The Star Trek question thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Another interesting one from Marina Sirtis saying Paramount threatened to replace her with Jeri Ryan in Nemesis.
http://trekmovie.com/2017/08/05/stl...ace-her-with-jeri-ryan-for-star-trek-nemesis/
Nemesis had a great deal of problems, but I dunno...maybe just keeping Troi around for the wedding, then having Admiral Janeway send Seven Of Nine to Picard may have been an improvement. Maybe, we could have been spared that ridiculas Reman/Picard Clone psychic rape scene.

The biggest problem (I think) with the Animated Series is just the overuse of the same animation over and over and over again. I realize it was due to budget constraints, but if you watch several in a row the repetition of shots becomes laughable. But to give it its credit, some of the episodes are very well written.

I don't know where I read this or even if it is true but I have heard that some of the scripts for TAS were actual scripts that would have been used if there had been a fourth season of TOS. Considering some of the ones that made it to the screen in season 3 that might not be saying much.

Another interesting one from Marina Sirtis saying Paramount threatened to replace her with Jeri Ryan in Nemesis.
http://trekmovie.com/2017/08/05/stl...ace-her-with-jeri-ryan-for-star-trek-nemesis/
Nemesis had a great deal of problems, but I dunno...maybe just keeping Troi around for the wedding, then having Admiral Janeway send Seven Of Nine to Picard may have been an improvement. Maybe, we could have been spared that ridiculas Reman/Picard Clone psychic rape scene.

I'm not even sure on the timeline, was Voyager back by then? I was watching Voyager yesterday and trying to figure out how Seven would have escaped becoming a Starfleet captive. I can't see they would be very happy if their just arrived docile Borg decided to go be an artist rather than help them with Borg intelligence and being their specimen to study. That's one area where I thought the Voyager homecoming sucked big time. They should have had another episode to show them being welcomed home. They spent a lot of time on their families, Tom Paris and his dad for instance, and we never got to see any of that.

Okay, I will.

Those handful of episodes you say are good enough to be considered canon...do you think they'd pass this test?

Let's say, a guy like me, who's been watching TOS since the early 70s, but never watched any of these animated episodes, was told there were a handful of TOS episodes that never aired, but that only the audio existed. And then you gave this guy those handful of canon-worthy animated episodes, but only the audio. After listening to them, would he believe they are lost TOS episodes?

The Wook
I used to watch this every Saturday. It's definitely worth watching. While some of them seem to violate canon almost all of them are quite well written - even with the primitive animation. A big plus is that the real actors did the voice work which goes a long way towards authenticity. The only fella who didn't make it in the show was Chekov (budget) but every major actor is there.

My favorite episode was probably "The Slaver Weapon" which was adapted from the Larry Niven short story, "The Soft Weapon." That one stimulated my imagination and curiosity so much as good sci-fi is meant to do.

Go watch it. I have them all on DVD.

Q

Yeah Bro, do yourself a favor and watch. It's a bit cheesy, with a distinctive 70's vibe...but fun. There's a handfull of episodes that are good enough, that they should be considered canon.

Mind you, there are a handful of cringey episodes.
And the animation is very limited----even by 70s TV standards!
But the good ones are... well, good!

The biggest problem (I think) with the Animated Series is just the overuse of the same animation over and over and over again. I realize it was due to budget constraints, but if you watch several in a row the repetition of shots becomes laughable. But to give it its credit, some of the episodes are very well written.

Despite all that let us not forget there is one huge element that makes TAS great - and that's the use of the principal cast in the voice acting. Even today you're not going to get that kind of attention with an animated series and it really detracts from the value.

I would take the cheesy animation any day if it meant we get the voice actors and good writing, which TAS has. It was also superb in that this was a Saturday morning cartoon show! How I wish there were cartoons today that were written like this show.

Heck, I'd even take a radio drama with the real cast and good stories over a CGI-animated spectacle with nameless voice actors impersonating the principle characters.

I'm not even sure on the timeline, was Voyager back by then? I was watching Voyager yesterday and trying to figure out how Seven would have escaped becoming a Starfleet captive. I can't see they would be very happy if their just arrived docile Borg decided to go be an artist rather than help them with Borg intelligence and being their specimen to study. That's one area where I thought the Voyager homecoming sucked big time. They should have had another episode to show them being welcomed home. They spent a lot of time on their families, Tom Paris and his dad for instance, and we never got to see any of that.

Voyager's finale really should have been several episodes long, not just one. At the minimum 3, 1 setting up the circumstances that allow them to get home, another to show them getting home, then the last one showing them home and how things worked out for them in the end.

One thing I can't figure out is how Janeway got to be an Admiral ahead of Picard. Wasn't she junior to Picard and although it's not unheard of for people to be promoted ahead of more senior peers it's only in cases of either connections or (more commonly) because they're just so good at what they do. In this case, not only is Picard the senior captain but also the better one.

Picard listened to Kirk and took his advice!

One thing I can't figure out is how Janeway got to be an Admiral ahead of Picard. Wasn't she junior to Picard and although it's not unheard of for people to be promoted ahead of more senior peers it's only in cases of either connections or (more commonly) because they're just so good at what they do. In this case, not only is Picard the senior captain but also the better one.

Picard listened to Kirk and took his advice!

True, I forgot about how you can refuse promotions in Starfleet and gum up the works. That must have been how Janeway got promoted to Admiral, they offered Picard and he refused but they still had an open Admiral's slot to fill so they gave it to their number X choice, Janeway.

Either that OR. zips up flame suit, they STILL have affirmative Action in the future! :D

True, I forgot about how you can refuse promotions in Starfleet and gum up the works. That must have been how Janeway got promoted to Admiral, they offered Picard and he refused but they still had an open Admiral's slot to fill so they gave it to their number X choice, Janeway.

Yeah, it's Admiral Janeway that orders Picard to Romulus.

Nemesis was just bad. I doubt that switching Troi out for Seven would have improved things any. (I prefer Troi anyway.)

:facepalm Guess how many times I've seen that movie?

Voyager's finale really should have been several episodes long, not just one. At the minimum 3, 1 setting up the circumstances that allow them to get home, another to show them getting home, then the last one showing them home and how things worked out for them in the end.

I think it's because Picard didn't want to be an Admiral because it would take him away from commanding a ship. Janeway probably had had enough so she was happy to be back at SF HQ.

Captain Janeway, for taking one of our most advanced, cutting-edge ships, and getting it lost for who-knows-how-many years, we hereby promote you to Admiral, in the hopes that you'll never sit in a Captain's chair again. Oh, and you explored the Delta Quadrant. And got turned into a lizard.

Captain Janeway, for taking one of our most advanced, cutting-edge ships, and getting it lost for who-knows-how-many years, we hereby promote you to Admiral, in the hopes that you'll never sit in a Captain's chair again. Oh, and you explored the Delta Quadrant. And got turned into a lizard.

giphy.gif

1) Picard listened to Kirk's advice and stayed on as a Captain.

2) The Voyager crew received a hero's welcome home and became celebrities. In the meantime, Starfleet reviewed seven years worth of logs and data from Voyager, including all information regarding all contacts along the way... and collectively crapped their pants. Janeway so dreadfully mismanaged a number of problems along the way that it's a miracle that the entire Delta Quadrant wasn't in flames when they left (though, in Star Trek: Online, the entire Delta Quadrant story arc explores just exactly how badly Janeway screwed up in the DQ). In a stunning mirror of what happened to Kirk, Janeway was publicly promoted to admiral as a reward for her service, but this was a punishment, not a reward. Mainly, they wanted to GET HER OUT OF COMMAND OF A STARSHIP so she couldn't screw anything else up. The only reason she wasn't cashiered and sent to Starfleet's equivalent of Rura Penthe was her celebrity status.

Say, you fellas need to back off my Kathryn. Captain Janeway is my favorite captain in the franchise...after TOS Kirk, of course. I might even like her better than movie Kirk.

The Wook

Yes, I've noticed that repetition on the animation. So I'm not binge watching them. Maybe an episode or two a week. I might step up the pace. Just watched The Lorelei Signal, and it was the best of the first few I've seen. I liked it. Not just because of all the hot blondes, but because the episode had an interesting story and some good tension. Plus, to circle back to your point, lots of fresh animation.

The Wook

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back