Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas?

I get what your saying, is it a square looking snap? That last picture makes it look like it has sharp edges, and not round

Second picture almost looks like a key chain ring or something

OK so I've stared at this thing WAY longer than anyone ever should have LOL but I think I have it nailed down.
It's just normal snaps, but they're attached in a way that causes the strap to twist a very specific way.
It might be hard to explain but if you picture making a loop and snapping the ends together and then rotating the two halves of the snap against each other a half turn while they're still attached, I'm about 95% sure this is what's going on here. It's the ONLY way the snaps can attach in a way that causes that twist. Then there's even a THIRD snap on the long tail end.
I'm assuming this was meant to be some last minute adjustable strap to attach the bottle to his pack.
I'm making up a revised tutorial now.
I cut a new strap this morning and took measurements lining it up with each frame of the movie to make sure everything folds and lays the right way to ensure I get the right position and orientation. I don't have snaps at the moment so I'll have to go get some tomorrow.

Like I said....WAY too much time staring at this thing. I'm going to have bad dreams about Sea Cow nipples for months to come I'm sure.

Last edited:
why is it that we get attached to props that aren't always black and white. then again where would the fun be in trying to figure it all out and come up with a solution. i think trying to find the parts, and trouble shooting is the best part of prop building

you sir have put some serious time into this bottle decoding, my hat is off to you!

images

I will be making one of these as well...once I get my 3D printer! Thanks for all the hard work to make this look so great!!

why is it that we get attached to props that aren't always black and white. then again where would the fun be in trying to figure it all out and come up with a solution. i think trying to find the parts, and trouble shooting is the best part of prop building

you sir have put some serious time into this bottle decoding, my hat is off to you!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...d-WGQLT_DcVRV-z2cEyNh16zNYkeaCDtgbiTyjlLxyAZw

definitely. Things like this are usually looked at on different levels from the dismissive to the outright obsessive.

Level 1. It's a bottle. Lame...

Level 2. It's a custom bottle with a strap. cool bottle, stupid scene.

Level 3. It's a custom bottle with a strap that's made out of a different material than the band. It would be funny to have one of those but nobody would know what it was

Level 4. It's a custom bottle with a strap that's made out of a different material than the band and it's constructed of a loop attached by a rivet on one end, and what looks like another look tied by twine. Hmm I think I'll make one!

Level 5. It's a custom bottle with a strap that's made out of a different material than the band and it's constructed of a loop attached by a rivet on one end, and what looks like another look tied by twine but now that the movie is out, I'm not so sure it's another loop. hmmm. OMG there's snaps on it! WTF? Ok so if these are generic snaps, then this is the cap of the female end and that looks like the prong of the male end, but in this other shot it looks like they're snapped together. But if they're snapped together then why is the strap twisted? If it's twisted and you undid the snap, then it wouldn't look like in the other shot. so is that the BACK of the male end? did they have TWO bottles? why is it snapped and twisted? is it because it was a loop but it turned out while being handled? and if so, why is there a third snap on the bottom? Is that the top layer twisted or the bottom layer turned over on top of it? I wish I could see that 2 inch space behind the bottle because this doesn't make ANY ******* SENSE! Ok Start over. Freeze this frame, hold your replica bottle up to it and follow the strap. yeah ok it angles and then turns and then yeah ok there's the snap from the other shot about 6 inches down. I've made 3 of them and reprinted the parts 5 times because I keep finding things wrong with it. I went to another town specifically to find gray leather. I MUST HAVE THE MOST ACCURATE GREEN SEA COW MILK BOTTLE ON THE PLANET!!!!

Edit: And now that I go back and look at the Visual Dictionary version. WTF!? is that a snap? and it has the same twist in the strap!. ughh....

Screen Shot 03-13-18 at 04.02 PM.PNG

Last edited:
Sneaky sneaky.... sure does look like something is there!! I think your right trent, I bet the strap is the same damn strap on screen!

Wonder what the heck happened to the original bottle on screen?!

If the strap is exactly the same, it makes me wonder if the bottle was damaged while filming. Haven’t seen the film yet on Blu-ray but I remember in the theater he drops it a few times...

I could easily be over thinking and multiple bottles were made at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A VFX artist has said the bottle used in closeups was CGI. That would explain inconsistencies.

Hmmm.... I honestly would never even have considered that, as much as I've stared at it. But now that you mention it, when I watch it at full speed, there might be a slight twitch here and there that could possibly be key framing issues indicating it's CGI, but if it is it's DAMN GOOD.

Another bit of evidence for that is the behind the scenes documentary. When it shows them filming that scene, the close up is of the Visual Dictionary Bottle (go figure) and only shows the top of it, but you can tell it's an earlier take. The milk is white.
But there's a camera angle from further away that shows him holding the bottle and to me it looks like the one seen on screen. I seriously doubt they would have replaced it with a CGI bottle for a far away shot of him in the 'making of' documentary, but it's far away so I could be wrong.

Interesting.

Danny, I bet you're right. They talk about filming that scene in both a studio and on location on the rocks. It shows them flying the seacow puppet in and out by helicopter.
I bet it's the on-set shot that has a different bottle. I watched for it to turn up again in the background when they were showing all the props but I didn't ever see it.

Edit: WOW @Xxblackbird I think you're right! it's a CG bottle! when he takes a drink, it jumps a bit in his hand from frame to frame, and there's an inner wall of the glass that's visible and then fades away, like they blended that bottle over the actual one. It was probably a decision to make it more visible for the milk to be seen. That's CRAZY! I can't believe I didn't see that before! I guess staring at individual frames makes it harder to spot differences and unrealistic movements. Still that is some really good CG work! That is a huge help! do you remember where you read / saw that? I'm curious to see if there's additional video floating around somewhere.

Last edited:
Holy crap there is a lot of CG coverup through out this whole film... kinda disappointed the bottle wasn’t real... I’ll report back to read this again, my mind isn’t right from being up more then 24 hours removing this damn snow..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, CG on no - I much prefer the shape seen in the film so, IMHO, your screen-accurate projects Trent & Halliwax (and mine to a lesser extent!) look ten times better than the VD one!
I raise a bottle of green milk to you both!

Last edited:
Well, CG on no - I much prefer the shape seen in the film so, IMHO, your screen-accurate projects Trent & Halliwax (and mine to a lesser extent!) look ten times better than the VD one!
I raise a bottle of green milk to you both!

Wait til I post pics of my TLJ watching party tomorrow LOL.

Holy crap there is a lot of CG coverup through out this whole film... kinda disappointed the bottle wasn’t real... I’ll report back to read this again, my mind isn’t right from being up more then 24 hours removing this damn snow..

I'm in shorts and am about to go fly my paramotor this afternoon. Just thought I'd rub it in.
;)

this now makes total sense why the straps are the same! im curious to why there is so much CGI coverup through out this film... i also wonder why they wanted to change the bottle? granted the bottle on screen is far more beautiful then the VD bottle.

im just really intrigued at how much CGI rework has been done through out this entire film... and half ass job at some of it too

OK! I'm gonna call this one done. I'm sick of staring at it LOL!

So here's what I think is going on. This is the only configuration that I can think of that fits all of the screenshots and makes at least some sense.
I know now that the bottle itself (the glass) is CG over the Visual Dictionary bottle, but the strap and band are real. (Hence why it's the same as the Visual Dictionary bottle).

Here's how I think it's made.
0.JPG

It's got one post end of the snap on a short end, and two socket ends of the snap on the long end.
Here's what I THINK was the original intention of this design. It was meant to be snapped as a LOOP. Maybe the loop was too tight or loose to strap it to his pack so a second snap was added, making it adjustable.
Large loop
1.JPG

Small Loop
2.JPG

Well, if it's snapped on the small loop, and the loose end starts to come out, watch what happens! The snap post rotates in its socket causing a twist in the strap.
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Now compare this to the screen shots and it all matches up.
In the first shot, it's unsnapped.
Screen Shot 03-15-18 at 12.07 PM.PNGIMG_6101.JPG

In the second shot, it's snapped on the small loop and twisted out.
Screen Shot 03-15-18 at 12.08 PM.PNGIMG_6096.JPG

Then as he lifts the bottle, the strap slips down over the back side and you can see the second snap on the end of the strap
Screen Shot 03-15-18 at 12.08 PM 001.PNGIMG_6098.JPG

If anybody has any better guesses about how this is actually made, please chime in. There's never a full shot of the whole strap so we just can't know (and probably shouldn't even care).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back