Event Horizon kit - At Last!

Dalroi:
Assume the hull sections are solid. Yes?
I'm seriously looking at the smaller scale as even the 1/4000 scale is pricey.
Will watch for your build progress.
Tommie

Dalroi:
Assume the hull sections are solid. Yes?
I'm seriously looking at the smaller scale as even the 1/4000 scale is pricey.
Will watch for your build progress.
Tommie

Hi Tommie,

Yes the main sections are solid (the mating surfaces are flat), rigid but quite light so there are likely to be voids created within the parts as part of the printing process to save materials.

I will get to building as soon as I can, much as I want to get working there are other "life" things I need to sort out first. :(

Dalroi

D:
Thanks for your reply.
Am thinking I'd like to add at least a minimum of lighting if at all possible. Guessing if I had an open core, I could run fine fiber optics from the outside of the solid hull sections to the core and then bundle them. The questions are, does the 1/4000 kit version have the same voids and secondly, am I crazy enough try this!

Just purchased a 1/2000 (under the influence of brandy).
Really liked the base for the 1/4000 but will build similar for the larger ship but that is not available for the 1/2000
Looks unlikely that fiber optics will be a lighting option. Will try to use reflective paint an UV light source to illuminate the hull.
(Have used this once before without great success...alas.)
Tommie

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 5.29.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-16 at 5.28.55 PM.png

After communicating a few times with Oscar at Factori 3D, I chose the big fella at 1/2000.
Oscar is going to see if it may be possible to create and open core for fiber optics but I'm not holding him to it.
Always find that ads on other sites tempt you with the "going fast" or "only two available" but apparently this time it was for real as after purchase, the Factoria site now says "SOLD".

Last edited:
Received a note from Oscar @ F3D today. He reports that it will take extra time, but he'll attempt to hollow the bow and stern sections. This will allow me to add fiber optics of various sizes to more closely match the movie version. (Again, was a fan of the first 1/2 of the film but once it ran off the tracks, I stopped recommending the film to friends or enemies!)

Tommie Psyched!

Last edited:
F3D makes this base for the 1/4000 version of the Horizon but not the 1/2000. Will do my best to fabricate one similar with two sheets of Plex.... and lots of sheer luck.
Screen%20Shot%202018-01-11%20at%205.35.47%20PM.pngScreen%20Shot%202018-01-11%20at%205.35.22%20PM.png

Attachments

• Screen%20Shot%202018-01-11%20at%205.35.22%20PM.png
    Screen%20Shot%202018-01-11%20at%205.35.22%20PM.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Dalroi:
Were you required to pay import charges or
tariffs? Noticed in fine print that all duty charges are the responsibility of the buyer?
I buy parts from China with no duty and believe Japan as well.
Thanks

Another, more group relatevant question: Suggestions on how to make this spatter effect on the base. Am thinking of using 2 pieces of plex; the bottom black and the top clear.

Dalroi:
Were you required to pay import charges or
tariffs? Noticed in fine print that all duty charges are the responsibility of the buyer?
I buy parts from China with no duty and believe Japan as well.
Thanks

Sorry for the delay replying (life getting in the way of enjoyment again), luckily I live in the UK so there were no customs charges at my end.

You will most probably have to pay customs charges when it arrives in the US, as I always get stuck with them when buying from the US and other locations world-wide. :(

Apologies for being the bearer of ill-tidings on this occasion.

Dalroi.

Dalori:
The Parts picture you posted and the top of thread. Had you done any cleanup or was this the parts right out of the box? Have included pix I received today and assume Oscar took these right from the printer. "Flash" is the term for resin but these 3D parts look to have something similar.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Tommie

icm_fullxfull.147911260_nc6xth9b80gc8c44cook.jpgicm_fullxfull.147911284_pq1oo5sh77k48owsckgg.jpg

Attachments

• icm_75x75.147911284_pq1oo5sh77k48owsckgg.jpg
    icm_75x75.147911284_pq1oo5sh77k48owsckgg.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Hi Tommie,

The photos show the parts as I received them, with no clean-up whatsoever.

Dalroi.

Wow that is amazingly accurate. I should know I lead the model crew that made it under David Sharpe miniature FX supervisor and Richard Yuricich VFX supervisor. Theres a lot on that model I actually built myself.View attachment 796135

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 796136View attachment 796137View attachment 796138View attachment 796139View attachment 796140
great film and love the miniature's.really nice work.
awsome pix flimzy,thanks for posting.always on the look out for more reference on the model work from event horizon.:)

Thanks so much for posting! Am most encouraged by your take on the model. Am sure Oscar at Factoria 3D will be thrilled with your post.
He's determined to create and send a first rate, large scale version of the EH and I'm hoping to paint and light her faithful to your original.

Best,
Tommie

Last edited:
I've got lots of story's from that job . I picked which one of the concepts we made it was designed be Julian Caldo a friend of mine, if you look at it side on it's the arm of a record player. The model was also covered in Star Wars micro machines. It was a bit of a running joke.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back