Tomb raider dial puzzle

Still learning but I think I got a good copy of the top dial. Starting to get a feel for it.

20180605_175651.jpg
20180605_185150.jpg

There are several shots of Disc 3 in the movie (it's still inverted from the symbol orientation in the journal) and most of the symbols are shown on the journal page. Fewer shots of Disc 4 and still fewer of Discs 2 and 1.

Mike's suggestion of the oracle bone script may not match, but unless there are more character/symbol pages in the journal (or someone with a screen-used/production puzzle comes forth), I guess it's anyone's choice as to what the arrangement is.

CJ - have you tried a mock up paper tape to see how many symbols might be on each disc?

- - - Updated - - -

the attachment:
Screen cap discs.jpg

Nice work. Are you using the pictures from the auction as well? I haven't tried marking any rolls yet. The strips are about half an inch wide. You can use the measurements in my previous post to find the circumference of each dial (pi x diameter), then guesstimate?

Since this was posted in a public Facebook group, I think it's ok to post here. Here's what the owner of the original prop says when asked for information to make a replica.

20180606_062551.jpg

Yep. I guessed the tape in your pictures to be 1/2" and scaled the mock-up strips based on your measurements. The spacing is just a guess to try to see how many symbols per disc.

And I guess that means we won't be hearing from the screen-used owner. I do understand, but there will be only one "real" one and all else are just replicas.

David

I originally thought the puzzle was supposed to be something Richard Croft found as a clue, but it's apparent from these images that he made the puzzle to help decode the door puzzle. That makes a lot more sense as to why it looks like it has a modern metal nut on top, masking tape, and modern tooling marks. I wish the movie had elaborated on the puzzles more.

I like it. That makes sense in the context of the movie story and also explains the less polished aspect of the puzzle. It was just a tool. And the taped on symbols strips and other apparent notations on the wooden discs, different colored symbols, arrows on the strips works into the tool puzzle idea. Good one!

I don't have that page, what I had is more like research notes, maps, cultural and historical findings, even layout of the tomb, but not much about the puzzles and traps.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back