3D Editors - Pros & Cons

Pixelworks

Hi All,

It is not my intention to open Pandora's box on which is the best 3D editor out there. I know practically every editor has its advantages and disadvantages and I have already tried a couple 3D editors, but I just have not found one that fits for me. That is why I would like to get some input from the community on various other options.

I have used Shapeway's TinkerCAD... it gets the job done and it is free, but it is not always easy to do complex shapes. On the other side, I have also tried working with SolidWorks. I can see that it would be quite an awesome tool except for the price and the fact that I am either just too dumb or old to understand it. :)

Basically, I am looking for something that is newbie-friendly and yet has the functionality to do really fine detail. It should support all the normal 3D file types (e.g. for home printers and 3rd Party sites like Shapeways). Lastly, just for the sake of performance and availability, I would prefer a locally installed program over a web-based tool, but that being said, I am still open for any top-notch web-app suggestions.

If I can get it for free, so much the better, but it does not necessarily have to be freeware, I am ok with paying for something that works.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Blender can do it if you want something free that can do advanced modeling
But realistically, if you want to do something advanced it's going to take some practice with a good software to get to that point.
Modo might be another option for you if you can spend some money. There's also some engineering programs like Rhino or Solidworks but that's getting more complicated.

I was at the exact same question about 5 years ago. I was used to draw with pen, compass and ruler as well as with 2D-CAD software, and I never regretted to follow the majority of suggestions I received back then, Rhino 3D. It is not free but, compared to other CAD software, reasonably priced. The 2D drawing functions are great to use, and it was easy to learn the extra dimension. What I wished it had was more parametric editing (i.e. in Rhino, if you revisit some model and you want to change some detail, like the radius of an edge fillet, you first have to redraw the edge and then fillet it again with the new radius. With parametric modelling, you could just change the radius in one go), but apart from that, I really love it for doing precise work.

If you can live with the facetting of pure mesh models, Blender is really the best program I could wish for, and it is free. It is very hard to learn the interface at the beginning, but after a while, it is most efficient (it took me 5 tries to learn the basics of Blender, but now I think it has the best user interface of all programs I ever used, once you get behind it). I have not done a lot of modeling in it but only sculpting, which works great. My impression is that complex and very accurate modeling is hard to do in Blender because of lacking CAD-like snapping functions, but I can be wrong here and it is only my lack of knowledge. A big plus for Blender is its capability of not only modelling, but also texturing, rendering and animating tools.

There is also FreeCAD, like the name sais, a free CAD program. I tried it 5 years ago, when it was not at a point where I could work with it, but it may have improved and you might want to check it.

That's my very subjective opinion.

There is also FreeCAD, like the name sais, a free CAD program. I tried it 5 years ago, when it was not at a point where I could work with it, but it may have improved and you might want to check it.

I use FreeCAD a lot actually. It's fine for non-organic shapes (weapons, ships, etc.), but I wouldn't see it working well for characters. It is a bit rough around the edges, but its a good tool.

I'd suggest looking into Zbrush if you're looking at sculpting stuff. I've never used it myself, but I know a lot of modelers do.

Another option for a CAD program would be Fusion 360. I think it is free for education users, not sure what pricing is like without that.

The main thing is that if you use a polygonal modeling software like Blender/Modo/3ds Max/Maya you will have to make sure that any rounded surfaces have a lot of polygons since you will see faceting if there isn't enough density. For software like Rhino or Solidworks it converts it to a polygonal mesh with a high density for curves automatically when you export to your 3D printer.

Are you looking to edit .stl files made by other people or make models from scratch?
For free editing there is mesh Mixer by auto desk.
If your making models from scratch are you doing Hard Surface models like space ships, weapons, armor, sci-fi helmets etc?
There are Nurbs modelers like fusion 360, Rhino, and Moi 3d. They are good at mechanical objects.
The advantage with nurbs models are you can usually go back and change things and you don't get faceted models when exporting to print.

With Polygonal models you will get faceting, those flat shapes on what should be a smooth surface, if you don't build the model right.
The con to polygonal models is you have to build it correctly from the start. Going back in and adding holes and changing things is a pain.
Then there are Polygonal modelers like Blender, which is free.
Heaxagon 3D is free also.
Rocket 3F is new, has a free version and a pro version that is fairly cheap.
Modo is a very good modeler but I'm not fond of the subscription pricing they have gone to.
But if you can afford it, I think it's $60 per month, it's a cheaper than buying the whole program at once.
3d max and Maya are good but may be a bit over kill for what you need.

For Organic objects, Characters, Animals, Sci fi helmets. There is 3d Coat and Zbrush.
They both have bit of a learning curve.
With the release of Zbrush 2018 you can pretty much model anything you want including hard surface Sci-helmets, armor etc.
It has a steep learning curve but it's worth learning it. You can also import .STL files and edit them.

No matter what software you get make sure your computer is up to it, at least 16 GB of ram. More if you can get it and a good graphics card.
You won't need a geforce 1080 card but the better the card the smoother things will run.
if you use Zbrush get a small wacom tablet. It will make life easier.

Last edited:
Love Rhino3D. I use it to generate graphics, 3D models to be meshed for X-Plane, 3D models for printing, general drafting of all kinds, spiffy renders of my spaceship and aircraft models... and I can import and export SolidWorks stuff too.

You'll get a different answer from everyone. I'd say just pick something, do a few tutorials, and see how it goes. Blender is free, but remember you can get all the AutoDesk stuff free with an educational license (you do not need to be in school to get it).

I started teaching myself Blender with zero 3D modeling experience and it has been great. Here's what I did with links to the tutorials:

Day 1, did the Thor's Hammer tutorial start to finish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yxrke72isQ), hands down clearest tutorial I've ever done.
mjolnir.png

Day 2, modeled the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo from scratch--had to do it a few times but came out nice and clean. Going to print this and make a wall hanging like the intro screen to the show.
shield.png

Day 3, decided to play with curves so went back and added the knot work on the Thor's Hammer pommel and did a Hydra version of the logo. Takeaway: curves are hard.

Day 4, did Chris Kuhn's drone turotial--a little harder to follow as he's not explaining every keystroke, but got through it with a few tries and a lot of google searches (on his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/345392525548878/videos/1096853280402795/). Also just check out this guy's work if you like sci-fi stuff.

At that point I felt like I knew enough to start some of the real projects I want to do. It's not the easiest software in the world to pick up--you can't just open it and start clicking around to figure it out--but it's really not bad. Right now I'm doing a test print of the tail section of the Normandy SR1 that I modeled last night.

I've got a huge amount left to learn obviously, but I'm into real projects a few days after starting out. All it took was a few hours of practice a day for a few days.

Thank you everyone for your input, quite a few of the mentioned editors I have heard of, but many of them are new. I will have to google the suggestions here and there, but I think i will find something that fits.

I remember reading a post here somewhere about an editor someone was praising, I think it was called something like Sunrise or Skyline or something really off-topic like that. Does that ring any bells?

Are you looking to edit .stl files made by other people or make models from scratch?

If your making models from scratch are you doing Hard Surface models like space ships, weapons, armor, sci-fi helmets etc?

I have no idea if I will be editing .Stl files, nevertheless it is always a good option. I will check out the mesh mixer, thanks for the tip.

Yes, the large majority will be hard surfaces, either Ships or rather parts of them.

Just a word about this. I use Solidworks daily in my job and I've tried Blender. To me, Blender has a much larger learning curve than Solidworks. It could be because I come from Autocad background and SW is fairly similar in the way sketches are created and that Blender essentially hot key driven with few obvious menus to follow. (at least that's how it was on the version I tried 10 years ago or so.)

I too would love to find a free 3D program that's intuitive like Solidworks but NOT costing an arm and a leg.

Bill

What ever software you use learn how to make a good model with clean topology.
Meaning edges are welded together, no double sides surfaces, no lose vertexes.
Start with simple models are work up from there.
I've seen people spend weeks on a model and find out they can't print it because it was badly built.
There are quite a few model like that on Thingverse.

Okay guys, I’m gonna be that guy. What about MAC’s? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ever software you use learn how to make a good model with clean topology.
Meaning edges are welded together, no double sides surfaces, no lose vertexes.
Start with simple models are work up from there.
I've seen people spend weeks on a model and find out they can't print it because it was badly built.
There are quite a few model like that on Thingverse.

This! That's why in my opinion, if you can get afford to get solids based modeling program as opposed to mesh based you're already ahead of the game. There are much less hassles when you're starting with a solid part as opposed to checking vertexes and faces to ensure closed topology.

Bill

I find you need to know at least one of each type of program.

In 3D, think of a Polygon modeler like a 2D Bitmap editor. (Photoshop). You can edit with layers, but what you see is what you get. Editing requires moving polygons or vertexes around.

A solid modeler is more like a 2D Vector art editor. (Illustrator). In a solid, or parametric modeler, you of buildup and then sculpt away. You can assign dimensions and other details to a model which can change the whole model using math and variables. Editing in solid modeler can be much easier than a polygon modeler. However, they don't work as well with organic shapes.

Historically, a solid modeler is used for real-world product design, such as a gun. And a polygon modeler is used for organic virtual asset design. Such as video game character. The lines between these two types is getting blurred all the time.

I have seen great things from Fusion360, which is apparently now free for home and student use. There is also 123D.
I also often use SketchUp for fast concept modeling, or for large scale architectural models. I also use Meshmixer to edit STL files.

If you can get your hands on a expensive solid modeler through school or work then you can do some amazing things. You do get what you pay for, mostly in ease of use and overall capability. Blender is free, but I found it frustrating to use. Despite the fact that I have used and learned many other similar programs.

zapwizard, I totally agree with you about organic shapes. I deal in mechanical design for work so that's where my comfort zone is. I've never 3D modeled anything organic so fortunately haven't had to learn any meshbased program. But I do want to get into figure modeling so at some point I know I'm going to have to take the plunge and learn how to do it. I've played with a free sample version of Zbrush and love the nature of how it works, but never got into it enough to do any serious modeling. And I believe it's pretty expensive as well.

Bill

@niart17, zbrush is awesome once you learn it. But too expensive for occasional use. Meshmixer actually has quite a few tools which are similar to zbrush for adding details.

I recently made a Rose Tico medallion by first using a solid modeler to make the initial shape, and then I used meshmixer to add weathering and details that you can't do in a solid modeler.

@Pixelworks, I forgot to mention OnShape. It is a pro-level CAD program that runs in a browser. It is also completely free, as long as you don't mind sharing every single thing you work on with the whole world. (Which is why I haven't touched it). It is a 100% sketch based modeler however, where other programs such as SolidEdge allow for more flexibility in how you arrive at a final model.

As someone who only dabble in 3D but is an expert in Photoshop and good with Illustrator I found Maya fairly easy to use and learn, I was actually able to teach myself how to use it to a modest level of competency. To be fair, I did do so at work so I had access to people who actually learned the program in school to fall back on whenever I needed help, but learning was a lot like watching a tutorial since I learned a lot by simply watching and asking.

Anyhow, Maya is a very powerful program and is great if you plan on getting into modelling. It really allows you a great deal of flexibility in how you model or even edit an existing model. Of course, with that power comes the ability to monumentally mess things up since it's quite easy to over select parts of the model if you're not paying attention, something that happens to me a lot. The trade of is that it allows you to edit the model in minute detail and if the model is pretty basic (low poly) it's pretty easy to make it more detailed or you can remove some detail, if needed, too.

I remember reading a post here somewhere about an editor someone was praising, I think it was called something like Sunrise or Skyline or something really off-topic like that. Does that ring any bells?

I finally remembered the name, Spaceclaim from Ansys. I was looking at the website, it seems complicated but has some really nice features.

I recommend Fusion 360 and Mudbox. Mac or PC you just load your models from the cloud anywhere. Free for education and non commercial use. Even if you have to pay for Fusion360 it would be worth it. Otherwise Blender but that has a steep learning curve and is a bit tricky for 3d printing output I find

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back