Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Now.....a thing I was wondering.....where did the Gorilla walkers & the Death Star tech cannon come from.....if the FO armada was destroyed?

What were the resistance guys going to do with their rickety B-Wing type speeders?....unlike in ESB we knew the snowspeeders were planning on using laser weapons...but had to change to tow-cable.....also these new speeders couldn't leave the ground,....what was their plan of attack?

How did Finn get up onto the BB8 scout walker....why did the protective part of the BB8 scout walker come off,...that is a mini tank,...there were 4 security chains holding the walker back....they would have broken before the top tank part came off.....why was the seat & controls left?.........because the audience need to know it was BB8 driving

Its just a cheap & stupid script
38502680.jpg

J

The problem is that we all have seen the Empire fall,....peace restored in the galaxy.....the two evil force users destroyed.......then 30 years later in the ST,....everything is set up again.....how & why....was Snoke around at the end of the OT....where did he come from.....its like you killed all the bad guys in a sealed room.....then you turn round & there are more of them....where did they come from

Thats the difference between the Emperor & Snoke......we didnt need to know how Palps got into power

J

I still don't see why we "need to know" how Snoke came into power. The OT story wasn't about how the Empire came to be, much like this isn't about how the First Order rose to power. Heck, I'd argue we get far more exposition as to how the antagonist of the ST came to be in Kylo Ren than we ever did with Vader or The Emperor. Vader was seduced by the Dark Side through The Emperor. That's all we ever get. Here we get the same thing except we actually get some insight into what happened to Ben Solo. Seduced by the Dark through Snoke just like his grandfather. And instead of focusing on the drama surrounding someone from the Skywalker bloodline falling to the dark yet again, people demand to know more about Snoke? To each their own, but it just isn't important to me within the context of this tale.

rouge one 9/10
A New Hope 9/10
Empire Strikes Back 9/10
Return of the Jedi 8/10 (Ewoks?)
The Phantom Menace 8/10 (loved Darth Maul hated midichlorians)
Attack of the Clones 7/10
Revenge of the Sith 8/10
The Force Awakens 9/10
The Last Jedi 9/10 (need to watch it a load more to confirm I'm happy with 9/10. I thought it was an entertaining movie and it was great to see Luke Skywalker again).

I still don't see why we "need to know" how Snoke came into power. The OT story wasn't about how the Empire came to be, much like this isn't about how the First Order rose to power. Heck, I'd argue we get far more exposition as to how the antagonist of the ST came to be in Kylo Ren than we ever did with Vader or The Emperor. Vader was seduced by the Dark Side through The Emperor. That's all we ever get. Here we get the same thing except we actually get some insight into what happened to Ben Solo. Seduced by the Dark through Snoke just like his grandfather. And instead of focusing on the drama surrounding someone from the Skywalker bloodline falling to the dark yet again, people demand to know more about Snoke? To each their own, but it just isn't important to me within the context of this tale.

To tell you the truth,...I really don't give a damn about the unanswered TFA questions.....it's just the lack of structure & logic of the film that annoys me.....but what I was showing you that using the Emperor as an example of not needing to know where a character originated from as being the same as Snoke was not relative

As a side note,...although never mentioned in the films....Palpatine's backstory was mentioned in the novelisation of the film by George Lucas back in '77

‘The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that … it was the Republic.
Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic thrived and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.
So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from the outside.
Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.
Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.
Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the Imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.
But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.
From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across the galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples…
From the First Saga
Journal of the Whills

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything I mentioned pages back for one. The significance of lukes lightsabre, reys parentage, how the force "worked", who snoke was, why kylo went bad, Lukes character in general...

Also, I dont get how Hux went from semi-capable general to bumbling buffoon in the span of a few minutes in screen time. Every scene he is in either shows his incompetence, or makes a joke out of him.

The film didn't disregard Rey's parentage. We were very specifically given an answer, which is what fans wanted. Is it that you're unhappy with the answer? Blame JJ Abrams, his "mystery box," and the fact that he left a simple plot device hanging for fans to obsess over. Rey's parents only needed to be one thing: The reason for Rey to refuse the Call to Adventure -- the exact same purpose Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru served in A New Hope. That's it.

If Abrams were a stronger storyteller, once Rey overcame her objections and answered the Call, he wouldn't have left that thread dangling for fans to obsess over. Rian Johnson can hardly be blamed for realizing what everyone should have: that her parents no longer matter.

Regarding Snoke and Kylo, we didn't need to know who the Emperor was or why Vader turned to the Dark Side in the original trilogy. But, having said that, we are only on the second film of this new trilogy. Just because Snoke is dead doesn't mean there still isn't an opportunity for something about him to be learned in the next film, nor does it mean there is no longer the opportunity to learn what, exactly, drove Kylo to the Dark Side. We've been given two tantalizing teases about Kylo's backstory: the Knight's of Ren, and him destroying Luke's training temple. Now that Snoke is out of the way and the next film doesn't have to try to juggle two antagonists, there's more opportunity to learn about Kylo.

It's almost like people have written off all possibility for these films to continue to provide information as though this were the third act instead of the second.

But the way it's structured there is little left to answer. It plays more like the third act than the second act. And frankly I don't know that the remaining answers are going to add up to much of a story that will really be any good or one I could care about.

I'm glad people like the movie - I really am. But getting a little tired of folks on Facebook and elsewhere telling me the reason I didn't love this film is because I didn't "get it." It's getting old.

BVS had the same issue, I thought that movie an absolute turd and the fans of it were bounding around the internet telling the majority of people who saw it and didn't like it that they didn't 'get' it. I did. It stunk. JL comes out, gets better reviews and the 'fans' still want the Snyder cut that the studio purposely retooled, like the studio tries to not actually make money with their product.

Although devisive this movie isn't BVS bad.(apologies to the fans of BVS) Some out there might think so, but it's not. It's certainly not a franchise killer, either. Nor did it ruin your childhood. I do respect the opinion of people who don't like it, same as I really don't like the prequels. I still have never seen any of those more than once in the cinema. Nor did I see Jedi more than once. But I have seen the recent three SW flicks more than once. Or twice. Or even three times. I think time will be forgiving to this film, just as we remember Jedi with mostly fond memories, and that really isn't a great movie by any stretch, but still, it's Star Wars and we can love on it. I already do think TLJ is pretty fun and I look forward to seeing where they go with it.
It's not what I would have written, but I don't own the franchise, it's their sandbox and I figure they do have a clue. Now, if Solo sucks, and I mean sucks, just not a 'but its not Harrison' kind of suckage, then we can worry about the future of the franchise.

My crew we were all 13 years old give or take, we were blown away. The walkers. the asteroid field, a glimpse of Vader without his helmet, we actually see the emperor, a full on saber battle, some real teachings of the Force from a muppet! Boba Fett, the Imperial march, Williams cranked out a score with all kinds of good new stuff, just goes on and on. I think the biggest gripe was it was a cliffhanger, no happy ending and now we had to wait three years to find out what happens, and that included if Vader was his father or not, there was still some doubt. The space slug was another gripe, a bit silly. Basically minor concerns. So much was all new, and you took time to consume the film's content. Today it's wham bam show me something else. I certainly revere it now as much as I did then, moments still give me the same feelings to this day, Yoda raising the X-Wing. Luke's committment to his friends.... "Artoo... fire up the converters" As Yoda gives some final teachings in hope Luke will not turn. I won't call it the best, SW77 IS the best. Period. ESB was a fantastic followup to SW77, no sequel to such a perfect film as SW77 has ever been as satisfying.

I like this post... explains my feelings..

TLJ was not a bad movie.. but to say Star Wars: The last Jedi

More like.. The Last Jedi: A Star Wars Story

It comes down to "I have a bad feeling about this"...to... "ok..I'll hold"

Thing's I'm happy didn't happen in The Last Jedi

- no gray Jedi
- Kylo didn't turn
- Rey didn't turn
- Luke didn't turn
- Snoke wasn't The First Jedi
- Rey isn't a Kenobi
- Rey isn't a Palpatine
- No new Death Star
- No Rey double bladed lightsaber

WHAT??? Rey not double bladed lightsaber???? That would have been so cool...

It is certainly was cool with Darth Maul... and my characters on KOTOR

Im going to say.. and I hope people understand

The Emperor was portrayed just like Snoke was... And Snoke was portrayed, just like the Emperor was.. both portrayed like the "Master Controller".. the "Supreme Leader".. the ruler of all commands!!.. the puppet master....

But Snoke dies half way through the second episode????...what???

Then whose the Supreme Leader (in the Darkside bada$$ aspect).... Kylo?....really?... he is whiny crybaby boy...he cant be the "Sidious"..he cant be the best the Darkside has!!

.... and to top it off... we are more than half way through a trilogy!!.. Might as well called this. Star Wars: The Last Phantom Menace Jedi

Thats it... Im going see it one more time....:darnkids

It's very hard to judge a part 2 fairly without seeing part 3. While not probable, it is possible it makes 2 make a lot more sense or more palpable.

Seems as if JJ can't do anything he wants. Instead of Luke disappearing, he could have shut himself off from the force again and just took a monster dive into the ocean for a celebratory swim :)

He could change rey's parentage.

If you remember the supposed original outlines for 1-12, Obi wan supposedly crossed back into the living to help luke defeat the emperor. Perhaps he has luke do something similar...

Phasma could pack a parachute in that suit that deployed just when she fell out of site. Or since it's SW, repulsors..

They could go full Dallas on us and it turns out Leia died in the explosion and the rest was just a dream she had while dying...

Obviously none are likely to happen, but from the way they seem to be structuring things, none are impossible since the current director apparently gets to do whatever they feel like.

The film didn't disregard Rey's parentage. We were very specifically given an answer, which is what fans wanted. Is it that you're unhappy with the answer? Blame JJ Abrams, his "mystery box," and the fact that he left a simple plot device hanging for fans to obsess over. Rey's parents only needed to be one thing: The reason for Rey to refuse the Call to Adventure -- the exact same purpose Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru served in A New Hope. That's it.

If Abrams were a stronger storyteller, once Rey overcame her objections and answered the Call, he wouldn't have left that thread dangling for fans to obsess over. Rian Johnson can hardly be blamed for realizing what everyone should have: that her parents no longer matter.

Regarding Snoke and Kylo, we didn't need to know who the Emperor was or why Vader turned to the Dark Side in the original trilogy. But, having said that, we are only on the second film of this new trilogy. Just because Snoke is dead doesn't mean there still isn't an opportunity for something about him to be learned in the next film, nor does it mean there is no longer the opportunity to learn what, exactly, drove Kylo to the Dark Side. We've been given two tantalizing teases about Kylo's backstory: the Knight's of Ren, and him destroying Luke's training temple. Now that Snoke is out of the way and the next film doesn't have to try to juggle two antagonists, there's more opportunity to learn about Kylo.

It's almost like people have written off all possibility for these films to continue to provide information as though this were the third act instead of the second.
I'm not sure that Abrams had any other ideas about the parentage. He did say that the answer was in TFA. and I believe she does tell people that "I'm nobody"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that Abrams had any other ideas about the parentage. He did say that the answer was in TFA. and I believe she does tell people that "I'm nobody"

Im going to speak of the mind...

So a "nobody" can be somebody too?... Really.. is that where this Star Wars Movie!! is going?

Is this a documentary?

Im going to speak of the mind...

So a "nobody" can be somebody too?... Really.. is that where this Star Wars Movie!! is going?

Is this a documentary?
I'm pretty sure that is where the series is going. They're trying to get away from the lineage aspect of this opera. There is no chosen one. The force can be with anyone.

I think that's what the final shot was about

I'm pretty sure that is where the series is going. They're trying to get away from the lineage aspect of this opera. There is no chosen one. The force can be with anyone.

I think that's what the final shot was about

I hope I dont insult anyone.. but thats kind of PC..

I didnt fall in love with SW, to watch a documentary about some poor, nobody kid, come from nothing, to struggle and make it to the college football team... and have no history?

Great movie... But not Star Wars!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back