Qui Gon Jinn lightsaber 3d print

Skigro

Since finishing the work on my Obi Wan tpm saber, I needed a new project. Trying to decide between Ahsoka, gods or qui gon. Decided to go for qui gon since I’m in a prequel mood and it looked simple. (Definitely not simple)

Here is what I have after a couple of hours of work. Still need to add some guides to strengthen the sleeve and keep the grip innards straight. But before I do that I need some input on overall looks and dimensions. If you guys could help me out, that would be great.

Tell me what you think!

31fa3eb6170bee86d88621be544bffa3.jpg

088821fb9e66e1d558dfbc97018fab89.jpg

8849c92b41d69d15f793d60acb3e3422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like it! How are you planning on doing the chrome finish? Working on a resin cast one right now and I've got no idea, was thinking of a powder though
Since finishing the work on my Obi Wan tpm saber, I needed a new project. Trying to decide between Ahsoka, gods or qui gon. Decided to go for qui gon since I’m in a prequel mood and it looked simple. (Definitely not simple)

Here is what I have after a couple of hours of work. Still need to add some guides to strengthen the sleeve and keep the grip innards straight. But before I do that I need some input on overall looks and dimensions. If you guys could help me out, that would be great.

Tell me what you think!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/31fa3eb6170bee86d88621be544bffa3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/088821fb9e66e1d558dfbc97018fab89.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/8849c92b41d69d15f793d60acb3e3422.jpg

Not really thinking that far ahead right now. I’ve just been in a modeling fit lately. Not really worried about actually finishing and painting them. I’ll leave that up to whoever downloads and prints them.

I may be wrong but I don’t believe Qui Gon’s saber was chrome. Isn’t it just bare aluminum?

Really like it! How are you planning on doing the chrome finish? Working on a resin cast one right now and I've got no idea, was thinking of a powder though

Finished some more work on the qui gon lightsaber. It’s ready for prototyping stage. Unless anyone familiar with the Qui Gon lightsaber can tell me if anything looks wrong.

Not really thinking that far ahead right now. I’ve just been in a modeling fit lately. Not really worried about actually finishing and painting them. I’ll leave that up to whoever downloads and prints them.

I may be wrong but I don’t believe Qui Gon’s saber was chrome. Isn’t it just bare aluminum?

Oh I see, I thought you were producing the full print. It is aluminium like you said but the closest thing to replicating that in paint would probably be some sort of "chrome" paint or powder, only question is what

Yes, I will print it. Once I hit the prototype stage, I will print the parts as many times as it takes until I can print them with no problems and assemble it without issues. But thats as far as I will get for sometime. lol Mainly, because I will move on to new modeling project.

If I were to paint my saber models, I would probably use Alclad Laquers.

Oh I see, I thought you were producing the full print. It is aluminium like you said but the closest thing to replicating that in paint would probably be some sort of "chrome" paint or powder, only question is what

Last edited:
the design is wrong, especially on front part, I think the pommel has some wrong details too.
depending on versions the ring under red button is grey or black, but you can more choose black.
the silver color is roughly polished aluminum, as is the front ring, the flat front disc is nickel plated 1,5" iron ring and 3/8 (?) threaded rod in the middle.

qui gon jinn.png

Last edited:
Finished some more work on the qui gon lightsaber. It’s ready for prototyping stage. Unless anyone familiar with the Qui Gon lightsaber can tell me if anything looks wrong.

Hi,
Review the ring under the red knob.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

Thank you for the images of the prop. I was having a tough time finding some good shots. These images definitely clear up some geometry for me. I will make the changes soon.

The pommel is difficult, at least for me anyway. Since it is black it is hard to see the details in the grainy, poorly lit images of the prop.

I knew I had the button ring thing wrong, I was just hoping someone would point it out and tell me what was wrong. lol Now with these new images, I see what I need to change on it.

so the changes I can see are... Pommel shape, button ring shape, slight step down on neck just before the emitter, emitter face? See anything else?

the design is wrong, especially on front part, I think the pommel has some wrong details too.
depending on versions the ring under red button is grey or black, but you can more choose black.
the silver color is roughly polished aluminum, as is the front ring, the flat front disc is nickel plated 1,5" iron ring and 3/8 (?) threaded rod in the middle.

View attachment 817263

As a fan of Qui-gon, thank you for tackling this project! As much as I love the OT sabers, there's always been something about this hilt that stands out to me. It's hands down my favorite, and it's just nice to see it getting some love here. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this thread!

Ok. Update time. I modified the pommel. I modified the neck just before the emitter. I also modified the piece under the button.

Anything else that I missed?

Thanks for the critiques

d0ded7dcbb93ceb4f86eb68e8960e81f.jpg

299562abba9910879d2ea6dfaa64f402.jpg

Printed the main grip section. Not a fan of all the support material and how it wouldn’t come off well. Need to re-think how I print it for next time.

28f84ed1a791a37a7734a6c688e767c2.jpg

b7c562ba3d17a45047c5ec207c449e3d.jpg

e42813cd8d5734e288cb2dcfb4474068.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back