Stormtrooper helmet ID - Solved!

Twinsen

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi gang,

I recently got this helmet in a trade and i'm trying to find some info about it as it looks mighty good (at least to me). I was surprised at how close it resembles the helmet pictured on my lifesize standee.

Here's what I know so far :

- Helmet is at least 10 years old according to the seller
- Appears to be made of shiny ABS, approx 1.5mm thick, slightly off-white
- 2 part construction (back/cap and face)
- Ears are held on by flat head screws painted white (but they are not the correct brass type)
- Back/cap and face are attached with 2 rivets
- Deco is all decals except mouth, vocoder and ear centers which are painted on
- Mic tips are all black resin casts with embedded metal mesh and faint "hovi mix" script
- Lenses are individual, bulbous and dark green in color
- Brow trim comes down pretty low (Luke style)
- Neck trim is not the correct "S" shape
- Inside is completely empty (no foam or straps)
- Nothing indicated inside

Any input much appreciated !

PS: Picture taken 6 ft. away to minimize distortion

Attachments

• IMG_1520.png
    IMG_1520.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Re: Stormtrooper helmet ID

Could be an AP (AuthenticProps) helmet. Uncertain though. Seems to me to be of the Brian R lineage, but again, uncertain, as I was never that much into troopers.

I could believe that. It reminded me of the Follano (type 2) - which IIRC were from the same moulds (or 2nd gen moulds)

I had a couple of GF'S helmets/armour - always loved them as was a time when most troopers had the fugly bobblehead FX/GT's

Cheers

Jez

Thanks for your input guys ! It does look a lot like a GF helmet, or AP. Doesn't make much of a difference in the end, but it's always interesting to know where things come from.

I've taken it completely apart (removed the rivets) and will proceed to thoroughly clean it inside and out and give it a good wax job.

Aside from Fenix Props (Argentina) and VaderPainter (USA) is there a good supplier for lenses and neck trim within Europe?

By the way Jez, congratulations on your website, i've been ready anything and everything on it since maybe 2003 or 2004 and it has been a tremendous resource for decrypting and understanding the complex world of SW lids. The definitive who's who and what's what, that's for sure !

Last edited:

It is 10 Years old and the ABS is not yellow?My old VT bucket is yellow like hell.I must paint it next time.

Actually I noticed something rather interesting when taking it apart : it has yellowed quite noticeably but only in areas that were NOT exposed to sunlight.

The helmet is milky white on the outside but inside and underneath the ears it's noticeably yellow. Also, on the inside, the lenses were attached with tape. When I removed the tape the ABS under it was nice and white but the areas around it had yellowed.

I am familiar with the yellowing process of light/white plastics but usually it's the hidden parts that remain pristine and not the other way around...

Maybe it was painted white assembled, and so hidden parts did not get paint.

It's definitely not painted, just shiny ABS

Our very own @sskunky, aka CFO, is in the UK and should be able to solve that for you.

Thanks for the tip, i'll get in touch with him when this project is near completion !

Last edited by a moderator:

That with the yellow is really mysterious.I would also say that its painted.But if you say no...hm..:confused

Can you post a good pic of the yellow areas?

Any sign of marker pen on the inside? My GF helmet and armour is signed and dated but most of the helmet signature has worn off.

That's the best I can do, it's very hard to capture on camera. The area beneath the ears is quite noticeably yellow whereas the rest of the helmet is still pretty white.

I'm positive it's not painted, i've been cleaning up and sanding several areas and it's raw ABS.

IMG_1598.jpg

Any sign of marker pen on the inside? My GF helmet and armour is signed and dated but most of the helmet signature has worn off.

And we have a winner here! There is a veeeery faint outline of what most likely was a sticker but it's so subtle that I almost didn't see it. I can't even take a picture of it but here's a drawing of what it looks like. I guess it's safe to say that this is a VT helmet...

Capture d’écran 2018-03-30 à 00.17.10.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back