The Holy Grail...

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, so this is nothing new, but it's been a long time since I hand finished a Holy Grail replica, and getting Restaurajones' Grail Lion display was just the excuse I needed.

So, I started with one of the spare unfinished grails I have from the run I did years ago, cast from one of the original props. I painted it in a couple of coats of the usual clay red (Light Red Oxide, is the actual color I used) acrylic. I then used some of the adhesive that came with a gold leaf kit I bought years ago. The stuff dries relatively quickly, but stays tacky for a while, so there's no rush.

newgrail1_zps75ae84ce.jpg

I tried to coat the inside of the cup as fully as possible though, like the original I was basing this on, there are still small cracks so some red is visible.

newgrail2_zpsc27c0099.jpg

newgrail3_zps86463c54.jpg

I let everything dry overnight, though from what I remember, it's usually fine to proceed after only an hour or so... maybe even less. I rubbed off the excess leaf with my hands.

newgrail4_zps8fc7b895.jpg

I used to use plain greys to "dust" my replicas, but this time I used a color called "mushroom" which is more of a tan/grey. I applied it with a sponge in a couple of layers, making sure some areas were almost completely opaque (entirely covering the gold leaf). Finally, I added a little light grey into the mushroom to add some lighter patches like the hero prop.

newgrail5_zpsebadae86.jpg

And finally a shot of the Grail in its new home:

newgrail6_zps875ff231.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Really nice result for what seems like a relatively simple process although I'm sure your skill level is what makes it look great rather than just the process.

This turned out great! I really want to attack this project and if you end up doing another run it just might be the excuse i need to jump on to it. I am also arguing over either wood turning it or creating it out of clay, just to give it that authentic period feel. Any ideas on what would make more sense?

The display looks fantastic. My grail from your run has always been one of my favourite pieces. I'm always so careful when I pick it up that it feels like I'm handling the real thing :lol

This turned out great! I really want to attack this project and if you end up doing another run it just might be the excuse i need to jump on to it. I am also arguing over either wood turning it or creating it out of clay, just to give it that authentic period feel. Any ideas on what would make more sense?

From what I remember... There are "reasons" (that's all I can say) that will prevent Indy from ever doing a run of these ;)

Thanks for all the kind words. But yes, I'm afraid I won't be doing another run of these. I had a few left from my old run that I gave away to some friends and I've seen some floating around the secondary market. If anyone is looking for one, shoot me a PM and I'm sure I can point you in the right direction.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

As often happens, I wasn't completely satisfied with the finish, so I added some lighter shades of off-white... not sure if you can see the difference in the photo though...

mag-grail-DSCF0002_zps9c7fa424.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back