Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Actually, I think it's George that doesn't get it. He's too close to it to recognize that's it cringe worthy and not at all believable or enjoyable to watch. GL has proven since 1999 to have perhaps the lowest SWIQ of all.

Yup. But IMO it is not SWIQ but storytelling IQ. It simply does not work today if it worked for our great grand parents.

BUT on the other hand, the cynical and angst ridden view on things that IMO a lot of contemporary YOUNG movie makers show in their movies does not work well with SW either or in general. We grow with a lot of positive stuff, Idare say. But nowadays even Bob the Builder is sometimes really cynical.

Please tell me you didn't give her the "sand" speech!

Wait, you mean "sand in the crack isnt a good thing on the first date, lets go to my place?"-speech?

Why hasNO ONE pointed out that this is the closest to release of any Star Wars movie we've ever been without a full trailer?

I personally have a bad feeling about this...

The toys come out next week and we don't have even the second teaser???

Im afraid that they don't want to let the cat out of the bag because they KNOW that it's going to go the opposite way that most OT fans want it to go...

I know that for ME personally: If Luke is a patheticly week crazy hermit, and Rey is a nobody who just happens to be the most powerful force wielder with 0 training... and on top of that now they are hinting that "snoke is more powerful than the emporer"... then I call BS, and I'm out.

At that point the OT are the only cannon in my personal SWIQ database. With R1 as a fun lil side story.

Idk. I would love to be wrong and ep8 be awesome... the fact the toys are coming out before the FIRST FULL TRAILER? Is NOT very reassuring.

the fact that this thread isn't in the first 3 posts... let alone on the first page of this section...

To ME is not a good sign.

(Bryancd is gonna say that it is a tactic to keep the element of surprise in tact... I am preemptively calling BS! LOL.)

Why hasNO ONE pointed out that this is the closest to release of any Star Wars movie we've ever been without a full trailer?

I personally have a bad feeling about this...

The toys come out next week and we don't have even the second teaser???

Im afraid that they don't want to let the cat out of the bag because they KNOW that it's going to go the opposite way that most OT fans want it to go...

I know that for ME personally: If Luke is a patheticly week crazy hermit, and Rey is a nobody who just happens to be the most powerful force wielder with 0 training... and on top of that now they are hinting that "snoke is more powerful than the emporer"... then I call BS, and I'm out.

At that point the OT are the only cannon in my personal SWIQ database. With R1 as a fun lil side story.

Idk. I would love to be wrong and ep8 be awesome... the fact the toys are coming out before the FIRST FULL TRAILER? Is NOT very reassuring.

the fact that this thread isn't in the first 3 posts... let alone on the first page of this section...

To ME is not a good sign.

(Bryancd is gonna say that it is a tactic to keep the element of surprise in tact... I am preemptively calling BS! LOL.) [emoji6]

I'm not losing sleep over it. By this time there was too many R1 trailers. Spoiled too much of the movie for me... still to this day I can't believe they showed the Death Star firing in a trailer..

I still have faith, I'm not going to judge until the credits roll

I personally have a bad feeling about this... The toys come out next week and we don't have even the second teaser??? 

It looks like the final full trailer for The Force Awakens wasn't released until Oct. 19, 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

And they did the Force Friday thing for The Force Awakens on Sept. 4, 2015. So things for The Last Jedi seem to be following the same pattern.

Last edited:
I feel the same.

I'm super excited about this to begin with.. so i don't "need" another trailer to validate that I'm going to like the movie. Of course I would not at all mind it if one drops soon, but the lack of one doesn't seem like any just cause for me to fear impending doom, either.

When i used to work at a toy store many MANY years ago i remember thinking how odd it was we were selling Jurrasic Park figures BEFORE the movie even came out. But that didn't make the movie suck.... (some of the figures did) it was awesome!

The timing of toys vs. trailers... i don't see how that indicates anything of the strength of the movie.

I think it's best to not draw too many of our own conclusions about how much it might or might not suck and just wait and see.

Yup. But IMO it is not SWIQ but storytelling IQ. It simply does not work today if it worked for our great grand parents.

I disagree with this statement. The best stories are timeless and transcend generations. There was nothing original about the story of Star Wars. It had elements of the damsel in distress stories, heroes journey, and all the other influences that have been pointed out. It was a good story that could appeal to anyone of any generation. The SFX were the only thing new being brought to the table. There is always room to re-tell classic stories like King Arthur, Robin Hood, Odyssey, Romeo/Juliet ect. To think that they wouldn't work today because your great grandparents like it just doesn't sound right.

We had 2 trailers for ep7 by April 2015... 9 months before the movies release.

I really thought the full trailer came out mid summer and then a SECOND full trailer in oct. I can't find proof one way or another at the moment. (I Just did a quick search. Maybe someone will chime in.)

Prior to E7, there had been absolutely no Star Wars in 10 years.

I see it as a way to dial it back a bit and not overdo things BEFORE the movie is out. Sure, we'd like more trailers by now. Thing is, We did Rogue One 8 months ago, DVD was 4 months ago. As an overall company they likely also want to separate all their tent poles and do as much as they can to avoid stepping on one another.

April, R1 DVD
May, GOTG 2
June, Cars
July, spiderman
August, GOTG DVD
November Thor

That's just off the top of my head. They don't want people holding their money for just SW, they want everything with it's own focus and if you hammer SW relentlessly for 12 months prior to release, well, the rest tend to suffer a bit.

(Bryancd is gonna say that it is a tactic to keep the element of surprise in tact... I am preemptively calling BS! LOL.) 

LOL! No I actually don't think its anything beyond their normal marketing strategy. Yes, we did get a teaser over a year in advance for TFA but TFA was a once in a generation event. Rogue One had a similar trailer/teaser schedule as TLJ is using. They both had BTS video and R1 had the Olympics in August as a special event opportunity.

Well, we are getting Rebels season three tomorrow and then Force Friday in the same week. They could've just waited until Friday to release Rebels, I guess...

LOL! No I actually don't think its anything beyond their normal marketing strategy. Yes, we did get a teaser over a year in advance for TFA but TFA was a once in a generation event. Rogue One had a similar trailer/teaser schedule as TLJ is using. They both had BTS video and R1 had the Olympics in August as a special event opportunity.

How often is once in a generation? There were 16 years between E1 and E7 - both can't be once in a generation events :)

How often is once in a generation? There were 16 years between E1 and E7 - both can't be once in a generation events :)

That’s actually a somewhat complicated question. You’ll see that, depending on the context and how a generation is defined (biological versus cultural, and so on), even five years can be enough to define a generation’s beginning and end point

But I think it is entirely fair to consider 16 years two different generations in this context. A person entering young adulthood and experiencing TFA as the first new Star Wars movie to arrive in theaters in their lifetime seems to be pretty clearly to be a different generation - from a cultural experience perspective - than the generation containing a 16-year-old who saw TPM in 1999 (add to that, if you look at a generation from a biological perspective, a 16-year-old who saw TPM in 1999 could very well have a 16-year-old child who sees TFA in 2015.)

M

OldKen,

I've been a member of this forum for years, and every now and then people on this forum and other places on the Internet make reference to something called "Star Wars Prequels".

I've spent years researching, and I'm pretty sure NONE of these so called "prequels" actually exist. I don't loose any sleep over people saying otherwise., as I feel I'm probably just being trolled.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@OldKen,

I've been a member of this forum for years, and every now and then people on this forum and other places on the Internet make reference to something called "Star Wars Prequels".

I've spent years researching, and I'm pretty sure NONE of these so called "prequels" actually exist. I don't loose any sleep over people saying otherwise., as I feel I'm probably just being trolled.

;)

Forget the prequels. They're an urban legend. Just like that "Holiday Special".

Not withstanding Mike's excellent generational math analysis, any hyperbole aside, TFA was a big deal as effectively Star Wars films were dead as of 2003.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back