Rogue One Vader costume

If they had access to the original ISD then I don't know why they wouldn't have access to everything else in the archives as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUjhNSDmb9I
I'm sure they did have access, but when you suddenly realise that there's rather more to a costume than you've allowed time for, do you spend time trying to get parts from the archive? Or do you just go with something that is pretty much already on hand?

I'm sure they did have access, but when you suddenly realise that there's rather more to a costume than you've allowed time for, do you spend time trying to get parts from the archive? Or do you just go with something that is pretty much already on hand?

Agreed, not to mention creative choice - who's to say that there are differences between the ANH/OT suits and the RO suit(s) that weren't intentional.

Interesting discussion...I really have no particular "dog in this hunt", but I do see people making some wrong assumptions that I can speak to.

First...The whole "why didn't they just use what's in the archives" thing...

Lucasfilm doesn't own the archives, George Lucas does. It was 100% not part of the sale to Disney...And that is why many things had to be recreated/sourced from fans/etc for the new movies...The new 3P0 costume was 3d printed...The R2 was built by members of the R2 Builders group...and so on, and so on.

For the record, my understanding is that it isn't that they COULDN'T have accessed the archives, but that many times they didn't...Didn't want to jump through the hoops, or send people over from the UK due to time constraints and other factors.

Next...The only ANH Vader helmet seen in the film is in fact in that private collection someone else noted earlier...

But here's the main thing to understand...Even BEFORE the sale to Disney, it wasn't out of ordinary to see ILM and LFL reach out to the fan community...I personally have two examples.

1. Obi-Wans red R4 dome that gets all sliced up by buzz droids at the beginning of Ep3...That was a R&J R2 dome that Ron Barclay and I supplied when we first started making them for the group in 2003. The ILM guys had access to the archives, original domes, and the ability to make copies...yet they used ours, and it's in the archives to this day.

2. The tusks on the new hero Vader reveal helmet from ep3...They purchased 3 sets from me, and I still have the check from ILM to prove it. Again, they have lathes, and the ability to create those parts...But it made more sense to just buy some that are already readily available. And they are now in a museum tour somewhere...

Again, this isn't about me at all...But I do know of this type of thing happening...So I have absolutely no doubt believing what Bookface is saying about the Quasimodo being a source for the new R1 Vader helmet...If fact I can believe it pretty easily.

So...Congrats fellas! :)

Jason

Like I said... They had access, but it's not owned by LFL anymore. So many times they chose not to go there... if I'm not mistaken, didn't some fans provide x-wing costume parts for Rogue One as well?

Did you watch The Force Awakens documentary? It shows them accessing the archives in it.

They took a tour during the pre-production process to look at props/costumes/art. I'm sure they may have gone back for inspiration but the Doc does not show them pulling out props to use/scan/cast.

Have you guys seen the latest feature of the ILMxLab Vader VR movie? Looks like they are using the 3D model of the Rogue One Vader with the tunic inside the shoulder armor

ilmx1.pngilmx2.pngilmx3.pngilmx4.pngilmx5.png

You know I was thinking.... maybe Lucas let them into the archives when he was still involved with ep7. And then once they scrapped his ideas Lucas said the hell with them and there for they had to come up with their own stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember hearing that he was brought in as a creative consultant initially. When it became clear that really they just wanted to remake A New Hope rather than do something new, he bowed out. I imagine his involvement was extremely minimal, if anything.

I remember hearing that he was brought in as a creative consultant initially. When it became clear that really they just wanted to remake A New Hope rather than do something new, he bowed out. I imagine his involvement was extremely minimal, if anything.

I can completely understand that. It's HIS vision, & why go backwards. He's always been one push.... everything. Yet, he does have his limitations.
I've said for years, that I think Lucas is a great producer. His ideas are great, & he knows what would make a great story & movie. I think he's a good editor. I don't think he's a good director. & as far as writing goes? I think he got surrounded by too many "yes men". He needed some more people around him to say, "great ideas! Now rewrite it & then write it again. Make it better." Kinda like everyone had him do when he wrote the first Star Wars, when he was rejected over & over again.

Lucas indeed gave all the notes and ideas he had for the continuing story to Disney, but they were not bound to them in any way...Ultimately they decided to do something different. But I don't believe there's bad blood there or anything. And I totally agree that George is much better in a producer role than a director...From what I've read, the first Star Wars film was a hit DESPITE him. This was mainly due to the fact that he had to make some concessions due to budget, and the fact that his wife at the time was an incredibly gifted editor...I give him a lot of credit for dreaming it all up, but when he gets unfettered control of the edit, with the ability to do whatever he wants, you get Episode 1. :eek

To get back on track...kinda...Again, I don't think there is an issue per se between LFL/Disney and George/TheArchive...I'm pretty sure they can still get access whenever they want. But I heard from several different sources (during the production of ep7) that many times they ended up going to the fans instead for things they needed. And that's why I tend to believe the story Bookface has put forth.

So...What about other pieces like the chest box and belt? Has their been any discussion as to whether or not those pieces can be traced to fans? Just curious...And sorry if I've missed that info somewhere...

Jason

Chest box, belt and other belt pieces were all borrowed from a member of the production. I don't have any info on who actually made those pieces though.

Lucas indeed gave all the notes and ideas he had for the continuing story to Disney, but they were not bound to them in any way...Ultimately they decided to do something different. But I don't believe there's bad blood there or anything. And I totally agree that George is much better in a producer role than a director...From what I've read, the first Star Wars film was a hit DESPITE him. This was mainly due to the fact that he had to make some concessions due to budget, and the fact that his wife at the time was an incredibly gifted editor...I give him a lot of credit for dreaming it all up, but when he gets unfettered control of the edit, with the ability to do whatever he wants, you get Episode 1. :eek

To get back on track...kinda...Again, I don't think there is an issue per se between LFL/Disney and George/TheArchive...I'm pretty sure they can still get access whenever they want. But I heard from several different sources (during the production of ep7) that many times they ended up going to the fans instead for things they needed. And that's why I tend to believe the story Bookface has put forth.

So...What about other pieces like the chest box and belt? Has their been any discussion as to whether or not those pieces can be traced to fans? Just curious...And sorry if I've missed that info somewhere...

Jason

Idk about bad blood. George did show up at this years celebration, which I was shocked at after seeing the interview where he called Disney white slavers.

That interview sure made it look like there was bad blood between him and Disney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back