Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

I actually thought that the 3D thing was dying off a bit,.....the Cinema near me doesn't always show 3D versions anymore,.....

in saying that,...I saw TFA four times in the Cinema,....the last viewing was 3D.....& it was very subtle,....not the in-yer-face style,...more 3D beyond the screen.

The Falcon scenes stood out to me (obviously),...& the holographic projection in the Falcon hold

J

So far I've seen Phantom Menace and Force Awakens in 3D and I liked their use of it. I expect similar with AOTC and ROTS, and still hope the OT gets done that way, too. It was subtle, but immersive, without being IN THREE-DEEEEE!!! like Cap's shield or Thor's hammer flying at the camera. The subtitles hover just above the screen, the action has just that little bit of depth we expect from reality, the jumps to lightspeed are sweet, etc. I noticed those shots, too, Jaitea, but they didn't leap out at me the way those two shots of the Finalizer did. Ironically, I was really looking forward to that shot from the trailer where the camera jumps to lightspeed backwards and is overtaken by the Falcon... and was most annoyed it wasn't in the final cut of the film at all.

The only other films I've seen in 3D that I think benefited from it were Frozen (and I'm kinda peeved Disney was disappointed by the 3D BluRay sales in the UK and decided not to release it in 3D on home-video here in the US), Ant-Man (all the shrinky-growy), and Tron: Legacy (beautifully done -- 2D until Sam enters the Grid, then 3D for everything in the digital realm). I'm looking forward to Doctor Strange in 3D for all the trippy reality-breaking magicks.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
UP was really good as well. Normally, I can't track rapid movement in film 3D. But UP really just used it for atmospheric effect, which fit its subject matter very well.

You weren't. Someone already mentioned it in the TFA Graflex saber thread in the prop section a week ago.

After watching Avatar on my 3D TV and giving myself a splitting headache, I doubt I'll be buying too many 3D releases, unless they use their 3D sparingly.

Avatar is Awesome in 3D.... Maybe its you're eyes... My Mrs can't watch 3D for too long without it bugging with her eyes...

Means less 3D in the house, how sucky is that....
Man cave is much needed !!

Avatar is Awesome in 3D.... Maybe its you're eyes... My Mrs can't watch 3D for too long without it bugging with her eyes...

Means less 3D in the house, how sucky is that....
Man cave is much needed !!

The f/x were impressive, for what they were. I mean, I recognize that the film pioneered a particular technique in 3D, and that's impressive.

But I didn't feel the 3D added anything to the story, and the story itself is pretty forgettable. The other thing is that I watched the film in 2015, and even with the 3D, I thought "Meh. I'm pretty sure I've played this videogame already."

Yeah the attempted story was pretty bad... More of a visual spectacle, I'm fairly confident he will fix those issues in the ones that follow... He has always upped the anti, its kind of expected of him, not a nice position to be in thought lol

Anyway, star wars 3D will get my money... send it to charity though... Disney have enough \m/

This might seem crazy and not 1 single person in this thread would agree, but has anyone thought that it was infact a young messed up kylo ren who placed rey on Jakku ??? I don't know why, and i guess time will give the answers, but i just have this feeling it was kylo all along... But then again i thought hux looked upset briefly at the firing of the destroyed planets....

Anyone in here feel the same ??

This might seem crazy and not 1 single person in this thread would agree, but has anyone thought that it was infact a young messed up kylo ren who placed rey on Jakku ??? I don't know why, and i guess time will give the answers, but i just have this feeling it was kylo all along... But then again i thought hux looked upset briefly at the firing of the destroyed planets....

Anyone in here feel the same ??

It was a theory that floated around this thread a ways back but it can't work due to what we have learned in the book Bloodline. Kylo was still running around with Uncle Luke when Rey would have already been on Jakku for many years.

UP was really good as well. Normally, I can't track rapid movement in film 3D. But UP really just used it for atmospheric effect, which fit its subject matter very well.

That's the one i was going to bring up...Not a single shot was 'in your face' - it was there seemingly to provide depth which it did exceptionally well.

I know we've discussed this ad nauseam but I still can't help but think Rey is a Skywalker. I was watching TFA for the billionith time and found it interesting that just before Rey's Force vision she hears a young girl screaming "No". We all know at this point that it's a young Rey being left on Jakku.

However...

What's interesting is that young Rey says "No" twice very similar to Luke screaming "No" when he learns (spoiler alert) Vader is his father. We also hear Luke's scream at the beginning of Rey's vision. There are just too many similarities between Luke and Rey (which I don't think is her real name) for it to washed away as coincidence.

It was a theory that floated around this thread a ways back but it can't work due to what we have learned in the book Bloodline. Kylo was still running around with Uncle Luke when Rey would have already been on Jakku for many years.

I think Rey was put on Jakku because "someone" knew the danger of her existence to Snoke and the First Order. This person might have also had a vision that Kylo would turn to the Dark Side. I think Luke knew about Rey but was probably kept in the dark for most of her life. As I've said, there has to be some sort of connection. All the bread crumbs lead to her being a Skywalker.

I think Rey was put on Jakku because "someone" knew the danger of her existence to Snoke and the First Order. This person might have also had a vision that Kylo would turn to the Dark Side. I think Luke knew about Rey but was probably kept in the dark for most of her life. As I've said, there has to be some sort of connection. All the bread crumbs lead to her being a Skywalker.

Where you see bread crumbs I see tiny red herrings. :). The new books have strongly ruled out her being a Solo and you really need to do some mental gymnastiques to make her a Skywalker unless you assume he has no knowledge of her whatsoever as in Bloodline his Academy or whatever is still fine, he and Ben are out searching the galaxy together, Rey is already alone in Jakku. It would be VERY difficult to explain a backstory for Rey being Luke's daughter to audiences in the next two films in a satisfying and efficient narrative.

Where you see bread crumbs I see tiny red herrings. :). The new books have strongly ruled out her being a Solo and you really need to do some mental gymnastiques to make her a Skywalker unless you assume he has no knowledge of her whatsoever as in Bloodline his Academy or whatever is still fine, he and Ben are out searching the galaxy together, Rey is already alone in Jakku. It would be VERY difficult to explain a backstory for Rey being Luke's daughter to audiences in the next two films in a satisfying and efficient narrative.

Perhaps I'm just holding on to hope... :) Interestingly, Anakin knew Padme was pregnant. But in the end, it was Palpatine that told Anakin that it was him who had killed Padme - thus killing his children. Palpatine assumed, based on false information, that when Padme died, the children also passed. There was now no threat to Vader, Palpatine or the Empire. However, Vader quickly learned the identity of Luke after he destroys the Death Star. And we know the rest of the story...

So... if we follow the current Skywalker story line, it wouldn't be difficult to explain Luke's offspring with a character we haven't met yet?

I know... grasping at straws! ;)

Luke could have gotten a lot of action after being credited for taking down Vader and used it as a pickup line for women. He could have had many one-night stands and so Rey could very well be an Oops Skywalker? :D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back