1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

I've been collecting images from as many sources as I can find and now I've stuck some together. Maybe this might help someone get started. I've upscaled and cleaned a lot of these images but not redrawn them so this is small but the working file is 160MB.

Enjoy.

Cygnus Plan@0,25x.jpg

Hi all. I've finally got the rest of the bow section. Fitting it all together and looking at the film shots of the front end, it looks like a styrene box will need to be constructed within the hollow of the bow, to prevent light from leaking out from areas other than the observation domes and the window sections behind the docking elevator. Time to order some evergreen!:cool
Also, I've found some constructs on shapeways that look as though they might make suitable replacements for the antenna fittings for the bow sections. While not perfect, if the size is correct, they could possibly be modified to look more like dave's missing antenna files- I hope.....

Hi Folks,

I'm back, finally. Had a change of jobs but things are settling down. Thanks for the uploaded files. I've got my Form1+ running nearly constantly and have a Form2 on the way. I'm also getting up to speed on Autodesk Fusion360 and Solidworks. Anyone else use either of these?

Bryan

i use Solidworks exclusively for my job.

Hey guys, I see Primitive Dave's store on Shapeways... but who's store is Kremmen? He has some VERY nice and large Cygnus pieces on there.
Just getting my feet wet. Thanks.
Murphy

Hey guys, I see Primitive Dave's store on Shapeways... but who's store is Kremmen? He has some VERY nice and large Cygnus pieces on there.
Just getting my feet wet. Thanks.
Murphy

That's Nwerke - see top post of this page (and all through this topic).

Hey guys, sorry to be away so long (I just checked, JULY OUCH OUCH OUCH...I did NOT intend to down tools this long!!!) I've been busy rebuilding my house (added an upper floor) but it's more money than anything, I've chimed in on the FB page now and again but didn't dare check in here with all those big bills coming in. I'm too much of a sucker for runs! And SW stuff is spendy as hell too, so I've been restraining myself a little bit. Only three kits bought since July. That's good for me, haha.

I'm still going to be tied up with the rebuild a while longer (our builders finally finished their side of things end of last month, two months late but some challenges came up and it wasn't too bad all things considered) - now we're into the DIY stuff, namely flooring, sealing, painting, leadlights, some garden tidy-up, walls etc. I'll try to catch up with what's going on and get some bits I had in progress for Dave's build back under way soon though. Sorry again!

Cheers,
Martyn

Port stern core received perfect.

This is good. Has anyone been getting SW parts done more recently though, and if so have they been good? I lost a LOT of faith last year. :(

As far as I know Dave didn't upload any files for a bow armature. When I get the rest of the bow sections, my plan is to cut a square of acrylic/perspex to fit. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If people still need this I swear I'll try and get back on this soon, I have the drawings, just need to tweak slightly as per comments above re measurements.

I'm back, finally. Had a change of jobs but things are settling down. Thanks for the uploaded files. I've got my Form1+ running nearly constantly and have a Form2 on the way.

AWESOME. What's the tensile strength of the material like? I was hugely disappointed the Form2 is still too small for my parts. Form3 maybe...

There are missing parts, I think?

Jason - yeah - Shapeways removes parts if they get fed up with printing them. Some parts take several goes. I guess it's hard to blame them but it is frustrating from a designer's POV when from our perspective, all we see is 'good print', 'good print', 'good print', 'shoddy print', 'good print', 'WE REMOVED YOUR POS MODEL NYAR HAR HAR'.

Hey guys, I see Primitive Dave's store on Shapeways... but who's store is Kremmen? He has some VERY nice and large Cygnus pieces on there. Just getting my feet wet. Thanks.

Thanks man. Wish the price wasn't so large too lol.

And has anyone tried an outside vendor for printing? This is a truly amazing model, has anyone assembled a complete kit yet? Thank you.

Yeah, I got some stuff done through Pinshape. They were OK with simpler pieces and some of their pricing was slightly better than Shapeways (some was worse, too) but they just couldn't handle the more complex ones at all. Academic now as they have shut up shop for their print service itself. Other online services I have approached have reacted with terror, lol.

Cheers,
Martyn

This is good. Has anyone been getting SW parts done more recently though, and if so have they been good? I lost a LOT of faith last year. :(

Me too. It was really getting bad last fall. I sent them a WTF on several parts and they waffled on the response so it seemed pretty clear they were aware. Since then the few things I have ordered have come out much better. I have some model railroad parts in the mill at this time so I will see how they come out.

Your time out has allowed me to catch up on my Paypal credit account balance. The stuff you did had maxed my available balance so its been a good breather. But I'm ready for more whenever you get to it. Right now I have this jigsaw puzzle with pretty much every other part missing except in the bow.

I sent Jeff Bond the front armature parts - he got them to fit, I believe?

Oh good!

Since then the few things I have ordered have come out much better.

Thanks, good to know!

Your time out has allowed me to catch up on my Paypal credit account balance. The stuff you did had maxed my available balance so its been a good breather. But I'm ready for more whenever you get to it. Right now I have this jigsaw puzzle with pretty much every other part missing except in the bow.

Sorry dude! We have our next to last major invoice to pay this Thursday then one more big one after that, then by I guess some time in May I'll be able to let my breath out again - hoping to start really making progress before mid-year.

The front armature parts do fit--you have to remove a couple of interior pipes on either side of the upper interior where the armature box goes. They're the continuation of the travel tubes that run down either side of the ship.
Having said that, there's still more challenge left--you need a version of the "connector section" that attaches the stern section to the middle section to complete the ship. I ordered duplicate parts and created another connector section but the long extended tab that fits into the rear section has to be cut off and I'm not convinced the length of the rear connector section is correct for the front--it may need to be shorter. Aggravating because I'm very very close to completing the assembly.

Sorry dude! We have our next to last major invoice to pay this Thursday then one more big one after that, then by I guess some time in May I'll be able to let my breath out again - hoping to start really making progress before mid-year.

No problem. Two more months for me to be back to zero. And please take your time once you do get back to it. Don't need the bills piling up too fast.

Okay, here's my for-the-most-part-finished build of the 1/700 Cygnus. You can see there's a little gap between the front fuel tank section and the bow section; I had to use the connector section designed for the rear of the craft to connect the bow to the center section. Fortunately I have some extra frame sections from the center and I will just cut them down and lay them over the exposed armature there. I used two strings of LED lights with remotes that allow different dimmer effects--if you check out the last video you can see how there's a neat chasing effect between the fore and aft string of LEDs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lazymodeler/albums/72157644653412223

Oh that is so beautiful Jeff, I can barely find words. Just can't get enough of it.

Hory shet, you guys. I think I just figured out what's wrong with the downloadables from Dave's site. If I'm right we'll have antennas, incoming, in a few minutes.

Edit - yep getting usable data I think...fingers still crossed...trying an upload...

Edit edit - wait, no, false alarm, it's only the ones we already have. At least they're now readable again though. It's just a nesting issue, figures it would be something simple like that, d'oh.

OK in case anyone still needs these here are six "corrupted" parts from Dave's kit:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kre...r+Primitive+Dave+kit+-+backup/missing+par&s=0

Same as Dave's shop, I have no markups on these - prices should be the same but the algorithm determines that, not me, so there might be slight differences - I haven't checked.

The problem with the zips was just that SW must be zipping already zipped uploads for their DLs - and we hadn't correctly guessed the file format. I'd swear I'd tried all the usual formats last time we looked at this, but the correct one is .obj. Easy peasy.

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

No joke, I was their NIGHTMARE and made them reprint a TON of the outboard modules especially. It took forever to get good prints.

- - - Updated - - -

There are more but you get the idea. I think I had them reprint parts 15 times in November of 2014. They were gracious about it but it was a hassle. And now I have like 40% of a wonky crappy Cygnus in extra rejected parts. That upper spine was a monster - twice the build shifted about 3/4 through, like someone bumped the machine. Third one was the charm. The outboards were plagued with missing cross beams. Those little "X"es would ALWAYS blow out. One or two I can handle, but some were a mess.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.14 AM.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.18 AM.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.23 AM.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.28 AM.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.32 AM.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.37 AM.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.41 AM.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.45 AM.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.49 AM.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 11.37.08 AM.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 146

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back