Scratch Building a Star Wars Fighter

Darth Penguin

Hi All
I have been wanting to do a full scratch build for a while now. I got inspiration from Star Wars – The Old Republic. On one of the cut screens there was a picture of a cool looking fighter. So I thought I would try to recreate something like that.
IMG_0136.JPG

I started to sketch up some plans for the build. It was a bit hard to know what to make of the length relative to the width but I was happy enough with the plans.
It is going to be a bit a delta wing type ship, with 4 engines – so it will be pretty fast! I guessed on the two abreast seating for the cockpit.
You can see I went over the main features in ink, the details left in pencil.
I then photocopied and enlarged my drawings so I could make templates for the main sections of styrene.
As for the scale, at 1/35 scale, the finished ship would be about 9m long – about the same as an a-wing. If I make it 1/48 scale then it is about 13m long - about the same as an x-wing. The scale will be decided when I work on the cockpit, need to see what looks most sensible and what fits.

The smaller plans have a bit more detail in pencil, the enlarged ones are really there for scale. I taped the plans to the shelf above my work desk.

IMG_0302.JPGIMG_0303.JPGIMG_0310.JPG

I cut the main base plate from 1mm styrene taking great care to ensure symmetry. Although the plans do not really show it, I wanted some shape to the bottom of the ship. I used card (old model boxes have their uses) to mock up the sort of shape I was looking for. There is not much detail on there just now, that will come later when the structure is sorted.
IMG_0304.JPGIMG_0306.JPG
The underside is getting there, the middle section is still to be done. That will be the trickier part as it is going to be the curved spine.

IMG_0308.JPGIMG_0311.jpg

More to follow.
Thanks for looking, any comments or advice most welcome.

So, next update. I love holidays!

The engine housing has a rounded top to match the curve of the engines. I also want some space for greeblies, so the back will be slightly recessed. To make the curves I cut up a container that was the right size. Using this I cut the curves on styrene.
I glued this up, along with a top section for strength and left it to set overnight.
While it was setting I measured and cut a section of thin styrene for the top. I used a section of brass tube to roll the styrene putting a curve into it.
Once the main body had set I glued the curved section over it. I was pretty pleased with the result. Greeblies and engine pieces will be molded and attached later.

IMG_0312.JPGIMG_0318.JPGIMG_0319.JPGIMG_0315.JPG

For the curved bottom spine I cut identical sections of 1mm styrene using the plans I sketched up. Using other bits of styrene I got the size and shape right.

IMG_0316.JPGIMG_0317.JPG

I am building both bits separately from the main ship, it makes life easier I think.
Also, I might cast them in resin once they are finished.

Hopefully I will get some more done today and keep updating the thread.
As always, feedback welcome.

Believe it or not that ship is a "taxi" between ships of the republic fleet in the game. Its still a cool ship tough :D

Jedi Dade

How did you get the curved styrene to hold it's shape? I have trouble with it wanting to spring back, did you heat it?

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments.
I did not notice it was a taxi, interesting. This will be a taxi with a bite though, lots of guns/laser cannons!

Gattaca - firstly, love your work. I have been using your blog on the YT as inspiration, very cool stuff. I used a metal tube and rolled the plastic a numbers of times. I started with a largish tube about 12mm diameter and the used smaller tubes to get the tighter curve. Once you have done it a number of times the plastic keeps its shape quite well. Hope that helps.
More to follow today I hope.
DP

Gattaca - firstly, love your work. I have been using your blog on the YT as inspiration, very cool stuff.
DP

Thanks Darth, very kind of you to say, and for visiting my blog. My intent was to pass on what I've learned and inspire others, my life is now complete!
Thanks for the tip, will add that to my brain for next time I need a curve. Looking forward to see how your kick a** space taxi comes out.

Hi again guys.
I have managed to get a bit more done on the killer taxi (that name will do until I make up a better one).
Since last time I have been thinking about the cockpit and upper section of the fuselage.
I have made a little cockpit section and started the controls and the seats.
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG

I do need a bit of help though. What material can I use for the canopy. It needs to be clear and rigid. Can you get clear styrene anywhere, or is there a good alternative.
More to follow.
DP

Hi again
guys.
I have managed to get a bit more done on the killer taxi (that name will
do until I make up a better one).
Since last time I have been thinking about the cockpit and upper section
of the fuselage.
I have made a little cockpit section and started the controls and the
seats.
View attachment 271657
View attachment 271658
View attachment 271659

I do need a bit of help though. What material can I use for the canopy.
It needs to be clear and rigid. Can you get clear styrene anywhere, or
is there a good alternative.
More to follow.
DP

eh up buddy.g do know ya can get clear styrene in various thickness's mym8. top marks:) cheers peza

Looking really nice and precise so far:thumbsup If you need some small "chips" on the surface or a small piece of plastic to cover or add detail to the hull grab some Dymo labeling tape from Walmart. It works great for adding small rectangles and gives a realistic look once painted. You can also use it as a tape on ruler for getting really straight scribes on panel lines. Keep up the great work!

Hey again
I have been a bit busy, so not as much time to work on this as I would have liked. I have made some progress, but I really need the plastic for the canopy before the next major bits of structure on the upper side are done.
So what have I been up to?
Well I have been doing a bit of detailing on the cockpit flight controls. There are a few air bubbles from the casting that need to be attended to, otherwise I am pretty pleased with it (and besides, who knows what the controls should look like!?)
IMG_0334.JPG

I have also been doing some work on the engines. I am basing these on the engines from Anakins podracer, they have a nice amount of detail and with some work will do the job well. I have cut it into sections, changed a few bits, added some bits and otherwise made it how I want it.
Here are a couple of pics to show progress and where they will be placed relative to the main engine housing thingy.
IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0339.jpg
Finally I have made a start to the undercarriage. It is going to be a tripod style u/c. One at the front going forwards and to outward facing legs near the rear of the main body. So far I have mocked up the leg using aluminium tube and started on the foot. I will cast the feet in resin so they are all the same, the resin should also give a nice solid block to drill into so that the aluminium tube is very solidly attached.

IMG_0335.JPG

If I get the chance I will do some more on the weekend. Thanks for looking.
DP

It has been a while since the last post, and some progress has been made.
I have pretty much finished the main structural parts. The next stage is to add the details, which will take the time. As you can see I have started with a couple of details - two vents on the upper wings, and on the lower spine - two cool looking round things pinched from a speeder bike and cast in resin.
What you cant see too much of is the supports for the under carriage which are under the structure.
I have added a little more to the cockpit. There is still only one seat as I need to wait fro mold release before I can make the two part mold for the seat. I am also waiting on the clear styrene so that the canopy can be made, then the last of the upper structure can be finished.
I also need to make the mold for the engines and cast them too. Most of the rest of the casting will be done when it is not 42 C!
Hope you enjoy, comments are, as always, welcome.
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

So a quick update. I have pretty much finished the underside. Got a few more details to add but after a coat of primer it brings it up quite nice.
IMG_0347.JPG
Cheers
DP

HI all
It has been a while since the last update, going back to work will do that.
I have just about finished the upper side of the ship.
I have changed it to a single seater. I managed to source some clear plastic for the canopy and have started on that. It will need more detailing and ribbing etc.
I am also going to add panelling and armour to the top side, similar to the under side. Greeblies and the like will also be added.
I think I might adjust the height of the tail a bit, it might be a little bit high - but any feedback most welcome on that.
I am pretty happy with the overall shape, not too bad for my first scratch build ever!
Thanks for looking.
IMG_0361.JPGIMG_0360.JPGIMG_0359.JPGIMG_0362.JPGIMG_0363.JPGIMG_0364.JPGIMG_0365.JPG

I am going to put primer on it this weekend once I have done the filling and sanding. Hopefully it will bring up the detail a bit more.
I might also pain the cockpit over the weekend if I get the chance.
DP

Love the scratch-build and for the first one, I think it's a hit:) For greeblies, specially for cockpit, I use parts of computers electronics; makes for a fast build that way. Eager to see that bird painted and ready to fly!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back