Rumors of a Tron @Disneyworld and possible Tron sequel

Riceball

Master Member
I just watched a video where they discussed a rumor that suggests that Disney is planning on bringing the Tron ride, like the one at Shanghai Disney, over to The Magic Kingdom (aka Disneyworld) and possibly even to Disneyland. Right now it's just a rumor but according to the video it came from a source that has had a pretty good track record on reporting rumors that turn out to be true.

Also discussed in this video is another rumor that suggests that Disney is actually working or will be working on a Tron: Legacy sequel. They don't go into any details except to say that the purported plot of the rumored Tron 3 is that the people of the digital world somehow get out into the real world. It's been suggested that this movie will likely come out before the ride will, probably to generate interest and remind people about Tron.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to slap Disney. They lost their bridge waffling on the third film and finally canceling it. Jeff Bridges redirects questions about it, Bruce Boxleitner angrily refused to talk about Tron any more, said that's all over with, Disney jerked them around too much... And now Disney wants to go ahead with a sequel again? *headdesk*

--Jonah

I want to slap Disney. They lost their bridge waffling on the third film and finally canceling it. Jeff Bridges redirects questions about it, Bruce Boxleitner angrily refused to talk about Tron any more, said that's all over with, Disney jerked them around too much... And now Disney wants to go ahead with a sequel again? *headdesk*

--Jonah

i still cant believe its been 9 years since the teaser trailer for Legacy first came out!
time flies fast

I don't understand why they wouldn't have the Tron ride at Disney World. It looks cool. I'm old enough to remember, not quite clearly though, that EPCOT had a small Tron scene at either the World of Motion or Horizons. I need to look it up to recall exactly. All I remember is being in the moving car and when it turns into a large screen there is a lightcycle scene. I remember screaming "Tron" when I was young. I love the original movie. Legacy not that much.

I'm all for the Grand Prix Raceway being replaced (which rumors say would be the Magic Kingdom location for this new ride). That thing is noisy, polluting and uses a up a LOT of space.

Oh, come on. The raceway has great sentimental value and I was surprised last week to see that it was still a big draw. Lines of over an hour. A Tron ride is a cool idea, but it feels more Hollywood Studios or Epcot than Magic Kingdom.

I wonder, with Star Warsland going into Disneyland and CA Adventure getting a Marvelland, will this mean that we'll finally see the end of the America Sings/Carousel of Progress show building and will it be replaced with a Tron ride? If they were really daring they'd get rid of Autopia and use that space, along with America Sings to put Tron in.

COP isn't going anywhere because of it's historical value to the park and Walt himself. I personally would hate to see raceway go away as well as it's one of the few opening day attractions left. Disney own's an area of land down their roughly the size of Manhatten Island. I think there should be room for all.

CoP isn't going anywhere because of its historical value to the park and Walt himself. I personally would hate to see Raceway go away as well as it's one of the few opening day attractions left. Disney owns an area of land down there roughly the size of Manhattan Island. I think there should be room for all.

They own land over in Florida maybe but not in Anaheim they don't and before long the current "tenants" of the CoP building are the Marvel HQ and Star Wars Launch Pad both of which will be redundant within another couple of years. Which begs the question, what will happen to the building then? I think that the best use would be to incorporate all or part of it into a Tron ride, maybe use the old People Mover tracks as part of the ride as well.

Riceball I think when it comes down to it from a business model, Florida will get the gold and CA will get what they can. Land might be where it all started but the company knows that Florida is where it's USA future is. It's a shame but with Disney and Universal building so much in FL. Disneyland will soon be about as exciting as Six Flags. A good time in a local market, but not the destination resort that FL will be.

@Riceball I think when it comes down to it from a business model, Florida will get the gold and CA will get what they can. Land might be where it all started but the company knows that Florida is where it's USA future is. It's a shame but with Disney and Universal building so much in FL. Disneyland will soon be about as exciting as Six Flags. A good time in a local market, but not the destination resort that FL will be.

I have to disagree, while Disneyland does tend to get overshadowed by its younger brother in Florida I don't think that it will ever become just a "good time in a local market" as you put it. I think that it will always remain a destination location for the foreseeable future, sure, it will never reach the same levels as Disney World but people from the world over will come if only for the fact that it's the original. Judging by the crowds the last time I was there and the fact that they're adding Star Warsland to Disneyland and with plans to add a Marvelland to CA Adventure says to me that Disneyland is still and will remain relevant to the Disney corporation. Not to mention that they bought out a hotel across the street to make room for another parking lot/structure along with a transportation hub says that the park is hardly diminishing and I highly doubt that the top suits at Disney would spend that kind of money on Disneyland if they didn't think that it will remain a hugely popular destination for tourists from all over. Also, don't forget that CA Adventure is a CA thing only, none of the other parks anywhere else in the world has one and some of the rides in that park are unique to CA Adventure as well.

The only thing that's really holding the park back is the lack of available land but they've been making do with what they have and over the years have found creative solutions to their real estate problem. They were able to build CA Adventure by building a brand new parking structure and using the old one for the new park. Star Warsland is being put in by taking over some backstage areas and moving them off property elsewhere. CA Adventure itself is, if the rumors are to be believed, expanding by taking over the current shuttle and taxi drop off area and moving that across the street. So while it will never reach the size of Disney World they still manage to do well with what limited land they do have.

There is a new Mercedes commercial with a lightcycle similar to the Legacy version. It rolls up with a bunch of other vehicles to race. I was kind of surprised to see it as I remember back when Kyocera made a lightcycle commercial for a cell phone they had to change it because it was too similar to Tron.

But I think there is a Mercedes commercial that uses bits of Tron Legacy's soundtrack too.

They own land over in Florida maybe but not in Anaheim they don't and before long the current "tenants" of the CoP building are the Marvel HQ and Star Wars Launch Pad both of which will be redundant within another couple of years. Which begs the question, what will happen to the building then? I think that the best use would be to incorporate all or part of it into a Tron ride, maybe use the old People Mover tracks as part of the ride as well.

In theory I agree with you, logistically speaking though, the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track is a big problem. It hasn't been maintained and is in horrible shape. Any ride planned for it would first have to completely repair the surface. They've thought about removing it, but that too would cost millions and effectively shut down Tomorrowland during the procedure. That's why it's been dormant for so long.

Honestly, I think the re-brand of Tomorrowland was really poorly planned. With the Rods gone and the Orbiter moved to the front of the land, weknow have a giant sculpture in the center of Tomorrowland eating a ton of space. It's not clear if Star Tours is moving to Star Wars Land or not (I don't see why it wouldn't), but that's going to leave a big space as well.

I get that if you make the land about the possible future, it will get superseded by actual time (which has happened twice). Doing an evergreen fictional future isn't bad. Tomorrowland in Florida has been running with this, and the Cali version was never given the same care.

My personal take would be to do a retro-future Tomorrowland. Go back to the 50's aesthetic, but make it even more outlandish (like Fallout 4 but less doomy).

A Carousel of Progress that pitched you a future that was almost comical because it never happened would be fun. Stick some new version of Horizons from EPCOT into the old Star Tours / Innerspace building. Have fun with it.

...I have maybe obsessed on this a bit..

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back