Bandai release schedule

I always thought these limited edition items were strictly for Bandai's online store only which in turn only sold to Japan. Just curious.

Chris
No they are not.
My trusted favourite german source for Bandai kits had the Shadow Stormy when it was released and currebtly has the Holo Vader instock. They are currently taking preorders for the Geonosis Battle Droids and I already got confirmation that they will get the Falcon. They still have to figure the final price on it ( after import fees ) before the finaly offer it for preorder. I already got confirmation too that there will be a payment plan offered. So it doesn't hurt that much to pay in two or three steps, since between preorder offer and availibilty there usually are 8 to 10 weeks.

No they are not.
My trusted favourite german source for Bandai kits had the Shadow Stormy when it was released and currebtly has the Holo Vader instock. They are currently taking preorders for the Geonosis Battle Droids and I already got confirmation that they will get the Falcon. They still have to figure the final price on it ( after import fees ) before the finaly offer it for preorder. I already got confirmation too that there will be a payment plan offered. So it doesn't hurt that much to pay in two or three steps, since between preorder offer and availibilty there usually are 8 to 10 weeks.

Is there a possibility to get a contact on that "source"?

I understand that Bandai is free to ask whatever they want for the models, but I think a fair price for the 1/72 Falcon is $200.00. Doubling the scale and 10x the price, that doesn't add up.

At $200 they'd also sell a heck of a lot more. I decided to bite the bullet on this one at $360 but I'm also fairly confident that within a year or two Bandai will release on non-lit version for $100 less.

but I think a fair price for the 1/72 Falcon is $200.00. Doubling the scale and 10x the price, that doesn't add up.

I totally agree. I'm aware that we cannot change anything about it, but that's exactly the point which kills the Falcon for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also fairly confident that within a year or two Bandai will release on non-lit version for $100 less.

I hope so. Still they haven't released a non-electronic 1/48 scale X-Wing yet, so it is more likely that it will take more than 2 years for that. But this is just a guess. :)

Doubling the scale and 10x the price, that doesn't add up.

Doubling the scale essentially increases the volume x8 though mate (2 cubed), so it makes a bit more sense when you look at it that way. Don't get me wrong, I also wish it was more affordable as I'm going to have to get creative if I want to get the finances together for one of these anytime soon.

Doubling the scale essentially increases the volume x8 though mate (2 cubed), so it makes a bit more sense when you look at it that way. Don't get me wrong, I also wish it was more affordable as I'm going to have to get creative if I want to get the finances together for one of these anytime soon.
Furthermore, part count goes up as several details will be realized as separate parts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Someone is going to have to explain to me why a 1/48 Gundam is only $100.00 the 1/72 Falcon is $400.00 (of course no one is obligated to do so).

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/190364

I understand that Bandai is free to ask whatever they want for the models, but I think a fair price for the 1/72 Falcon is $200.00. Doubling the scale and 10x the price, that doesn't add up.

You should ask why every Star Wars kit is double the price of the average Gundam in the first place.

"Mega Size" doesn't equal "best", they're crap, grossly simplified, and barely articulated. For comparison, the smaller Perfect Grade of the same Gundam costs $200.00 and $300.00 if you buy the lighting kit. It's no longer a matter of size but complexity.

Oh and lets not forget Bandai dont make the Star Wars films, they have to get a License from Disney and im guessing that isnt cheap, after paying $4 Billion for Star Wars its only fair Disney make a bit too.

You know, I'm still looking for evidence of this spendy license fee people love to talk about. Bandai kit prices are on par with--usually almost exactly the same as--FM kits. And SW kits from both manufacturers are in line with other modern kits that don't require licenses. These kits, quite simply, cost what they should based on similar non-licensed kits. And that is further surprising since sci-fi is a smaller portion of the market than, say, armor or WWII aircraft. Simply put, based on economies of scale, the SW kits should cost even more. Now, the upcoming MF kit is kind of an anomaly, and I get that. Trying to break this down, It's gonna be kinda like the FM kit. Couldn't be too much for detailed with the FM kit at like 900 parts. It will almost certainly be more accurate (possible accurate in every way possible except the sparse interiors). It's twice as much, but it includes lighting and maybe some extras. The limited nature of it, too, could be enough to again make the price justified (though not liked by most of us). Still, with the multitude of other evidence, I don't see anything but a cheap license fee. Line up your evidence to the contrary.
Mike Todd

That argument makes sense when taking about steaks but this is a model kit which is mostly hollow.

That argument makes sense when taking about steaks but this is a model kit which is mostly hollow.

Wait a second, I thought we were talking about steaks?!

In all seriousness though, i think it makes perfect sense. The 1/144 is also hollow so the maths still adds up. I think... As toadmeister also said, the part count will also be much higher and intricate so all these things add to the price.

again though, I do wish it was more affordable but I never expected it to be around the 200 usd mark.

You know, I'm still looking for evidence of this spendy license fee people love to talk about. Bandai kit prices are on par with--usually almost exactly the same as--FM kits. And SW kits from both manufacturers are in line with other modern kits that don't require licenses. These kits, quite simply, cost what they should based on similar non-licensed kits. And that is further surprising since sci-fi is a smaller portion of the market than, say, armor or WWII aircraft. Simply put, based on economies of scale, the SW kits should cost even more. Now, the upcoming MF kit is kind of an anomaly, and I get that. Trying to break this down, It's gonna be kinda like the FM kit. Couldn't be too much for detailed with the FM kit at like 900 parts. It will almost certainly be more accurate (possible accurate in every way possible except the sparse interiors). It's twice as much, but it includes lighting and maybe some extras. The limited nature of it, too, could be enough to again make the price justified (though not liked by most of us). Still, with the multitude of other evidence, I don't see anything but a cheap license fee. Line up your evidence to the contrary.
Mike Todd

I have no evidence, just specualtion, what goes on behind closed doors is a mystery to me. I look at it like this, why would'nt Disney charge a fee for companies using their Property to make millions? $2 Billion of What George Lucas got in return for Star Wars was in Disney Stocks, would he, a Master of Merchandising not want licence fees?

A cheap license fee to cover Lawyers Contract fees would i guess mean that the licence is just to keep tabs on quality control? I doubt it, seeing as Revels FO TIE SF kit is shown flying on the box but has no pilot.. or lower gun pod.

Then theres Mr Flatty and the figures in the US licensing issue, considering we live in a time where we all regularly buy products from all over the world, i see area licensing as out of date, companies should be able to sell worldwide. But what do i know.. What actually goes on will probably always be a mystery.

I remember talking to the guy who runs hobby link japan a few years back. We were talking about the fine molds 1/72 falcon and he said that the overwhelming part of the cost was the packaging. There was so much printed material in it that they couldn't avoid. And that brought it up.

I imagine that Bandai is going to have some pretty nice packaging here with a lot of reference material.

So if they do release a cheaper version at some point, it will probably be the same model, but with more budget packaging

I remember talking to the guy who runs hobby link japan a few years back. We were talking about the fine molds 1/72 falcon and he said that the overwhelming part of the cost was the packaging. There was so much printed material in it that they couldn't avoid. And that brought it up.

I imagine that Bandai is going to have some pretty nice packaging here with a lot of reference material.

So if they do release a cheaper version at some point, it will probably be the same model, but with more budget packaging

Wow, I'd take it in a plastic supermarket bag if it would save me a considerable amount. Did a bunch of folk not get their Zvezda SD's delivered from Russia in muslin bags?

Someone is going to have to explain to me why a 1/48 Gundam is only $100.00 the 1/72 Falcon is $400.00 (of course no one is obligated to do so).

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/190364

As has been pointed out already it is an issue of complexity and not just size. For more context here is a comparison:

Mega Size Model - RX-78-2 Gundam
1/48 scale - 37.5cm tall
1.5kg box, 18 runners, ~150 parts
No LED units
MSRP - 7,800 yen

Perfect Grade Strike Gundam (few accesories, backpack sold separately)
1/60 scale - 30cm tall
1.7kg, 26 runners, ~560 parts
1x LED unit
MSRP - 14,000 yen

Perfect Grade 00 Raiser (Huge backpack, lots of weapons)
1/60 scale - 30cm tall
4kg, 56 runners, ~680 parts
2x plain LED units, 2x motorized LED units
MSRP - 25,000 yen

Perfect Grade Unicorn Gundam (fully transforming kit, basic weapon and accessories et)
1/60 scale - 36cm tall
3.3kg, 44 runners, ~750 parts
MSRP - 20,000
Massive LED kit sold separately for an additional 12,000 yen (yes, twelve thousand yen LED kit)

Given the above, also the fact that the Fine Molds kit has 800+ parts so Bandai's will be at the minimum in the same range, and also the fact that all the LEDs will be in the base kit, the 40,000 yen price for the Falcon is perfectly in line with Bandai's regular pricing.

Also to address the point of why Bandai's Star Wars kits are more expensive than the average gundam kit just take a look at the surface detail level. Gundam kits have disgustingly soft detail. I started into scale models with Gundam and still love it but the difference in the sharpness and scale of detail between gundam and star wars kits can almost be claimed to be an order of magnitude. It is a sore point for me as someone who builds Gundam kits that before Star Wars Bandai clearly wasn't using their full capabilities.

Yep! If that's true I would be absolutely fine with a plain white box with a hand-written "1/72th MF" and the Bandai logo on it. :D :)

Well, I did feel that the packaging for the Fine molds falcon was quite over the top. And you know that Bandai is going to outdo that.

I just hope it doesn't have as many pieces as the Fine molds. I have zero interest in attaching every single greebly

Well, I did feel that the packaging for the Fine molds falcon was quite over the top. And you know that Bandai is going to outdo that.

I just hope it doesn't have as many pieces as the Fine molds. I have zero interest in attaching every single greebly

That's actually why I never bought the Fine Molds/Revell one!..... I just couldn't see spending 300CDN on a kit that I would have to wear my magnifying glasses for several days just attaching tiny tubing!

I mean it looks great and most don't seem to mind but for me not so much!

hopefully they will bring out a more reasonable offering in the future!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back