Bandai release schedule

I'm thinking that this is an instance where one would not want to paint the plastic. Hand paint some light marbling with translucent paint, maybe a wash, then satin coat retaining the translucency of the plastic helping sell that bone effect. Maybe.

Boy, if I can make the armor on Bandai's Grievous look like this, I'll be a happy camper. Looks like marbling technique covered by layers of thin translucent paint might do it. I love a challenge!
View attachment 724441

Might depend on the color of the styrene Bandai uses. The armor in the pictures so far seem very white instead of the more mottled cream color. It shouldn't be a bleached bone look, but more like a bone that a dog left behind the couch for a couple weeks. A little stained and discolored.

I understand the reason Bandai sizes their kits for the Japanese market, but I sure wish they would do more 1/6 scale kits. Although not the most accurate, I love the 12 inch stormtrooper. Here's mine next to the Moebius B9.

Robert

I understand the reason Bandai sizes their kits for the Japanese market, but I sure wish they would do more 1/6 scale kits. Although not the most accurate, I love the 12 inch stormtrooper. Here's mine next to the Moebius B9.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/bigvade/BDtrp1_zps8mtfcrba.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/bigvade/BDtrp2_zps2ukd4hyd.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/bigvade/BDtrp3_zpsxfverfnn.jpg

Robert
No kidding. I love mine. I was really hoping they would do C-3PO and R2 in 1/6. I think they would look phenomenal.

I plan on painting them simply because plastic looks like plastic without some kind of paint or other treatment

Well, I started on my TIES, doing 2 at once.
After getting the TIES and looking at the panels I deciddd to paint them.
While Bandais molding process is phenominal there are some swirly things going on in the mold for the panels.

Had to mask off the areas where the frame will attach so it will fit correctly (pain in the butt), but after painting them, they look amazing.
The swirly things are gone completely.
The black primer and base coat went on like silk.

Its more of what an old bone would look like. From my experience with Bandai the base color the kit has is quite close. Its a matter of dulling the finish, adding some brownish to bone white washes, scoring the the areas that need more texturing, pastel shadows and finish it up with a satin finish to keep some toned down, subtle shine.That would create the look of polished, but tarnished bone.

I was looking at one of the SW books I have and was wondering the exact same thing. I have no clue how to get that effect. :lol

I will use ebony as base coat, followed by a bambibrown wash instead of my usual black wash and seal it up with another coat of ebony drybrush.
This worked well on my custom, bone-stand for my wooden Black Pearl

Hang on, Have they actually changed the sprues from kits that already had the figures, (e.g- 1/144 Falcon, Original X-wing, etc)? Can anyone confirm?

Yes they have. It has been noted at least in the 1/72 X-wing in the double X-wing box.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back