TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Here's my take: I don't think it looks very good with rivets in the grips - that is to say, some type of screw looks better. And any number of screws or bolts with any number of head styles make it at least as screen accurate. Optionally paint them black. Optionally put black screws into the tops of the grips for ESB "prop" accuracy. Take your pick, there's a lot of room for personal preference without sacrificing visible accuracy.

Last edited:
Not me. Just use something with the needed outer and inner dia between the rivet and the gun. 1-2 nuts, a short piece of tube, whatever else you have available.

Yeah i thought of that but was then worried that the rivet stem would snap inside the nut area thereby resulting in a stem sticking out of the rivet hole.
Would that he an issue?

Nope. I've used Lichtbringer's exact method multiple times with no issue. Worst that happens is the nuts scatter everywhere when the rivet shank snaps.

It worked for this:

bobasee-3008.png

Does anyone know where I could get just the socket for a Graflex? I don't mind if it's a replica. I have a blade holder one with a blade plug, but I was wondering if anyone sold sockets that are compatible with a real flash camera and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my take on the Rey saber and it's the same as the ESB Luke saber.

We know they used rivets on the d-ring, we have clear evidence of that. This means when they were building the saber they had rivets, a rivet gun, and tools to drill.

Why would they use rivets in the d-ring, but then use screws in the grips? It doesn't make sense.

I can see where maybe the original ESB saber had rivets in the d-ring and ANH style grips that were falling off in the snow and the grips were replaced and they used screws at first. But we have photos of other bladed stunt Graflex sabers from after the production with rivets on the clamp so I feel rivets were the preferred method.

Plus, when doing research the only Graflex saber with screws is the SWR, every other saber available (prop replicas and photos) most likely had rivets as that's what everyone else uses. I would think with the rivets in the d-ring and the available reverence they would have just used rivets.

Plus the Launch Bay sabers use screws, the 'right type' of screws, and it doesn't look like the screen used fasteners from screen shots of the saber.

i agree 100% this is my main reason for belief that they are rivets as well. what ever is handy and on the bench use

plus knowing the people responsible for building R2 purposely screwed with us over the Buttons on the horseshoes. i wouldnt put it past the light saber prop makers to screw with us even more...

"make sure no one can tell what we used to attach the grips, this way the question still continues..."

i dont plan on using the rivets to attach the grips anyway... i think im either going to use 2way tape, and cut the rivets so they are flush on the underside of the grips. i used this 3m 2way tape for the grips on my yoda saber and im amazed at how well they hold.

my first attempt on a graflex years ago i used epoxy. funny thing is i had the tube standing up and my cat knocked the tube over on the table and 2 grips popped right off? i even scratched the under side of the grips to give the epoxy something to bit....

It's an on-set photo from EP8.

The lever looks funny because you've seeing the reflection of the lever on the clamp, giving a weird double-lever illusion due to the angle of the photo.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rttdgggt...ggwgws/9/976173/4001324/54505591014601-vi.png

this is where i wish i had social media... just too much drama that comes with it. i agree with you again, looks like shadowing. i imagine its the same saber used from ep7. i wouldnt doubt they made a few more of them, and i wonder who they used for the props this time around?

thanks for clearing that up... she must switch hands because in ep7 she's holding it in her left

I am going to use rivets myself for mine once I get Roman's Graflex on Monday. Not only because I think they work fine for TFA, but also I want to build mine as I think the TFA prop guys did as an idealized version between the previous sabers. I almost wonder if grinding down the glass eye was intentional just to give it a hint of gold as in the ROTS saber. Crazy idea I know.

As for that EP VIII pic above if that really is the EP VIII saber it looks as though it could be the same Hero prop as nothing stands out from the TFA hero. Everything appears to be in place invluding the orientation of the circuit card and the D-ring. I say IF because it could be that they are using the TFA saber again as the EP VIII hero or it could be they just used it for that scene since it was early in production and there is a new EP VIII hero.

Good catch on the saber being in her right hand. At first I wondered if it was mirrored which happens often to promo photos but then the Graflex would have been flipped.

I am going to use rivets myself for mine once I get Roman's Graflex on Monday. Not only because I think they work fine for TFA, but also I want to build mine as I think the TFA prop guys did as an idealized version between the previous sabers. I almost wonder if grinding down the glass eye was intentional just to give it a hint of gold as in the ROTS saber. Crazy idea I know.

As for that EP VIII pic above if that really is the EP VIII saber it looks as though it could be the same Hero prop as nothing stands out from the TFA hero. Everything appears to be in place invluding the orientation of the circuit card and the D-ring. I say IF because it could be that they are using the TFA saber again as the EP VIII hero or it could be they just used it for that scene since it was early in production and there is a new EP VIII hero.

Good catch on the saber being in her right hand. At first I wondered if it was mirrored which happens often to promo photos but then the Graflex would have been flipped.

the brass glass eye i think was the main artist's finishing touch, and a kick in our nuts. like "how can i **** these hard core saber guys off... ah! ill mill off the knurling on the glass eye, they will all be pissed!!"

my theory behind the FX having hex button screws was, the module they use inside the graflex can be removed by unscrewing the button screws. just my own personal belief

Went to Disneyland yesterday... looking at pics online, I think the Launchbay sabers in Florida and California actually use different grip screws... comedy gold. Don't quote me until I do more photo research...

Went to Disneyland yesterday... looking at pics online, I think the Launchbay sabers in Florida and California actually use different grip screws... comedy gold. Don't quote me until I do more photo research...

i think your right, i thought one saber used all tamper proof screws. but graflex bank only has 1 launch bay saber and that saber has the star screws

- - - Updated - - -

like this tri-wing screw
tamper-resistant-screw-types.jpg

i dont plan on using the rivets to attach the grips anyway... i think im either going to use 2way tape, and cut the rivets so they are flush on the underside of the grips. i used this 3m 2way tape for the grips on my yoda saber and im amazed at how well they hold.

my first attempt on a graflex years ago i used epoxy. funny thing is i had the tube standing up and my cat knocked the tube over on the table and 2 grips popped right off? i even scratched the under side of the grips to give the epoxy something to bit....

This is exactly what I have just done - cut the rivets to the depth of the grips and superglued them to the grips!
Once the fasteners are clear I'll commit and drill in to the vintage bottom tube.

I've also seen the HEX sock in bathrooms too. Are they worried someone is going to steal the bathroom partitions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thats what i said!? really?! who's going to walk out the bathroom with the stall walls?!?! :ninja

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back