The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

Could you post a picture of the pattern before you cut it?

I'll try. The pattern is going to be fit specifically to my arm though, so if I put up a pattern, anyone else who uses it would need to make adaptions to it. Probably still better than no pattern at all though.

Does anyone have scans of the artbook yet? I think I'll try to find it at a bookstore tomorrow. It looks like there's A LOT of useful pictures in there, both of the arm and the rest of the outfit.

Last edited:
I made an arm out of craft foam. I'm thinking about redoing the lower arm. Wasn't so happy about it.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20140414_122412-1.jpg

Do you mind posting pictures? I was thinking about purchasing regular knee pads if they don't exist like the ones in the movie. Perhaps I might have figure out how to add the "ribbed" texture on the surface of the knee pads.

I have to seen those yet. Would you happen to have a link for it?

Sorry, I only log on ever so often as I'm super busy at the moment. But here is the link to the Interest thread in the Junkyard.
http://www.therpf.com/f75/winter-soldier-mask-goggles-3d-print-211008/

I have no idea how they'll turn out but like I mentioned, for the price and if they turn out nicely (which some folks there seem to know his work and know it will be good which is a good sign lol) then it's probably going to be an awesome costume piece to go for. You end up paying that much money just to buy pieces of things and your time to try and make it as accurate as possible.

I was going for the sleeved look, yeah, and I plan on buying a pair of black BDU pants and getting some fingerless gloves with duct tape on the left hand and see how that works.

I'd really recommend steering well clear of using duct tape on your hand and fingers. The adhesive can tear skin, and you may also cut off blood circulation. I've posted up a couple of pages back how I made my cyber hand. Alternatively opt for body paint.

Sorry, I only log on ever so often as I'm super busy at the moment. But here is the link to the Interest thread in the Junkyard.
http://www.therpf.com/f75/winter-soldier-mask-goggles-3d-print-211008/

I have no idea how they'll turn out but like I mentioned, for the price and if they turn out nicely (which some folks there seem to know his work and know it will be good which is a good sign lol) then it's probably going to be an awesome costume piece to go for. You end up paying that much money just to buy pieces of things and your time to try and make it as accurate as possible.

That mask is fantastic but a little much at 200$ i will definitely consider it though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread has been super helpful so far awesome job everyone! I'm making a female Winter Soldier for Free Comic Book Day and this thread has been a God-send for reference images and ideas.

A few things I've found so far:

A mask tutorial: How I made my Winter Soldier mask - Twins Headquarter It doesn't cover the ears like his, I won't be making my mask to cover my ears cause personally, I just don't want my ears covered. For mine I'm probably going to do something similar to this but using craft foam over the fabric for the front piece and the black/gray pieces. I don't know if this has been mentioned either but I THOUGHT his mask was all one piece including the bit covering the neck but the neck is separate, like maybe a turtle neck or something?

As far as the knee pads I was looking at Home Depot for kneepads but none of the ones I've found have been the right shape so I plan on making them from EVA foam. I got some worbla in yesterday (never used it before it should be interesting!) and I've made a duct tape form of my arm already. I want to make it as seamless as possibly but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the elbow area and still be able to move XD

His knives I'm actually planning on using pink insulation foam and putting some sort of weight in it so I can flip it around. So far I've only started the jacket I'm starting everything else this weekend, I'll post any useful ideas/pictures I figure out or find!

I don't know if this has been mentioned either but I THOUGHT his mask was all one piece including the bit covering the neck but the neck is separate, like maybe a turtle neck or something?

Yep. As far as I can tell, he's wearing a turtle neck sweater under everything. Probably something like this: http://nyfashioncity.com/wp-content...turtleneck-sweater-stretch-shirts-Black-M.jpg

As far as the knee pads I was looking at Home Depot for kneepads but none of the ones I've found have been the right shape so I plan on making them from EVA foam. I got some worbla in yesterday (never used it before it should be interesting!) and I've made a duct tape form of my arm already. I want to make it as seamless as possibly but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the elbow area and still be able to move XD

I haven't gotten to the elbow part on my EVA foam pattern yet, but I'm guessing I'll end up making it so some pieces slide under others when I bend the arm at the elbow, and probably also on the shoulder and the back of the upper arm. As far as I can tell, that's how the polyurethane version of the arm they used for filming worked. That arm did still have limited movement though, so eh, we'll see how it works out. I need to watch more clips of the arm in motion.

This thread has been super helpful so far awesome job everyone! I'm making a female Winter Soldier for Free Comic Book Day and this thread has been a God-send for reference images and ideas.

A few things I've found so far:

A mask tutorial: How I made my Winter Soldier mask - Twins Headquarter It doesn't cover the ears like his, I won't be making my mask to cover my ears cause personally, I just don't want my ears covered. For mine I'm probably going to do something similar to this but using craft foam over the fabric for the front piece and the black/gray pieces. I don't know if this has been mentioned either but I THOUGHT his mask was all one piece including the bit covering the neck but the neck is separate, like maybe a turtle neck or something?

His knives I'm actually planning on using pink insulation foam and putting some sort of weight in it so I can flip it around. So far I've only started the jacket I'm starting everything else this weekend, I'll post any useful ideas/pictures I figure out or find!

Great idea for the knives I've used that method before for prop knives dont have a picture though they were all destroyed after the film was over

Do you mind posting pictures? I was thinking about purchasing regular knee pads if they don't exist like the ones in the movie. Perhaps I might have figure out how to add the "ribbed" texture on the surface of the knee pads.
Not at all. I don't have pics from when I was still working on it, tho.
S2980003.png

I just took the clay, applied it on the pads and carved into it with a wooden tip of a paintbrush. Then, after it was completely dry, I glued the black fabric with Gütermann glue.

anobile1: That's kinda what I've been figuring thinking about it. I am thinking something like this for the elbow where one or two pieces slide into an outer cover: http://studioarmoury.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/stainless-steel-arm-articulation-detail.jpg

The arm bend though is what's getting me now, how to cover that area and still move. The only idea I really have is something like a door hinge? I don't know if that would even work I've never really done any sort of armor this extensive before.

AmitKer: That's a really good idea for the kneepads! I'll have to try that they look good!

Winter Soldier: Oh you've used that for film prop knives? Sweet thank you at least maybe I'm on the right track for the knives kind of XD

anobile1: That's kinda what I've been figuring thinking about it. I am thinking something like this for the elbow where one or two pieces slide into an outer cover: http://studioarmoury.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/stainless-steel-arm-articulation-detail.jpg

Yeah, something like that is also what I was thinking.

The arm bend though is what's getting me now, how to cover that area and still move. The only idea I really have is something like a door hinge? I don't know if that would even work I've never really done any sort of armor this extensive before.

You mean for the inner elbow? Yeah, I think there's actually supposed to be a gap there of maybe 1/2 to 3/4th of an inch when the arm is extended. I saw some photos of the final concept drawings of the arm from the art book where I could see the inner elbow better. I can't link to them right now unfortunately (on my phone atm).

Edit: managed to find a link to the image: http://31.media.tumblr.com/e35c5142a2cda5c10e3ae0db54ab2970/tumblr_n4o27w6KzG1req852o2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to use silver spandex for the joint under the arm pieces just redid the top and spray painted it chrome ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399254110.495281.jpg not the best photo

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back