Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Wouldn't that shot be looking back from the cockpit? Look at the skinny doorframe that they're shooting through.

SB

The skinny doorframe is the same as the cockpit's yes, but it's also the same kind of door to the circuit bay in the main hold. Plus the cockpit tube is not curved at all, it has the same straight lines as the exterior...

If they want to, they can change backgrounds and details of the ship, as shown in R1, some of the cockpit controls (Raddus ship, Tantive IV cockpit for two examples.) They were generated mostly digitally without a set being built, buttons, panels and all. If they are using parts of the TFA Falcon, they can change some details if they want to, to make it look like ANH era cockpit and ship.

The Falcon absolutely should have been a POS by the time Han got it. It's just a matter of story if nothing else. There's a major underdog element that the ship is supposed to have. It fit with Han himself. It can't be a castoff & rehabbed sort of thing if Han had when it was nice.

It's also a natural parallel of the hot-rod guys in earth. The ones who leave a car rough are the ones who got it already rough. Guys who had it when it was new & shiny are usually trying to keep it nice. The guys who are keeping one car nice are probably racing/working with another one - more of a beater. Like the Falcon was.

Agreed. Han loved the Falcon and was always fixing it up and doing repairs. It makes no sense if we get a new looking ship in this movie, and then a few years later it looks like it did in ANH. And even less sense if you think about how little it changed from ROTJ to TFA.

You guys keep forgetting Lando owns it first. In this film it's Lando's. The Falcon could be old but Lando woukd have it looking pristine.

Last edited:

You guys keep forgetting Lando owns it first. In this film it's Lando's. The Falcon could be old but Lando woukd have it looking pristine.

The galaxies pimp-mobile ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Falcon absolutely should have been a POS by the time Han got it. It's just a matter of story if nothing else. There's a major underdog element that the ship is supposed to have. It fit with Han himself. It can't be a castoff & rehabbed sort of thing if Han had when it was nice.

It's also a natural parallel of the hot-rod guys in earth. The ones who leave a car rough are the ones who got it already rough. Guys who had it when it was new & shiny are usually trying to keep it nice. The guys who are keeping one car nice are probably racing/working with another one - more of a beater. Like the Falcon was.

I never thought of it as a beater, just a used vehicle. I always figured most of the problems he has in the movie were down to him and Chewie tinkering with it vs it being in bad shape. It's more of a daily driver compared to a trailer queen.

@Sluis Van Shipyards, I figure there's gotta be a reason Luke took one look and called it a piece of junk. ;)

I'm curious if they're retconning the ROTS appearance or if it was still in service first to the Republic Judiciary before being surplussed out. If so, then the Falcon's fifty to sixty years old by the time we first see it in Mos Eisley. They may have been out of production for some time, even, if the Empire was squeezing things. Out-of-production means scavenging parts rather than being able to get newly-made stuff from the manufacturer. I can't tell if there's anything like eBay in the GFFA, but I'm thinking not on an interstellar scale. If Lando got it thirdhand when parts were more readily available, he probably had an easier time keeping it in good nick than Han did a decade or two later when the Empire was making things ever more difficult for -- *ahem* -- honest free-traders. And, let's be honest, Han's first priority was not keeping the light fixtures gleamingly clean.

As for the angle, we have seen it before. Sort of. We see the portside corridor from both the engineering compartment side and the central cargo hold side in the Holiday Special. It's where Boba Fett escapes via rocketpack through the top hatch.

--Jonah

You guys keep forgetting, that this is Disney we are talking about and they they are just doing this to milk the source completely dry. They took an iconic character like Darth Vader and made him look silly with a thin cape that was way too big and a cod that looks like it was a motorcycle seat. They really do not care that much about staying true to the material. If the general non fan public can almost recognize it as such it is passable. Which is understandable... but kind of meh for most fans as well.
(

To repeat something I've had to say waaaay too many times since 2014, Disney isn't doing this. Lucasfilm is a wholly-owned subsidiary just like Marvel Studios. Disney is basically bankrolling them both to do their own thing, and being largely hands-off. I haven't seen anyone griping about how Disney is ruining the Marvel super-heroes or milking it for all it's worth. I see people critiquing Marvel, though. Which is appropriate, as they're the ones actually writing and making their movies. Not Disney. Ditto Lucasfilm and Star Wars. Disney isn't doing it. Quit laying praise or complaints for the new Star Wars offerings on Disney.

--Jonah

To repeat something I've had to say waaaay too many times since 2014, Disney isn't doing this. Lucasfilm is a wholly-owned subsidiary just like Marvel Studios. Disney is basically bankrolling them both to do their own thing, and being largely hands-off. I haven't seen anyone griping about how Disney is ruining the Marvel super-heroes or milking it for all it's worth. I see people critiquing Marvel, though. Which is appropriate, as they're the ones actually writing and making their movies. Not Disney. Ditto Lucasfilm and Star Wars. Disney isn't doing it. Quit laying praise or complaints for the new Star Wars offerings on Disney.

--Jonah

KK is Disney. If you don't think KK is steering the Star Wars ship, you crazy.

The Wook

--Jonah

Technically that is true. But they are very hands on. The same can be said for Marvel movies, they are all the same formula and vision. And I'm kinda seeing the exact same thing happen to SW ( or have been since 2015 ). The firing of those directors is very telling, that's not a LF call.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back