Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Why should the rule be any different for a fictional item designed in 1977? Why should an update to a fictional item originally designed in 1977 be tied to the "1977 design aesthetic" when, just like in the "real" world, 40 years of cultural changes have passed?

Moore's law (and other 20th century Earth details) don't necessarily apply in the SW Universe. They're already traveling faster than light, probably have aerodynamics and "space age" materials worked out. They've conquered robotics, prosthetics, AI...

So, when desiging elements for the new trilogy, they should be taking design cues from Ralph (which, they did to an extent) and the same earth vehicles, architecture, stylizations that influenced the OT - and going from there. Instead, some of the new stuff fees like it doesn't fit or follow a logical progression from the OT.

Yeah, I know: who am I to decided what logical progression is? Maybe they are on an aggressive technological curve - they are harnessing the power of a star after all. To me, much of it felt out of place, a little too different, too fast is all. The objects in the museum just highlighted the design influences to me.

Oh for **** sake... Everyone bitched when the Naboo starfighter came out because it was "too modern" and "not old looking". But if a tie fighter or X-wing evolves it's unoriginal. You can't win with Star Wars fans.

I don't think anyone is complaining about them other than the TFA TIE Fighter just being plain lazy. I even said in my comment that the only good designs were old McQuarrie designs (X-Wing, A-Wing). I liked all the Prequel ships. So I wasn't referring to anything you listed. I'm all for new ships or evolved ships, just not crap designs (TFA lander, Kylo Shuttle, TLJ Heavy Scout Walker, etc.). I will even give Snoke's insanely scaled ship a chance. I still don't get people thinking the Prequel ships looking too modern. A F-86 is more shiny than a F-16, but it's not more capable. Same thing with Naboo fighter and X-Wing. Yes the cockpit displays looked more modern, but that's because, other than SW fans, a modern audience is going to say a 70s cockpit in a 1999 movie looked like crap. It's the same with people complaining that the Enterprise NX-01 looked too modern.

I can't stand the design of the PT. That's a huge part of my complaints about them. Justify it however you want, but to me it just never fit.

I'm sorry you didn't like the designs of the prequels. I'm genuinely curious to know why exactly? Is it because they weren't as cobbled together and monocromatic as the OT designs? To me, the PT designs fit perfectly into the story they were telling and it's placement in the timeline. It makes sense for ships of a bygone, more elegant era to be more ornate and sleekly designed.

Forgive me if you've already addressed this, I'm just coming back here after a few days away.

My issue with the PT is that it ends 20 years prior to the OT and yet the designs (of everything not just ships) seem like they are cut from a completely different cloth. It just doesn't feel like a society should have changed so drastically in such a short time.

My issue with the PT is that it ends 20 years prior to the OT and yet the designs (of everything not just ships) seem like they are cut from a completely different cloth. It just doesn't feel like a society should have changed so drastically in such a short time.
As I mentioned before, the empire began to control production. Going from the prequels to the OT is like going from Tokyo to north korea

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't find the shift in style weird, but you'd think more of the fancy PT stuff would still have survived into the OT era. 70's cars looked a lot different to 50's cars, but you still saw a lot of 50's cars on the streets from people who couldn't afford a new one.
But I guess in the case of SW, they were on different planets, so it's not a big deal, there's just a bit of a mental disconnect not seeing that lineage for some of those designs. Comparing the scope of present day Earth to a galaxy of planets is probably apples to oranges here.

I didn't really end up having a point in all of that. :wacko

The PT showed us different parts of the galaxy that the OT - Naboo being the most notable with its stylish fighters.

In the OT, we never saw Naboo or more exotic parts of the galaxy - we followed a rag tag Rebel fleet and a couple of backwater planets (Tatooine, Hoth, Endor), gas-mining (working class?) Bespin and the militarized Empire.

I get the change in design from a practical standpoint, but I don't go into sci-fi adventure romps with practical in my mind. Practicality take a backseat to familiar ideas to the original material. The change in tone was WAY too jarring. To me, it didn't even feel like the Star Wars I was accustomed to, and that was my problem.

Aside from that, you can have ornate things that look gorgeous, but it should also feel lived in. No matter how nicely preserved people keep their things, they still look used. The PT was so over-the-top well-kept that it didn't look real. It didn't look lived in.

With the money spent on the death star and capital ships and tie's (all new between E3 and 4, btw) - it's not hard to imagine the evil empire taxing the citizens into oblivion to pay for it all. Not hard to have nearly everyone's else's ships, homes, etc, look like they're recycled over and over as they probably were over a span of 20 years.

On top of that, what exactly did you see in the OT?

Tattoinne which didn't change hardly at all between E1 and 6,
Dagobah - swamp in E3 and 5/6,
Bespin, looked nice and not scrappy or cobbled together.
Hoth, giant snowball
Endor, uninhabited moon

Various ships of the rebellion which would be 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand or worse ships likely cobbled back together as there were no direct sponsors of the rebellion to fund their operations.

Who says naboo didn't look close to the same? Or Coruscant, etc?

In E7, what was seen?
A backwater, deserted Jakku,
A Resistance base (which no one was funding that we know of)
Hosnian Prime
A Bar on a jungle planet for those on the run
Starkiller Base

Where exactly were we supposed to see the best ships the galaxy had to offer since E3? There could be nice stuff out there, or not, but we haven't seen any thing where we should see the Grandeur of Naboo or Couscant.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back