Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

If Lucas were writing this, Grand Moff Tarken would be Han's dad, and Darth Vader would be Han's surrogate Uncle.
Chewbacca was Vader's dog, but he kept him tied to a tree in the backyard, even when it was raining.
Han felt sorry for him, so he unchained him and they ran away together.

Close: Han was an orphan raised by Chewie's family on Kayak. Only a little less moronic.

A wee bit of colour correction

DKZw-bVWkAE2fy_.jpg-large.jpg

J

So over the last couple days I read this entire thread. What a journey! From Ingruber to Ingruber to SWIQ to Ingruber, to height to Ingruber, back to height and a whole bunch of SWIQ and finally a black&white Instagram filter controversy...

My thoughts: I can’t wait for this movie. I think Alden Ehrenreich is a great choice, the whole cast is awesome and I’m stoked for what I hope will be a Star Wars underworld action/adventure movie.
I want to see all the beats hit that everyone seems to be worried about!

There’ll hopefully be some great design and new props for us all to obsess over and re-create.

This doesn’t need to be perfectly reminiscent of what’s come before in our world - it can’t be!
Though these will track in the Star Wars universe from BBY to ABY or whatever, they’re made SO far apart by our timeline. There are going to be inconsistencies, as long as the over-all gestalt is relatively homogenous I think we’ll be fine.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the hours of reading, frustrating as much of it was.

Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So over the last couple days I read this entire thread. What a journey! From Ingruber to Ingruber to SWIQ to Ingruber, to height to Ingruber, back to height and a whole bunch of SWIQ and finally a black&white Instagram filter controversy...

Yowza! That's 2,106 posts you read in two days!! That's gotta be some sort of record! :lol

The Wook

My thoughts: I can’t wait for this movie. I think Alden Ehrenreich is a great choice, the whole cast is awesome and I’m stoked for what I hope will be a Star Wars underworld action/adventure movie.
I want to see all the beats hit that everyone seems to be worried about!

There’ll hopefully be some great design and new props for us all to obsess over and re-create.

This doesn’t need to be perfectly reminiscent of what’s come before in our world - it can’t be!
Though these will track in the Star Wars universe from BBY to ABY or whatever, they’re made SO far apart by our timeline. There are going to be inconsistencies, as long as the over-all gestalt is relatively homogenous I think we’ll be fine.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the hours of reading, frustrating as much of it was.

Nick.

There's one in every bunch. :D

I'm glad it works for you - I wish I could be as optimistic and hopeful for this as you are. While the addition of Ron Howard gives some positivity about this project; ultimately, it's the casting of Alden Ehrenreich that really sours me on this. (Well, that and the whole idea still seems unnecessary and could spoil some of the magic that makes Han who he is).

I'll be there opening day to see it no matter what and I will do my best to keep an open mind. Maybe they can pull this one off... I hope they can, but...

Yowza! That's 2,106 posts you read in two days!! That's gotta be some sort of record! :lol

The Wook

Haha yeah I reckon. I’m really interested in the movie so I wanted to take the pulse of the community.

Especially enjoyed your contributions, Wook - always entertaining and interesting.

There's one in every bunch. :D

I'm glad it works for you - I wish I could be as optimistic and hopeful for this as you are. While the addition of Ron Howard gives some positivity about this project; ultimately, it's the casting of Alden Ehrenreich that really sours me on this. (Well, that and the whole idea still seems unnecessary and could spoil some of the magic that makes Han who he is).

I'll be there opening day to see it no matter what and I will do my best to keep an open mind. Maybe they can pull this one off... I hope they can, but...

I’m glad I like Alden, being sour on the casting of a beloved character is a ****ty feeling.
I’m hopeful you’ll like him, mate!

N.

I wish I could be as optimistic and hopeful for this as you are. While the addition of Ron Howard gives some positivity about this project; ultimately, it's the casting of Alden Ehrenreich that really sours me on this.

JD's nailed it with his high-SWIQ observation. Ultimately, the movie's fate will be determined by whether or not the lead actor can make us believe he's Han Solo. Because even if the movie is entertaining, in a generic sense, it will be a giant FAIL for me if I don't buy Ehrenreich as Han Solo.

I might've mentioned previously in this thread, that I'm not optimistic.

The Wook

I'm not very optimistic about this either and I hope that's going to play into my favor. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised at how much it's not as bad as I expected and then I'll actually like it.
For Rogue one it was different. I was so excited to see it and boy, what a let down that was.
Just got to try harder to get my expectations down for TLJ now.

I just think back to pre and post-prequels. How desperate I was for more Star Wars.
So right now, we’re getting a Star Wars film every year. For the foreseeable future!
That makes me happy. I too worry about over-saturation and the dilution of what makes Star Wars Star Wars but, as a few of you guys have said, only 2 out of 8 films are seemingly unanimously beloved.

I personally don’t like Rebels - I think that the designs and character names and general vibe of the show isn’t very Star Wars - so I don’t watch it. Nor did I watch Clone Wars.

And as for not wanting to know too much about his past, to retain the mystery... well aren’t there a bunch of ‘mystery’ years in the life of *****? I’m not a religious man by any stretch but I’m sure if I was I’d be keen to know what he was up to during that time. (I’m sure it wasn’t very exciting, but this is why we have the benefit of screenwriters).

I’m excited for hotrods, hot alien chicks, fist fights and cool dialogue. There aren’t enough of those kinda movies being made anymore.

N.

I'm not very optimistic about this either and I hope that's going to play into my favor. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised at how much it's not as bad as I expected and then I'll actually like it.
For Rogue one it was different. I was so excited to see it and boy, what a let down that was.
Just got to try harder to get my expectations down for TLJ now.

I'll be honest, I've found myself to be in the best shape with respect to pretty much all movies by adopting two different tactics.

1. Assume the worst. Or at least, definitely DON'T assume the best. Don't ever board the hype train, though. Whatever you do, do not get all breathless with anticipation about the film.

2. Adopt an almost total media blackout with regards to the film. This, at least, will let you judge the film largely on its own merits, rather than on a set of pre-existing expectations.

I have followed almost none of the Star Wars films pre-release since TPM came out. I avoid trailers like the plague. I don't read the pre-release articles. I mostly don't engage with threads like this, or to the extent I do, it's very infrequent and usually more to do with high-level discussions than details of the film. I check out casting, but unless you get something like this film -- which lost directors mid-stream -- I stay ignorant of it. As a result, I am -- admittedly -- watching these films almost entirely based on brand name, and with next to no knowledge of the film's development or its plot. I knew Rogue One was about stealing the Death Star plans. That was it. I knew almost nobody in the cast. Similar story for TFA. Knew almost nothing about it except casting and director (which made me...wary). As a result, I judged the two films just based on my own experience of them in the theater which meant I was nearly a completely blank slate for the film. I have my preconceived notions about Star Wars and good storytelling in general, but that's it. It's made the filmgoing experience far more enjoyable for me.

An interesting side question has just occurred to me, I hope it hasn't been asked before...

Who buys Ewan as Obi wan ?
I know when he started playing Obi he was playing younger than he actually is and therefore there was a massive age gap between the age of ANH Alec (61 I think) and young Obi's character ( I'm guessing 18) but the character aged another what, 15 years in 9 making him nearly 35 and he is supposedly going to reprise. So now with that we are getting closer to the age difference between this Han and ANH Han.

From a certain point of view.

I went for it essentially (apart from the fake wigs and beards in the pickups). So I think it's possible that someone else could play Han.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back