Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

This looks very accurate to what we see today except for the wires.
PropStoreHero1.jpg

Just wondering about the blue and white wires being an apparently larger diameter than shown.
It seems logical that they'd use wire that came w/ the MPP to make it look less like a camera part and more like a lightsaber.

An earlier quote about you:
"Parfaitelumiere once sold me vintage wires coming from MPP guts ... a red, blue and white ... they were exact the same in size as the smaller white and blue in the pictures shown above of the real lightsaber prop and they have a different smaller gauge size than the red, brown and grey used. I see what Marv means but it's hard to draw conclusions from pictures without having the real prop in hand, turning it over in the light to examine it more closely. Though it's possible, I highly doubt the propmakers, back in 1981/82, went to such lenghts to paint the wires different colors for fun sake. I for one never found the correct reddish brown ... so if paint was applied on white or grey wires it would make it easier to get accurate appearance as seen on screen

Chaim"

Ok- wire came from the MPP is used to make it look like a lightsaber, so where did the thin white and blue wires we see now come from?

If the prop used in ROTJ is the same as the one in ESB, did someone just replace missing wires w/ wires of the same color but not diameter?

Perhaps I've missed something about this discrepancy, and would like to know what.

A last picture of my genuine MPP with last configuration.
I finally put a modified wannawanga steel shroud, and wannawanga grips, with weathering and damages on both.
The bubble is blue board version, original one of course.
blue wire comes from a adaptor that was inside the hilt, to use a 9v battery instead of 3 D cells.
Brown from a old fridge, other, I don't remember.

PropStoreHero1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue and white wires are definitely thinner... I had to swap them out in my build; I originally had them the same gauge as the brown and grey wires on the other side...

Vader ESB Build_2b.jpg

Sorry if this is redundant, but what is the consensus on the shape of the ANH black sidebars? It looks straight to me in the reference photos, but I'm not 100% certain.

That B&W shot with the alternate calculator display does have rectangular sidebars, and they are black.

The ESB and ROTJ MPP seems to have trapezoidal black sidebars, and it was probably a leftover from ANH

Sorry if this is redundant, but what is the consensus on the shape of the ANH black sidebars? It looks straight to me in the reference photos, but I'm not 100% certain.

ANH sidebars are silver (unless you're asking about the "v2" variant). The ANH sidebars are rectangular in shape with rounded length-wise edges, while the ESB/ROTJ sidebars are trapezoidal in shape with squared off length-wise edges...

IMG_3742.JPGBubble 8.jpgIMG_3757.JPG

Just noticed that Roman's black sidebars MPP prototype appears to have angled/trapezoidal sidebars, which is disappointing. ---- another question: was the original ANH black sidebars prop missing the black plastic clamp insert/sleeve?

Last edited:
Just noticed that Roman's black sidebars MPP prototype appears to have angled/trapezoidal sidebars, which is disappointing. ---- another question: was the original ANH black sidebars prop missing the black plastic clamp insert/sleeve?

actually Roman is doing the right thing. For ESB and ROTJ the trapezoid sidebars are perfectly correct. For ANH silver bars... it's easier to cut, sand, and polish the bars... than to magically add metal to get the correct thing for the other two.

Trapezoid sidebars are the best bet, because these are visible on the most documented and most replicated original prop, I mean ESB-ROTJ lightsaber, and also on the R1 lightsaber.
I don't know if the ANH V2 has straight or tapered bars, because it's really hard to make idea just from a single picture, it could either be tapered bars, and sleeve, on a narrow opening clamp, or straight bars, without sleeves, on a more closed wide opening clamp, but I would more think about the first reply.
If it's a tapered bars type, it means all black bars vaders saber have tapered bars, so, not a shame at all to have choosen the trapezoid-tapered bars shape.
If it's not, and it's a straight, it means no sleeve and wode opening clamp , not that easy to find.
Once sleeve is removed, a wide opening clamp gets close like a narrow opening clamp with sleeve (about 10mm, and 9mm if bent a bit)

Understood- Roman is doing the right thing for the broader market, but it is still personally disappointing, as I'm planning on replicating the ANH black sidebars prop according to what I see in the blurry photos- straight bars perhaps with no plastic insert- so the extra modification or sourcing is a bummer. Don't misunderstand- Roman's will be the best MPP replica yet. Parfaitelumiere- not sure if I'm losing your meaning or if I'm ignorant of the MPP clamp opening variations- if no sleeve, then clamp opening is smaller- about 10mm? The red LED circuit board is about 14 mm wide when cut to the edge of the solder dots, so does that offer some additional confirmation about which bars/clamp scenario is on the original ANH black sidebars prop? Does a 14 mm opening confirm what you say is the rarer scenario- no sleeve and wider opening? (Or am I totally confusing the variations?)

Last edited:
I am waiting to get a red led exactra board to confirm, but my very first thought was a wide opening clamp with straight bars, so yes, I was more thinking about a 13-15mm opening range, but it would mean the sleeve is still in place, even it seems to be absent on the blurry picture.
A wide opening is about 15mm if I remember correctly.
A narrow opening is about 10mm and once bend a bit to match ESB version, it gets to 9mm opening, the right way to get a accurate bubble trimming and grooving, close to the bubbles, like the museum pictures.
It will be very hard to modifiy a existing narrow clamp to a wide opening straight bar version, the only luck will be to find a spare clamp, maybe someone with original mpp, who wants to make a accurate ESB version, and ready to sell or trade his wrong clamp version?!
If I remember correctly the black bars ANH also has small B hole.

Eye popping single step shroud! My vintage MPP is sporting one of Roy's steel shrouds until a miracle occurs and I find a vintge one.
Congrats on a fantastic piece!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back