Potential variant Armitage Shanks Obi Wan saber pommell

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I think I *MAY* have found a variant of the Armitage Shanks pommel used on Obis saber.

Too a gamble this week and bought a pair of Armitage Shanks taps in the hope they were the real deal, but my £8 gamble on those didn't pay off and they were just the usual modern ones. Being though ive got quite a sharp eye for these as ive found 6 of the screen accurate one in the past 10 years I stumbled upon this another blending tap spout which I received today. So after opening the package I am overjoyed to see the size is right, the weight is bloody heavy and its only damage is a ding on the corner of one of the cubes. Whilst removing it from the spout I suddenly realised it had a different attachment inside, purely because I believe the spout was thermostatic. However, it does have the 'REG DES' stamped on the bottom ring. I haven't yet tried taking it apartm but I do know one thing - this is exactly the same as the more common (as if) standard variant in regards to dimensions and weight, if not a little heavier.Enjoy the pics and maybe ive been unaware of this variant but its a surprise all the same :) As you can see apart from the ding on one cube it is gorgeous and hardly used. Also, you will see the circular hole for the screw instead of the square one on the others.

Attachments

• SAM_4555.JPG
    SAM_4555.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 299
  • SAM_4558.JPG
    SAM_4558.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 264
  • SAM_4559.JPG
    SAM_4559.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 283
  • SAM_4569.JPG
    SAM_4569.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 278
So it's the same size as the original 70's type? I saw a bunch of these up for sale a while ago. They might by be available currently from Armitage shanks?

I think Andy had one or two of those. @mugatu, am I remembering that correctly?

Very nice score.

The only downside is that the center metal section extends further down and a booster doesn't fit in correctly. This is fixable by machining it down.

wow! i have a square shouldered one too! except mine has a raised donut where the usual square hole is under the cap. the innards of these are surprising and VERY cool!

Thanks guys,good to hear others have seen them. As per usual a moment of clumsiness by myself caused 2 more dings on one cube:angry Nothing overly serious though and its still the best finish I've seen on an older handwheel.

I think I'll be selling this on to use as prop funding. I've already got 3 obi sabers, don't need anymore.

I think Andy had one or two of those. @mugatu, am I remembering that correctly?

Very nice score.

The only downside is that the center metal section extends further down and a booster doesn't fit in correctly. This is fixable by machining it down.

Yeah, I've got two of them somewhere, lol. There was a case (20 or 40... can't remember exactly) for sale about 2 years ago for $400. I passed, but randomly corresponded with a guy in AUS that bought the case and I picked up two from him. The sleeve with the cubes is identical to the correct wheels. The metal inner parts aren't.

Nice find ... I don't recall having seen this variant either ... or I must have forgotten if mugatu showed us his before already :wacko

I've already got 3 obi sabers, don't need anymore.

I gather you mean all vintage parts? If so may I invite you to post pictures of your OB1's here, please : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275482 ... the same invitation goes to mugatu of course :)

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find ... I don't recall having seen this variant either ... or I must have forgotten if mugatu showed us his before already :wacko

I gather you mean all vintage parts? If so may I invite you to post pictures of your OB1's here, please : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275482 ... the same invitation goes to @mugatu of course :)

Chaïm

LOL,No chance. I collect on a budget and cant compete with some of you guys. Mine are 3D etc, but I try to make them as realistic as possible. I hunt these down as its just one of those things that intrigues me :)

As Anakin Starkiller said, these things are impossible to take apart but im willing to keep going and try. I can defiantely see the small gap section in the top .If and when I do ill post pics.

So is this considered a legit accurate handwheel or latter model of the original?

Thanks

Lee

So is this considered a legit accurate handwheel or latter model of the original?

I don't think it is entirely accurate even from the outside. I think the top part (top meaning where the end cap goes) is not rounded off enough to match the originals. From what I've gathered it is probably a more recent effort of AS to use old tooling, but with more color on the actual colors. Something about the logo says A-Team to me so i'd venture it's an early to mid 1980's version.

On a related note, how cool is this?

IMG_6154.JPG

Its the correct time frame. Its just a different type of handwheel. It uses the same molds for the cube section. The difference is this was designed to switch between hot and cold vy turning it left or right in the shower. Rather than the sink handwheels that were on or off for their respective water temps.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back