TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Those are the exact same lightsaber prop.

the saber maz passes to leia i believe has long grips. to back up this theory that scene is filmed in the resistance base, we see han with finn in the door way. i am under the impression she takes the saber from finn and hands it to leia.

heres a picture, not the one i am thinking of, the one I'm thinking of finn is holding the gun with 2 hands and has the saber in his coat ring
j-j-abrams-directs-harrison-ford-and-john.jpg

now looking this looks like the castle basement, let me continue searching. the pose finn is in in the picture is used in allot of promo pictures

edit: what do we all think is in finn's hand in this picture, long or short grips?

My run of TFA clamp cards will be here on the 1st of Feb. Once I inspect and make sure they're good, I'll make them available. Same options as the ROTJV2 cards, as far as silver soldering goes. Though I am not sure if the thin traces on the TFA saber are silver soldered.

awesome! ill be standing by!

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

No, the unused Maz scene saber had the short grips, same as the Maz box and the VD.

14472621874549-vi.jpg

You can see 2 grips here 1/8 inch short of the clamp.

Going back and looking at photos posted in this very thread and every lightsaber has the short grips.

Every clear photo we have, including the Wired saber and the sabers made for the Disney display, have grips that are 1/8 short of the end of the tube. All of the light sabers seen on screen have a 1/8 gap between the grips and the clamp also, including the saber in the box, Rey giving the saber to Luke, Maz giving the saber to Finn, the un-used scene of giving the saber to Leia, Rey holding the saber before fighting Kylo, and even the saber sticking out of the snow.

The grips are short. I know everyone wants them to be exactly the same length as the Luke ESB but they are short and styled like the ROTS Anakin prop.

The Finn fathead grips are taller, there is a visible gap at the top, and we can't see the bottom and don't know if there is a gap also.

I said it earlier, I'll say it again: the grips are short. If you use regular length grips and go from clamp to end like a Luke ESB your Rey Ep7 lightsaber will be inaccurate.

Please look at the high-res photos and stop seeing what you want in blurry photos. The grips are short.

Last edited:
Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

No, the unused Maz scene saber had the short grips, same as the Maz box and the VD.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rrkkqtdf...grdqwf/9/976173/4001324/14472621874549-vi.jpg

You can see 2 grips here 1/8 inch short of the clamp.

Going back and looking at photos posted in this very thread and every lightsaber has the short grips.

Every clear photo we have, including the Wired saber and the sabers made for the Disney display, have grips that are 1/8 short of the end of the tube. All of the light sabers seen on screen have a 1/8 gap between the grips and the clamp also, including the saber in the box, Rey giving the saber to Luke, Maz giving the saber to Finn, the un-used scene of giving the saber to Leia, Rey holding the saber before fighting Kylo, and even the saber sticking out of the snow.

The grips are short. I know everyone wants them to be exactly the same length as the Luke ESB but they are short and styled like the ROTS Anakin prop.

The Finn fathead grips are taller, there is a visible gap at the top, and we can't see the bottom and don't know if there is a gap also.

I said it earlier, I'll say it again: the grips are short. If you use regular length grips and go from clamp to end like a Luke ESB your Rey Ep7 lightsaber will be inaccurate.

Please look at the high-res photos and stop seeing what you want in blurry photos. The grips are short.

Yes there is a gap at the top and if people want to call that "short grips", great. However that pic shows the grips as being flush with the bottom tube. No gap. That's just the Kobold base. How do I know? You can tell by the angle of the saber to the camera.

It's too blurry to tell for sure, but I'm telling you, the grips are short the bottom just like the Anakin ROTS saber.

If you don't believe me, no worries, but it's gonna stink when you're pulling your grips off after the Blu-Ray and behind the scenes shorts show the short grips on all the screen-used sabers.

Last edited:
Sorry If this was answered I couldn't find it I'm the thread. The saber material hyperdyne supplied were they string LED blades used or a single LED set up ?

It's too blurry to tell for sure, but I'm telling you, the grips are short the bottom just like the Anakin ROTS saber.

If you don't believe me, no worries, but it's gonna stink when you're pulling your grips off after the Blu-Ray and behind the scenes shorts show the short grips on all the screen-used sabers.

I haven't put my TFA Graflex together yet, but when I do, it's going to have 3-5/8" grips on it.

If the TFA prop builders couldn't get the already well-known correct length right, why should I make mine "wrong?"

I respect the desire for accuracy, but shorter grips would look too weird to me.

I haven't put my TFA Graflex together yet, but when I do, it's going to have 3-5/8" grips on it.

If the TFA prop builders couldn't get the already well-known correct length right, why should I make mine "wrong?"

I respect the desire for accuracy, but shorter grips would look too weird to me.

You've got to make what makes you happy, accurate or not.

You know what would make me happy? Production designers and prop masters that are 1/100th as committed as the people around here are.

Don't get me wrong-- I admire that they went for a Graflex at all after the ROTS toy version-- but COME ON!

You know what would make me happy? Production designers and prop masters that are 1/100th as committed as the people around here are.

Don't get me wrong-- I admire that they went for a Graflex at all after the ROTS toy version-- but COME ON!

I could say the same thing about the prop makers who made the Luke ESB lightsaber after ANH.

And if I made my ESB Luke lightsaber look like the ANH version because that's what I like better and I can't believe the prop makers screwed up and changed the prop- it's my choice and it's cool, but it doesn't make my prop accurate to what is seen on-screen in ESB.

IMO subtle differences such as grip length would be part of the reason I'd even want to own a TFA Graflex in the first place. Every movie will have variations in the props that only people like us even notice or care about, and those differences are why we must HAVE ONE OF EVERY VERSION. :D The prop builders didn't get it "wrong" any more than it was wrong to lose a whole grip between ANH and ESB. For the purposes of the new movie they couldn't have gotten the prop more right: they used a real Graflex! (Cue the fireworks. Deride the Episode III saber.)

You're talking about the difference between "accuracy" and "idealized". You will put the wrong length grips on your TFA saber because you'd like to "idealize" that feature of it. And that's cool, James is right, you've gotta make the props that make you happy. This is why I don't have any Episode III sabers. :)

P.S. Scott D, your custom sabers are friggin awesome, by the way! (y)thumbsup

So if the grips are 1/8" short, are the cut outs and rivets located in the same spot as ESB or are they moved further up the hilt?

No, they're further up the hilt and smaller cuts (15mm from the bottom and 6-7mm wide)

I'll be making a 'blueprint' for this, but I might have to update it later.

I could say the same thing about the prop makers who made the Luke ESB lightsaber after ANH.

And if I made my ESB Luke lightsaber look like the ANH version because that's what I like better and I can't believe the prop makers screwed up and changed the prop- it's my choice and it's cool, but it doesn't make my prop accurate to what is seen on-screen in ESB.

Yes, I agree. And I'm very convinced about the short grips as well. With the bottom being at its full length judging from the square holes, I estimate them to be 87mm (3.43")

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

Last edited:

I totally hear you. I decided to leave my Graflex be with it's slight mistakes. Between all the variations it's hard to be 100% accurate-- plus my Graflex is special to me because of when and how I found it-- so the fact I made a few unchangable mods based on what there was to go on at the time kinda makes it uniquely mine.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back