Mcquarrie: Splinter of the Mind's Eye lightsaber

The handle of this lightsaber in the artwork looks squared off not circular only the emitter is circular.

I love the idea of a squared lightsaber hilt, would be quite original

i wish the original pic worked, I;d love to see it.

Just saw that someone posted and noticed the original image no longer worked. I fixed it in the post and post it here as well.

mysplintersaber2_zpsm4fhjqmi.jpg

Last edited:
Read that book years ago as well as the han solo adventures. Loved It. The saber looks great! Never thought about a flat sided saber. You may have started something now!

As stated in the original post, I no longer have this lightsaber hilt but I do still have the first body I made for it:

IMG_2800_zps3u3jwdha.jpg

IMG_2801_zpsjwushpw7.jpg

IMG_2802_zps4s7qvthg.jpg

This body was made much the same way except that it is wider (2 inches wide). When I made this hilt, I took the measurements from a Luke ROTJ or Ben lightsaber emitter. Once assembled, I felt as if the body to emitter scale was off. As a result, I remade the emitter a little smaller. I can't remember if I went to 1.75" or 1.50" for width.

You can see how the one side was milled flat for the control box and the detailed milled groove at the pommel. Originally I had a o ring in the groove but decided black paint detailing looked better.

Cool! I didn't know you'd made a metal version of this, Frank! It looks awesome.

Ages ago someone did offer a run of resin castings of this style of lightsaber, either here or on ASAP. It was a basic squared off handle as painted along with an Obi-wan emitter... Does anyone remember who did it? I'll post pics of it later today... I ended up buying the master from the member long after the run but now I can't remember who that was.

Mara Jade's Father would you consider either doing a limited run or a made to order of this replica? It looks excellent and I would love to get my hands on one of these!

Mara Jade's Father would you consider either doing a limited run or a made to order of this replica? It looks excellent and I would love to get my hands on one of these!

I wish I could but I can't even do this for myself because I would like to have one again too. I was lucky enough 17 years ago to have access to a machine shop and folks who could teach me a few things. However it was only available to me for a short time.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! I didn't know you'd made a metal version of this, Frank! It looks awesome.

Ages ago someone did offer a run of resin castings of this style of lightsaber, either here or on ASAP. It was a basic squared off handle as painted along with an Obi-wan emitter... Does anyone remember who did it? I'll post pics of it later today... I ended up buying the master from the member long after the run but now I can't remember who that was.

Yes, I did it around 2000.

Do you have the basic dimensions? Could be fun for a quick 3d model / print.

Nothing written down. Most of it was build eyeballing it. The only thing I had measurements of going in was Ben's emitter just to give me a rough idea of what I wanted the emitter to look like. I believe besides the width, most of the old hilt that I still have is similar. I'll grab some measurements tomorrow.

I wish I could but I can't even do this for myself because I would like to have one again too. I was lucky enough 17 years ago to have access to a machine shop and folks who could teach me a few things. However it was only available to me for a short time.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I did it around 2000.

Oh! Well that makes sense, lol. I hadn't realized it had been so long.

Here are some pics of the parts... shamefully I think it my longest backburnered kit:

Do you have the basic dimensions? Could be fun for a quick 3d model / print.

Nothing written down. Most of it was build eyeballing it. The only thing I had measurements of going in was Ben's emitter just to give me a rough idea of what I wanted the emitter to look like. I believe besides the width, most of the old hilt that I still have is similar. I'll grab some measurements tomorrow.

As promised, here are some dimensions. Reminder that this is not from the completed one in the first post as that is long gone, but I have a grip section I made originally but remade it as it was too wide. I believe all i changed was the width and everything else stated the same.

Grip length = 6"
Grip width = ?.. Possibly 1.75"... the old grip was 2"
Grip thickness = 1"

Groove width = 1/8"
Groove depth = 1/8"
Groove location = Centered at 0.75" from pommel end.

Control box length = 4"
Control box width = 5/8"
Control box location = 1/4" from emitter end

The curvature on the sides is a result of lathing it to it's proper diameter and then milling the sides equally until 1" remained.

Cool concept! I bought that book when it first came out and forgot that Ralph McQuarrie did the cover. This brings back memories.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back