The Tor (Thor) - Rare Swedish Flashgun Lightsaber Build

OHH! WANT!!!!

I've never seen one of those. Every minicam I've spotted in the wild just had a black rimmed top.

Trade me for a Graflite? They are worth a lot. I hear they make lightsabers out of them!

I only have the one. I had never seen them before until this one, but since then I've seen a couple come and go. Just save search minicam flash or minicam reflector and you'll catch one. Of course now that I posted this they'll go up to $50 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahaha-- I see plenty of Minicam flashes, but they are all like I described. I'm so on the hunt now!

Finally had some time to fiddle with the saber!
20160206_132550.jpg
Trying to cover up the nametag without removing or damaging it, i cut two pieces of aluminum. One which would fit just above and even out the surface for the second. And the second which went on top of both.
20160206_132800.jpg
20160206_143559.jpg
I added a border by gluing black electrical wire to the sides of it, which turned out quite well. However, the aluminum still stands out a lot from the base saber, so i'm thinking of putting some form of greebles on there, will have to think and see what i can come up with.
20160206_143614.jpg
I like how it turned out, but as i said, it does not feel complete just yet.
20160206_150934.jpg
Next i decided to tackle this strange clamp thing.
20160206_150930.jpg
When i was visiting my parents this Christmas, my dad found one of these bike-wheel air-valve thingies in the washing machine after i had used it. He asked me why i had it in my pocket but i had no idea how it got there. Just before he threw it i realized it might make a brilliant greeblie and saved it. Later when i got the flash, i realized it was a perfect fit for the back-clamp-thing and got two more from the store, these were a slightly different colour. I ended up using the old one and one new one, combined with some electrical wire and attached to a shelf-plug-thingy which also fit perfectly.
20160206_151128.jpg
I like how this adds a lot of small detail to an otherwise very featureless saber. It looks like it's there for some reason... like... magnetic plasma containment alignment. I dunno. Technobabble.
20160206_154653.jpg
This is how it looks at the moment, hanging from a crude belt hook i made.

What remains now is adding some greeblies to the emitter part thing and finding something to put in the clamp. Any ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

• 20160206_154653.jpg
    20160206_154653.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 72
Nice solution on covering the name plate. And those bike valve greeblies are perfect!

As for filling the clamp, I've been experimenting with cutting custom circuit boards out of the center of vintage boards with a ring saw. I've been able to get some cool 3 dimensional circuitry features on boards this way. I was inspired by all the custom sabers people have been sharing recently and was thinkin of putting some up in the Junkyard. Check it out:

Reali-customboards-1-2.jpgReali-customboards-2-2.jpg

My fan brain doesn't like going off-canon on the Graflex... but my custom/mod brain LOVES those!

I've actually had the exact same idea! The clamp on mine isn't very long, so having that black box could look quite cool! Been looking around for vintage electronics to cut them from! Awesome to see the idea in practice, looks cool!

I've actually had the exact same idea! The clamp on mine isn't very long, so having that black box could look quite cool! Been looking around for vintage electronics to cut them from! Awesome to see the idea in practice, looks cool!

Thanks! If you like I could cut you one to the dimensions of your clamp. I'm not workin on any actual custom sabers yet but I'd love to see one of my boards put to good use.

Nice solution on covering the name plate. And those bike valve greeblies are perfect!

As for filling the clamp, I've been experimenting with cutting custom circuit boards out of the center of vintage boards with a ring saw. I've been able to get some cool 3 dimensional circuitry features on boards this way. I was inspired by all the custom sabers people have been sharing recently and was thinkin of putting some up in the Junkyard. Check it out:

View attachment 588278View attachment 588277

I love these dude. [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's done! After loosing hours of sleep thinking about it, i realized i was going in the wrong direction with this thing. The beauty of the flash gun itself was its simplicity and i was adding way to much unnecessary stuff. So, with that said, i removed all the things i added in the last update and went back to the drawing board. So for the last week or so i've been looking around and contemplating on how to do this. And well, here's the results! And i could not be happier!

I present to you, The Tor.

20160215_212839.jpg

20160215_212942.jpg
I decided to remove the nametag, which was a lot easier than i thought, just pried it of with a dull knife and it came of with bolts and everything, leaving only two asymmetrical holes on the front. It took me a long while to figure out how to cover up the holes but after trying several methods (which were cool in theory but looked rubbish in practice) i came up with the solution you see right now. It's the top of four brass nails i snipped of their respective nails. Turned out great! As you might see here though i accidentally damaged the plating when removing the last emitter thingy, don't know how to fix that so i'll just call it weathering and leave it there.

20160215_212906.jpg
Now here's something i'm really happy with, the circuit board! I found an old toy cellphone lying around my theatre group's prop room, since i'm in charge and i know it's never been used and never will be, i pried it open for possible greeblies and circuitboards and found an amazingly patterned one! In my excitement i've forgotten to document it in it's uncut form, but what you are seeing here are three areas where buttons would press down. I also opened a couple of old calculators to see how they work, and some of them, the cheap ones have similar patterns, so that might be a good observation if you're ever hunting for a nice circuit board!

20160215_212855.jpg
As for the D-ring, i changed it to a silver one. Because shiny.

20160215_212931.jpg
As for the strange back clamp... I've really grown to like it. There's something very nice about it. We're friends now. Not gonna force it to change.

20160215_213158.jpg
In my (very long) hands. I realized none of my previous pictures really showed of the relative size of this thing. It measures 25cm long and about 3,7cm in diameter at the emitter.

Tor Ignited.jpg
And ignited.

I might some day, when i've acquired the money, skill and tools, install a blade and everything. But until then, it shall be admired for it's aesthetic pleasurableness.

Attachments

• Tor Ignited.jpg
    Tor Ignited.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 76
That came out great!

Even your store-bought parts seem unique since they are foreign to most of us.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back