Custom Lightsaber Help/Ideas/Opinions Needed

NomoZ

Here's my lightsaber as it sits now. I like how it is now, but I think it can be better, so I'd love to pick your brains. It's based on a Busch B-C Synchronizer, has a small Heiland shroud, textured mylar tape on a piece of aluminum covering the screws on the box/clamp, and stick on rubber grips from Custom Saber Shop. I'm mainly thinking of changing the grip to 5 or 6 of the rails in the attached pictures, and trying to figure out what to do with the cutout parts of the shroud. I'm also debating whether to cover the bulb release lever, which is the silver rectangle on the bottom. I'd love to hear your thoughts on those parts and any other ideas you may have.

Attachments

• small1.jpg
    small1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 299
  • small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 314
  • small3.jpg
    small3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 194
  • small4.jpg
    small4.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 197
  • small5.jpg
    small5.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 197
  • small6.jpg
    small6.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 177
  • small7.jpg
    small7.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 208
  • small8.jpg
    small8.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 161
  • small-rail.jpg
    small-rail.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 203
I would look at giving the clamp a "band"... by that I mean taking thin sheet styrene and cutting it wide enough to cover the two straps holding the control box on and long enough to go around to each side of the box... does that make sense?

If you heat the styrene (I put it for a few seconds in boiling water ) it will curve nicely... then paint it back.

Here's a pic of my ROTJ MOM scratch build that I did the styrene band...

IMG_2542 by Ellery VanDooyeweert, on Flickr

I would also consider going with big ol, uncomfortable t-track. Classic look...

Thanks for the ideas guys. I thought about T tracks as I have big hands and they aren't too bad for me. I kind of want something different thought. I did find a part I forgot I had that can cover the bulb release lever. I'm still fitting the shroud to it so it's not on in the picture, and I have to find something to cover the big opening. I just put a washer and foil tape over it for the picture.

Attachments

• small9.jpg
    small9.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 122
Just finished filing the shroud for it to fit. The washer in the last pic is removed.

Attachments

• small10.jpg
    small10.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 117
Here's an update for those interested.

On the front is a Heiland bulb release that's been modified to fit a larger screw; this piece will be the "activation switch". I didn't want to use this part originally because it meant drilling a big hole right in the middle of the "Busch B-C" stamping, but I gave in when I realized it was the right part for it.

For the back I decided to add another piece I got from Custom Saber Shop. It's a nut shaped like a Graflex button that went with a button sold on the site. I didn't want it permanently attached, and I didn't have a bolt with the same threading, so I cut off the threaded portion of the switch. I epoxied the threaded section with a washer to the main piece, and added a piece of thin metal tubing scavenged from an old ac adapter plug. I had to pry out the bulb release lever so it could fit properly, then added some foil tape to the side walls so more like could reflect in. As a result the spring inside is still faintly visible in the hole, and adds a little depth to it. I'm thinking of adding a clear piece of plastic over it.

I think I'm pretty much done with the upper section of the hilt aside from possibly painting some of the parts black. I may also ad a small piece to fill in between the activation switch and the fins above the clamp box. I'm also keeping an eye out for something to dress up the emitter a bit. Still debating what to do with the grips. I haven't ruled out T tracks, but I'd prefer something a little more visually interesting/unique, which is why I'm considering the rails in the first post.

Attachments

• small11.jpg
    small11.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 112
  • update.jpg
    update.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Update2.jpg
    Update2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 124
  • update-black.jpg
    update-black.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 108
Here's an update for those interested.

On the front is a Heiland bulb release that's been modified to fit a larger screw; this piece will be the "activation switch". I didn't want to use this part originally because it meant drilling a big hole right in the middle of the "Busch B-C" stamping, but I gave in when I realized it was the right part for it.

For the back I decided to add another piece I got from Custom Saber Shop. It's a nut shaped like a Graflex button that went with a button sold on the site. I didn't want it permanently attached, and I didn't have a bolt with the same threading, so I cut off the threaded portion of the switch. I epoxied the threaded section with a washer to the main piece, and added a piece of thin metal tubing scavenged from an old ac adapter plug. I had to pry out the bulb release lever so it could fit properly, then added some foil tape to the side walls so more like could reflect in. As a result the spring inside is still faintly visible in the hole, and adds a little depth to it. I'm thinking of adding a clear piece of plastic over it.

I think I'm pretty much done with the upper section of the hilt aside from possibly painting some of the parts black. I may also ad a small piece to fill in between the activation switch and the fins above the clamp box. I'm also keeping an eye out for something to dress up the emitter a bit. Still debating what to do with the grips. I haven't ruled out T tracks, but I'd prefer something a little more visually interesting/unique, which is why I'm considering the rails in the first post.

I like those rails. It would be something that hasn't been done before. What was their original purpose?

Ha ha! that looks like the same heiland bulb release I am planning on using on my korbanth 2.0 if it ever comes in. Cool!

I like those rails. It would be something that hasn't been done before. What was their original purpose?

I recognize them from my Nerf gun modding-- those are tac rails for attaching on guns to be a universal mount for accessories like scope, laser sights, flashlights, etc.

I've been wracking my brain on grip alternates and hadn't thought of these-- really original idea!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I keep coming back to the rails so I think I'm going to order them. I have a g36c airsoft rifle and I had taken the bottom rail off of it and left it on my desk. When I was working on my saber I saw it there and thought it'd be a good size and shape for a grip. I stumbled on the ones in my first post when looking for a place to order some from. I'm hoping the radius on the bottom is close to my saber's so they'll be easy to fit. Down side is that I've only found them available out of China either on eBay or AliExpress, so they'll take a month to arrive.

The rails finally arrived from China this week. I shortened them down to 3 3/4" by cutting off the small sections on both ends. My original plan was to mount them using 1 or 2 of the screws provided. I made a template for the holes, but even with that and using my smallest bit, the placement still isn't perfect after 3 tries. First couple attempts were too far forward, and 3rd is too far back. I'm going to order some 3M 1/2 inch mounting tape so I can place them as best as possible so I can stop OCDing over them. once I'm happy with how they're placed I'm going to dremel the tops of the screws off and epoxy them in the holes on the grip rails.

There are 5 of them around the saber and despite being pretty wide they are actually comfortable. I'm just going to file down the corners a little bit so they don't bite as much.

Right now I'm debating if I want to remove the powder coated(guessing) finish and go with a raw/polished look.

Attachments

• small12 grip.jpg
    small12 grip.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 126
  • small-rail.jpg
    small-rail.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 118
Those grips are quite unique and fit your custom design ... awaiting a picture of the saber in your hands patiently :)

Chaim

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back