TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

FYI - Ben was not involved with sound on TFA. He was kicked to the curb along with other SW long timers. One reason I didn't care for the new overlays on the sabers. They didn't sound right - out of place. BB8 wouldn't of sounded like a broken cabbage patch kid if Ben designed the sounds.

When I spoke to Ben Burtt in Essen he mentioned that he was going to be involved freelance with TFA ... and indeed according to his IMDb file online : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0123785/ he did sound design and he is also mentioned as part of the CREW list on TFA IMDb for sound design ... now whatever he designed is up to debate ... so you may be correct he was not responsible for the lightsabers/BB8 sounds :)

Chaim

They could do it either way, but in a video Boyega mentions they wanted sound but it didnt happen on set. Either way it's possible since they had the tech to do it. That was my intent when I first invented the wireless sound module with accel-based motion - I wanted to be able to do theatrical saber scenes without laborious post work. I've been waiting for over a decade for someone to realize it's potential, and it finally hit in a big way!

FYI - Ben was not involved with sound on TFA. He was kicked to the curb along with other SW long timers. One reason I didn't care for the new overlays on the sabers. They didn't sound right - out of place. BB8 wouldn't of sounded like a broken cabbage patch kid if Ben designed the sounds.

On a different topic, here is a quick vid of my own unstable kylo blade I made for a friend. I did add LEDs to the hand guards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTMGuF4z_JQ

That's a shame about Ben Burt. I was complaining about the GRAFLEX making the wrong sound when Finn activated it to some people and they thought I was crazy. Now it totally makes sense.

That blade is AMAZING by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn't involved AT ALL. Ben is a personal friend of mine, so you can choose not to believe me if it suits you. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

When I spoke to Ben Burtt in Essen he mentioned that he was going to be involved freelance with TFA ... and indeed according to his IMDb file online : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0123785/ he did sound design and he is also mentioned as part of the CREW list on TFA IMDb for sound design ... now whatever he designed is up to debate ... so you may be correct he was not responsible for the lightsabers/BB8 sounds :)

Chaim

- - - Updated - - -

You are not alone! I hated how they made the sounds different. Why would you make the sound of the most iconic light saber so different? You wouldn't if you had the original designer involved.

That's a shame about Ben Burt. I was complaining about the GRAFLEX making the wrong sound when Finn activated it to some people and they thought I was crazy. Now it totally makes sense.

That blade is AMAZING by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree. That crispy snap-hiss is just as iconic as the design of the hilt. Then TFA happens and it's this low bassy throbbing sound... : /

Glad to know I'm not alone.

He wasn't involved AT ALL. Ben is a personal friend of mine, so you can choose not to believe me if it suits you. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

- - - Updated - - -

You are not alone! I hated how they made the sounds different. Why would you make the sound of the most iconic light saber so different? You wouldn't if you had the original designer involved.

Okay thanks hyperdyne for clearing that up ... I guess in the summer of 2013 he naturally thought he would be involved ... a shame that he did not though :cry

Chaim

Yeah I immediately thought the sabre sounds were way off - really annoyed me. Sad to hear about Ben not being involved - why ever was he not?

I hate to play devil's advocate but the same could be said about not immediately believing someone on the RPF who says Ben wasn't involved vs other sources on the internet that say he was. Not trying to be confrontational, just stating an observation.

That's a shame about Ben Burt. I was complaining about the GRAFLEX making the wrong sound when Finn activated it to some people and they thought I was crazy.

To be fair-- he got lazy about this in the PT as well.

In the OT the sounds were very unique. Luke and Ben had the classic start up sound, Vader had his snap-hiss-y action. And Luke V2 got the screamer.

TPM was more or less consistent, but AOTC and ROTS mixed and matched the sounds. I'll one up your "my friends think I'm a super nerd" problem. I couldn't handley Zam Wessel's pistol making a TIE fighter laser cannon sound.

Anyway-- sorry to derail :)

Last edited:
To add a little fuel to the conversation (like it needs any), I saw that someone suggested 3M metal wrap film as what was used to cover up the graflex logo. So I ordered up a sample from amazon and it arrived today. Personally I'm skeptical that they went this route. I don't think you can manipulate it (sanding, painting, etc) to achieve the look of the parts that we've seen. I'm in the boat that they stamped out a very thin plate and rounded it to cover a vintage clamp. Thoughts?

IMG_0067.JPG

To add a little fuel to the conversation (like it needs any), I saw that someone suggested 3M metal wrap film as what was used to cover up the graflex logo. So I ordered up a sample from amazon and it arrived today. Personally I'm skeptical that they went this route. I don't think you can manipulate it (sanding, painting, etc) to achieve the look of the parts that we've seen. I'm in the boat that they stamped out a very thin plate and rounded it to cover a vintage clamp. Thoughts?

View attachment 579487

That's not the brushed version, is it? Even something as inexpensive as Con-tact shelf liner looks more like metal than that.

20167229462_e5fe72ef75_b.jpg

Only one of the silver bands above is bare aluminum. The copper and the other silver is all Con-tact.

View attachment 579487

I did the same thing with a similar product and came to the same conclusion. I'm in the thin stainless steel sleeve camp

That's not the brushed version, is it? Even something as inexpensive as Con-tact shelf liner looks more like metal than that.

View attachment 579508

Only one of the silver bands above is bare aluminum. The copper and the other silver is all Con-tact.

It's not the brushed version. It might make a difference if it were. Though, just looking at it, it looks uber fake and plastic. Faux metal vs actual metal like aluminum foil tape. My biggest concern with using something like foil tape is that over time the GRAFLEX deboss will get dented in. Then again you might be able to fill the logo and then use foil tape over it? This solution doesn't seem rugged enough though.

Your examples look pretty good!

Like I said, you don't have to believe me. I've been a member since 1999 here, so I would like to think my rep is pretty good. I've made props that live at Skywalker Sound and for Ben personally. But hey, I'm just a guy on an internet forum.

There are many reasons behind the scenes why things are listed the way they are. Professional courtesy. When you get knee deep in it then it all becomes quite clear.

I hate to play devil's advocate but the same could be said about not immediately believing someone on the RPF who says Ben wasn't involved vs other sources on the internet that say he was. Not trying to be confrontational, just stating an observation.

Like I said, you don't have to believe me. I've been a member since 1999 here, so I would like to think my rep is pretty good. I've made props that live at Skywalker Sound and for Ben personally. But hey, I'm just a guy on an internet forum.

There are many reasons behind the scenes why things are listed the way they are. Professional courtesy. When you get knee deep in it then it all becomes quite clear.

Makes sense, sort of like how Edgar Wright was still given story credit on Ant-Man.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back