The Martian Space Suit

Asked this on the Facebook group but didn't get any great leads. Figured I'd ask here.

Is there a source for these small NASA patches. I can only find 3" ones. These appear to about 1.25-1.5" in size.
3051841-poster-p-1-meet-the-man-behind-the-martian.jpg

Just spotted this image and it reminded me of a comment somewhere in this thread about whether or not the tinted visor comes down or not. I think Captain April pointed out that it wouldn't be possible for it to cover the entire visor. From this picture I'd say it does swivel down but the Captain is correct.

Helmut-Mic.jpg

They can be found as a part of a polo shirt. However, if you are content with an abstract version of the patch, AB Emblems (the official contractor for NASA) have a 1.5 inch version.

Managed to get a bit of wiring done to finalise the design onto the prototype board. A couple of the sensors are missing as I broke one whilst soldering and I haven't yet soldered a lead for the other but other than that the hardware is now all done. Just the code to finish now...

5f4fe110c50156c8e1377ebb1bd84907.jpg

Well I have officially abandoned trying to 3D print this helmet. I just don't have the skills to cut and then put the models back together. It's causing me to waste filament and raises my blood pressure. However, the bright side is that I can take what I have and use it to make templates for a cardboard version. It'll have to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome thanks.

My Martian gloves! Armor pieces are painted foam. The connectors between the joints are rubber strips. The base are just plain black gloves. The other fabrics and trim I hand sewed on. Thanks for the inspiration and help everyone! This is such an interesting and detailed costume to be working on.
2016-05-11 22.43.46.jpg
I'll probably attach velcro on the gloves that can be stuck on to the bottom of the sleeves of the suit.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back