Imperator Furiosa: Mad Max Fury Road

But look how thick the individual blades are. I'd just do them in EVA foam. Plus it's "con safe."

I'll have to grind 'em down to make them nice and blunt. There's an appeal to real metal for me... mostly the clinking noise :D

- - - Updated - - -

what's everyone planning to do for the hair? will cutting down a wig work?

I intend to stipple paint a bald cap, more or less like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/63120832253774130/

Looks like a lot of work. My wife has short hair, I'm gonna vote she just bite the bullet and goes all in. But this is always a back up plan. Thanks for the link.

Looks like a lot of work. My wife has short hair, I'm gonna vote she just bite the bullet and goes all in. But this is always a back up plan. Thanks for the link.

I'm tempted, but it took me years to grow this butt-length hair, so I'm not sure I'm ready to sacrifice it all!

I think I have rattled my brain to the point of giving up and throwing in the towel on that hook knife ... I researched almost every knife, tool, axe, axepick, ice pick, or other climbing and utility tools. It must be as some people say on this thread a "custom Job" (whomp)

I haven't found a great match yet, but I'm thinking they could possibly be some style of foreceps (bone holding / medical) or tongs (crucible / blacksmith / block ice / lumber)? It'd explain why there's two of them, at least.

http://www.re-owned.com/itemcode-nv3292j-c3#.VZWXHs9VjW8

127465_00001.gif

Here's also another fun variety of thing to google: "Break and Rake Tool."

http://www.grainger.com/product/BLACKHAWK-Break-N-Rake-Tool-14P365
14P365_AS01.jpg

Last edited:
So, any leads on the pants, or "custom job" again? ;) Modified riding pants?

Garment leather? Denim?

View attachment 496062
View attachment 496063
View attachment 496064

The cuts are intentional, as they all have the decorative/anti-fray stitching around them, which is delightfully curvy (thanks, plan to cuss at my sewing machine over THAT...) I might do a zig zag stitch at the widest and longest setting and call it close enough for the sake of my sanity.

Last edited:
for the long claw finger shape... may be some sort of Ice Axe or a ratcheting clamp for trees or a tree too

I agree with this, it looks most like a tree tong or pipe tong. However, looking at the concept art and how the design slowly morphed into the final, I'd say it's almost definitely a custom job. Those sketches are very artsy and specific, as is the prototype. Somebody looked at that and said, "I like the fingers, lets hook them so they can conceivably grab Max like they need to, and add some of the ridges from the vise grip jaws, and the gearing." It's most likely fabricated and cast in various materials for weight savings/stunt use.

Just my opinion, I'd be very interested to see if anybody ever finds a real world instance of it.

Wow missed a lot on this thread over the weekend! Great stuff everyone detenten I totally get the clinking from the metal, me and my fiancé love that feel lol though we are going to grind ours down to make them con safe. As for her hair I don't think she or even I could part with her butt-length hair (though she did wake one night, while I was over her with a pair a scissors)... MFP 2020 Great call on the pants! yet again I wish you had posted this before I spent the a week hand stitching some random pants I found at a thrift store lol, I mean I'm satisfied with the results but those pants are a lot more similar than the ones I purchased. Awesome find though!

So Anyways just wanted to check in and give an update on my arm build and also had some questions. Most of the stuff I found was at a junk yard still couldn't find that claw "sigh", but I highly suggest if you are building the arm out of real material and not foam go to your local junkyard first stuff is either free or stupid cheap!!! so here is the arm with its first ligament attached

photo 3.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

So for my first Question as you can see in the back round of the picture there is a air compressor from a car trunk, anyone know how to remove the air to adjust the length of the tube itself? Also I'm having trouble disassembling a pair of vice grips that I'm using for the thumb anyone have any suggestions on rivet removal of a vice grip been hitting that thing with a hammer for like a week now and just a few scratches. Please any suggestions would be helpful, My next stop is a mechanic and I'm sure they'll look at me like I'm crazy, but its all for the sake of cosplay!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
go to your local junkyard first stuff is either free or stupid cheap!!!

I actively thought this while grabbing things at the 50% off hardware store closing and am definitely going through buyer's remorse on some trinkets I'm pretty sure should have been free!!! :sick

Arm is looking super cool!

Also I'm having trouble disassembling a pair of vice grips that I'm using for the thumb anyone have any suggestions on rivet removal of a vice grip been hitting that thing with a hammer for like a week now and just a few scratches.

If you have a hardcore drill maybe you can drill out the rivets... at least that works on leather buckles. You might ruin a drill and/or drill bit, though. Maybe try backing over with a car it in the driveway a few times???

For disassembling vise grips. Find the cut off wheel for a dremel, get your gloves on and saftey goggles and cut the rivet across or find some one with a grinder and grind it down.

For the pants I'm doing a faux stretch leather, because I only have so much money to spend and sewing garment weight leather is a next step I'm not quite ready for. They don't have the weave/knit of deinim in any of the high res photos I've seen, which is why i'm leaning towards leather.

They are definitely a custom job, with the stitching around the slits and blanket stitching on all the seams. I'm hoping to get started on them this weekend. I haven't built a ton of pants, so i'm curious to see how this turns out.

Okay so after taking a whole day of work to figure this out I think I have just about finished my little Frankenstein project of the arm. First off detenten tried backing over with the car no luck :cry and @ Abelugo I only wish I had a fraction of any of those tools, but I do have a mechanic friend who I will be paying a visit to this weekend (there is still hope). Great suggestions guys but vice grips are probably my least favorite tool right now lol. Though other than the vice grip piece on the thumb this project is pretty much complete!!! :D There are still wire and plugs that will be attached though bolt a nuts that are attached to the shoulder piece so if it looks a little naked sorry.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

As for the identifying parts especially on the ligaments, the ones I used as followed

1: Vacuum line (which is the weaved metallic looking wire)
2: A Wrench (size depends on the wearer) attached to aluminum pole using electrical and thick metal wire
3: Gas charged lift support, its used for trunks (and I would suggest going to a mechanic to adjust the size of the inner tube and outer tube). don't do what I did with a pic axe and nearly blow your face off, did the trick but super dangerous!!!
4: various electrical wires.
5: and the dial looking thing on her elbow piece is a tire pressure gauge, ($2 at auto zone)

These are the pieces I had most trouble identifying personally, if you go to a junkyard they should have all this stuff, probably weathered as well. Also make sure to ask for a gas charged lift support with out the compressed gas! If you cant find any of it there head straight to auto zone, stuff is pretty cheap there.

Let me know what you guys think, hope you enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back