Blackkaos'Robocop : JFcustom's FOAM build(s) [●WIP]

Excellent work! That is a good tip about lining up the seams too. Do you mind sharing what kind of glue you use?

Re: Blackkaos'Robocop : JFcustom's FOAM build [●WIP]

Where I can get that black torso thingy
Good question! Just ask google image for "tamtam 1968" ;)

Excellent work! That is a good tip about lining up the seams too. Do you mind sharing what kind of glue you use?
Well it's hot glue "Rapid GEN-T", sets in 15-30 seconds.
The one in the middle :

How do I search for that kind of foam...
I suggest you could pick some clues from the first post.

_____

So, I had a sweet sunday today, enough time to unfold a bit further, and complete both blue and red arms. And also to start the blue helmet.

Last edited:
This is amazing and I love the shots you have been taking of how some sections of the build are being actually done. The chin section of the build, is that the same foam as the body? Are you just using consistent 6.5mm foam for the whole build?

Maximus

... The chin section of the build, is that the same foam as the body? Are you just using consistent 6.5mm foam for the whole build?
It's 100% all made from the same foam I've always been using for every part of all of my builds, 7mm polyethylen foam rolls.

How on Earth are you going to make that last?!
Cost it with Varnish or Latex or Flexi-Resin ?
It's so beautiful, gotta protect it !!
Well, probably with the same rubber coating I always use. Then blue/grey paint.
But this time I'll use a polymer flexible varnish to make the suit glossy rather than matt.

Not to be rude or anything but is there a big difference between blackkaos's and laellee's foam templates? Just curious!

Great work as always!!

Not to be rude or anything but is there a big difference between blackkaos's and laellee's foam templates? Just curious!

Great work as always!!

I haven't seen these unfolds specifically, but I'm going to assume a pretty big difference for a couple of reasons.

1) I modeled my Robocop specifically for paper pep, and went pretty overboard with details like panel separation lines that are only a few mm wide. The result is a very detailed model that is also very tedious to build in paper. The foam files were an afterthought; had I modeled it for foam, I would have left all of those panel lines off to be added later, making the build much more manageable.

2) Gaiatron did an awesome job unfolding my original model for foam, but he essentially got stuck putting lipstick on a pig because of what I described above. :lol I could have made mine much friendlier, but oh well. In contrast, BlackKaos' model doesn't look like it gets bogged down in the stuff I went overboard on for paper, and with JFcustom unfolding and build you know it's going to be amazing.

Anyways, this is looking incredible :popcorn The proportions alone make it awesome to me, never mind the cleanness of the suit design and build so far. :thumbsup

I haven't seen these unfolds specifically, but I'm going to assume a pretty big difference for a couple of reasons.

1) I modeled my Robocop specifically for paper pep, and went pretty overboard with details like panel separation lines that are only a few mm wide. The result is a very detailed model that is also very tedious to build in paper. The foam files were an afterthought; had I modeled it for foam, I would have left all of those panel lines off to be added later, making the build much more manageable.

2) Gaiatron did an awesome job unfolding my original model for foam, but he essentially got stuck putting lipstick on a pig because of what I described above. :lol I could have made mine much friendlier, but oh well. In contrast, BlackKaos' model doesn't look like it gets bogged down in the stuff I went overboard on for paper, and with JFcustom unfolding and build you know it's going to be amazing.

Anyways, this is looking incredible :popcorn The proportions alone make it awesome to me, never mind the cleanness of the suit design and build so far. :thumbsup

I agree laelee that your file is much more detailed with the line pattern then mine is and I didn't intend for mine to be extremely detailed and more of a basic form so the lines could be added in later but I must say that you did an excellent job modeling your Robocop model and I was a little jealous that I didn't model a more detailed model after I seen your model release but I believe both of our models have their parts in this world and it's about the individual's preferred choice of the two for how they want to build. Again excellent job on your model laelee and excellent job on your build JF Customs.

Cod abs section...

To simulate a thicker material, I use a simple moutain fold around the bottom apperture of the cod piece :

Test (successful) of a cod / abs telescopic section. A smoother walk should decrease the guy-in-a-box effect when strolling suited.

In the movies this section is also rotative sideways. It's pretty easy to reproduce, I'm torn about doing it for the red suit.

nice...quality of this armor is like armor from cast resin.....
Cod abs section...
http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/wip/rbc01/rbcp25_th.jpg

To simulate a thicker material, I use a simple moutain fold around the bottom apperture of the cod piece :
http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/wip/rbc01/rbcp26_th.jpg http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/wip/rbc01/rbcp27_th.jpg

Test (successful) of a cod / abs telescopic section. A smoother walk should decrease the guy-in-a-box effect when strolling suited.
http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/wip/rbc01/rbcp28_th.jpg http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/wip/rbc01/rbcp29_th.jpg http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/wip/rbc01/rbcp30_th.jpg
In the movies this section is also rotative sideways. It's pretty easy to reproduce, I'm torn about doing it for the red suit.

My free-time window has been shorter than expected to complete both suits in one go... and legs are still missing.:cry
I'll be able to resume this build as from the 2nd of june. :p

Any ideas how much the foam files will be once the unfolding is complete? I'd love to build this for Halloween this year.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back