Stephen King's IT (2017) (Post-release)

Re: New Remake of Stephen King's book IT.

Im lost. Can you explain the book climax, maybe in the spoiler quote things?
All the kids bond their powers together by having group middle school sex. It sounds creepier that it was when you just say it. In the book it's almost sweet, I guess.

Anybody see the 4 min long "first look" with Pennywise and Georgie having a conversation?
I really really like Skarsgard's take. effing creepy. The mix between the high pitched silly voice, and the low, gruff, serial killer voice is pretty unsettling. Can't wait to see this.

Edit: This is the only video of if I could find.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleh.

They did it right in the original. Tim Curry played Pennywise perfectly. Just enough campiness to the character. The street drain and the photobook scenes were classic and frightening.

The new clown looks like Vincent D'nofrios Pyle character from FMJ when he's sitting on the toilet.

Im lost. Can you explain the book climax, maybe in the spoiler quote things?

The final of the first part ?

SPOILER (what is the spoiler symbol ?)
In the book, to join their force to kill IT, the kids **** the only girl of the band, Bev.
It's strange I agree......

In the remake, no sex scene (I read it in a magazine)

Bleh.

They did it right in the original. Tim Curry played Pennywise perfectly. Just enough campiness to the character. The street drain and the photobook scenes were classic and frightening.

The new clown looks like Vincent D'nofrios Pyle character from FMJ when he's sitting on the toilet.

Agreed. In the middle of reading the book again for the umpteenth time since the late 1980s, and Tim Curry’s performance is so indelible it is almost inseparable from the character in the book in my mind. I think that Tim’s acting in the Georgie scene alone is incredibly nuanced, and have watched it again on YouTube several times in just the past few days just to enjoy all of the different shading he puts into just a few lines.

Whereas the new Pennywise reminds me of nothing more than Johnny Depp doing Willy Wonka – not only in voice and mannerism (Willy Wonks mixed with Michael Jackson), but also the unnecessary spirit of “doing it differently and weirdly for no good reason other than just to do it differently and weirdly“.

M

edit to add - and that is the beauty of Tim’s performance, which seems completely lost in the new version. The clown is supposed to be – at least when Georgie sees it – somewhat of an attractive character to lure in a small child. The clown disguise is supposed to be almost like the camouflage of a predator. The new clown would make even the dumbest small child freak out and run away instantly – not a very effective lure.

Agreed. In the middle of reading the book again for the umpteenth time since the late 1980s, and Tim Curry’s performance is so indelible it is almost inseparable from the character in the book in my mind. I think that Tim’s acting in the Georgie scene alone is incredibly nuanced, and have watched it again on YouTube several times in just the past few days just to enjoy all of the different shading he puts into just a few lines.

Whereas the new Pennywise reminds me of nothing more than Johnny Depp doing Willy Wonka – not only in voice and mannerism (Willy Wonks mixed with Michael Jackson), but also the unnecessary spirit of “doing it differently and weirdly for no good reason other than just to do it differently and weirdly“.

M

edit to add - and that is the beauty of Tim’s performance, which seems completely lost in the new version. The clown is supposed to be – at least when Georgie sees it – somewhat of an attractive character to lure in a small child. The clown disguise is supposed to be almost like the camouflage of a predator. The new clown would make even the dumbest small child freak out and run away instantly – not a very effective lure.

Espiecially when we see his eyes lol :lol
It's so scary

yeah seeing them now, and I see why they had a Press Blackout it was screened last Sat, lots of mixed reviews

Many of the movie websites have already posted their reviews earlier in the morning and majority of them are positive.

Got a single ticket for the first showing this evening. a Single ticket because my wife is a huge baby.

Yup, my wife wouldn't go either. So I called up my brother and sister to see if they wanted to go. Got both of them to go last night to see it. I really enjoyed in the movie. It was the best horror flick I've seen a long time. Richie was killing me with his jokes and one liners the whole time. The guy playing pennywise was great. Very playful yet evil as hell in his performance. The drool when he talks to the kids is so creepy as he can't wait to eat them. Glad to see Bill ( pennywise) take after his older brother Gustaf ( Viking Floki) style and acting ability then his other brother Alexander ( true blood) terrible acting skills. Can't wait for the 2nd part to finish the story

I didn't see Stephen king in it, then found out he didn't do one. I wonder why since he is in all his movies. Unless he is gonna be in part 2.

hope Tim curry Shows up as well in part 2

I really really liked it.
Not only is it one of the best horror movies I've seen in a LONG time, it's also just a good movie. The kids were brilliant. Perfectly cast and great acting all around. Pennywise, while I LOVE Curry's interpretation, IMHO was a more accurate portrayal to the book. The white suit with orange pompoms and orange hair. He was silly, creepy, luring, evil, insane, mocking, all in one. I'm ok with the time shift from late 50's to late 80's in order to have Chapter 2 be in current times.

I want to go see it again.

So I havent seen the movie yet. It just started last night. To go full circle in this thread, is the house I first posted seen very much in the film? For that alone I want to see the movie. I finally got around to seeing the original tv movie released on DVD. It wasnt bad and Im not a horror movie person. Always liked Tim Curry. Saw him last week in Toronto Fan Expo. Sad to see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTV4Mv21ts

What I am concerned about is how the adult movie is going to play out. The kid part is like 75% of the book with the adult part only like 25%. With the flashbacks you understand the emotional significance of why the adults are compelled to return to Derry even though they don't really want to. By showing us all the flashbacks in the first movie how is the first part of the adult movie gonna play out? With Mike calling them, they get a weird look on their face, and then just saying, "okay, I'll come back". That is going to be pretty dull.

Just got back went with a friend who is a HUGE fan of "IT" the tv movie and the book.

I myself never really cared for the tv movie and never read the book.

Thought Pennywise was awful and lackluster but I loved the kids performances all in all a "one and done" for me.

My friend was not impressed with Penny either and hated some of the kids in it, as dave pointed out he thought the second part would kinda be a moot point in the way they structured the first film.

I hope they get a second part but the way every one in the theatre left I could tell not to many were impressed with IT

Saw it today – found it to be a very solid, enjoyable film. I just finished re-reading the book - yet again - and obviously there was no way they were going to compress even 1/2 of a 1200 page book into a two hour movie without cutting a lot. Furthermore, they made some pretty significant changes to the story, various character arcs and roles, etc. so it is not a very faithful adaptation of the book – but still stands on its own just fine as a separate thing.

And, frankly, my latest re-reading of the book convinced me that that book really did not need to be 1200 pages in the first place – there was so much chaff in the book that could be deleted that the film actually works a bit better, even though some of my favorite parts are not in there.

I didn’t find the film particularly scary, which was actually a good thing as the character development on the part of the kids was so good that throwing in a lot of excessively scary or gruesome moments would’ve made the film feel schizophrenic. Instead, it was just a good, fun movie with heart, somewhat reminiscent of a (very dark) Spielberg movie from the 1980s. I recommend it.

M

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back