R2/MPC 22" Eagle Transporter

anamorphicWayne

Sr Member
Last summer I was fortunate enough to grab me one of these beasties. So, I thought I'd put my spin on it.

00 kit.jpg

01 cm 01.JPG 01 cm 02.JPG 01 cm 03.JPG 01 cm 05.JPG
To start, I decided to fabricate a hatch from the Command Module to the front Walkway. I removed the square block on the CM backing and made an inverted doorway.

02 walkways 01.JPG 02 walkways 02.JPG 02 walkways 03.JPG 02 walkways 05.JPG
From there, I made the hatch for the Walkway. It also doubled as the battery compartment.

02 walkways 06.JPG 02 walkways 07.JPG
I dd the same for the rear Walkway. But instead, the Engines will mounted to this compartment lid.

03 feet 01.JPG 03 feet 02.JPG 03 feet 03.JPG 03 feet 04.JPG
I re-enforced the Landing Feet by adding pins to the shocks and aluminum tubing over the plastic leg stems.

03 feet 06.JPG 03 feet 07.JPG 03 feet 08.JPG 03 feet 09.JPG
The redid the Landing Feet on Passenger Pod by redoing the shocks in the same manor.

06 passenger 01.JPG
I found these LED strip lights at the dollar store and used them extensively throughout the model. They require low voltage, so I could use multiple of them.

04 leg pods 01.JPG 04 leg pods 02.JPG
I had to un-solder each LED and resistor from the strip to accommodate them within the model.

Continuing on......

06 passenger 01.JPG
Again, I used these LED strip lights to illuminate the ceiling within the Passenger Pod. I used three regular LEDs to light up the wall/computer panels.

06 passenger 02.JPG 06 passenger 03.JPG 06 passenger 04.JPG 06 passenger 05.JPG
I plotted out the best distribution of the LEDs utilizing the least amount of current.

06 passenger 06.JPG 06 passenger 07.JPG
Next, I fabricated the ceiling panels using styrene and frosted plastic.

06 passenger 08.JPG 06 passenger 09.JPG 06 passenger 10.JPG
For the interior, I made up a template and used it to make up the walls, cupboards, ramps and doorways.

06 passenger 11.JPG 06 passenger 12.JPG
I also made up the two hatches (front/rear) despite you'll probably won't see them.

06 passenger 13.JPG 06 passenger 14.JPG
I painted the interior walls, as well as the CM back wall, with acrylic FolkArt paint. I later applied a layered of dull coat.

06 passenger 15.JPG 06 passenger 16.JPG 06 passenger 17.JPG
The computer wall was a piece of frosted clear plastic with the details scribed and painted on. The frosted plastic was perfect for backlighting the buttons/monitors.

Okay, now the for the furnishings.....

06 passenger 18.JPG 06 passenger 19.JPG 06 passenger 20.JPG
The passenger seats are made of, yet again, styrene with small pieces of black foam for cushions. I used acrylic craft paint to paint the seats.

06 passenger 21.JPG 06 passenger 22.JPG
The space suits were foam sheets cut into the suits. I painted on decals, zippers and added wrist clamps.

06 passenger 23.JPG 06 passenger 24.JPG
Next was the computer console and chair.

06 passenger 25.JPG 06 passenger 26.JPG 06 passenger 27.JPG 06 passenger 28.JPG
I also did other various accessories, like jugs, cases, laser weapons and cargo containers.

06 passenger 29.JPG 06 passenger 31.JPG 06 passenger 32.JPG 06 passenger 33.JPG
If I wanted to see the interior, I had to remove the original doors and make them open/close.

Note: While researching the main doors, I found the door's relief on the miniature didn't match the doors on the live action set. Yet another SPACE 1999 mis-continuity.

06 passenger 34.JPG 06 passenger 35.JPG
With the main doors working, I had to make the interior fit within the pod without any sticking.

06 passenger 36.JPG 06 passenger 37.JPG
A few shots of the finished interior before the ceiling panels are added.

06 passenger 38.JPG 06 passenger 39.JPG
After I got the doors to slide open/shut without issues, the ceiling panels got glued on and then the roof. BTW, the whole bottom section of the pod is removable, only the roof is permanently attached to the Spine. Mostly because of the wiring.

Next!!

The last bits.....

05 engines 01.JPG
For the Engine lights, I used four red LEDs from these toy finger zappers.

05 engines 02.JPG 05 engines 03.JPG
Instead of having the wiring running thru the engine tanks, I ran them on the outside.

05 engines 04.JPG
The wires fed to the Engine's cage frame and into the Walkway's compartment lid. From there, they're piped along the Spine to the front Walkway to the battery.

04 leg pods 03.JPG 02 walkways 08.JPG 06 passenger 40.JPG
The VTOLs were installed within the Walkways and the Passenger Pod and were connected thru contacts mounted on the PP and Walkways.

07 pilots 01.JPG 07 pilots 02.JPG 07 pilots 03.JPG
And lastly, were the pilots and the Command Module. The two LEDs in the CM were also fed to the front Walkway via contacts mounted on the CM and Walkway.

Now, onto the finale.....

Congratulations on a fine distinctive build. Great detail on the interior and it's good to see a machine type weathering/ageing rather than the usual Anderson/StarWars style.

A-Wayne, very nice job! Inspiring even... thank you for sharing the details of your project - fine example for us all!
Regards, Robert

Really fantastic work, those interiors look like filming sets! Outstanding paint work all around too! Great catch on the LED light strips, those look great for all kinds of projects.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back