The show off your MPP 2.0 thread

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Korbanth and TCSS both have them in hand. I just got a shipping notice. I figured it was time to create a master thread like the Graflex 2.0 one to see what people decide to do with them.

I don't plan on going electronic. I ordered it assuming I'd never get my hands on an MPP-- so for me it's an accurizing project. I'm sure Khal or Tom or some of the other usual suspects will be quick to offer up parts to help get this done.

I'll need it in hand to look at the parts to determine what I should replace with Roy's stuff. I've held on to one of his shrouds for this thing, hope it fits. I also have a Synchronar bulb socket handy. Given that Roman has said his repro will have an ANH style clamp, I'll make the 2.0 my ESB build.

Should have it in hand in the next couple days!

Last edited:
Just ordered mine today. My first foray into the saber building world. Was between that and the graflex, but apparently this batch of graflex has problems and since the mpp doesn't seem to be produced as often, I went with it. Planning on doing full electronics and maybe a crystal core.

Last edited:
16684623_10208494523427871_524719111_n.jpg16729616_10208494523467872_1606271823_n.jpg16730780_10208494523347869_2067600728_n.jpg

I had to chase my mailman down cause he insisted he had no packages for me. Jerk-- your work is tracked. Don't be lazy.

So yes-- got it! Shocked I'm one of the first on here to do so...

Here's the whole thing out of the box--

MPP2A.jpg

Not bad! Lot's of minor details that are inaccurate-- not that it was meant to be accurate. But really, only a couple things that aren't modifiable.

MPP2B.jpg

Like the Graflex 2.0, it splits in half with pre-drilled holes for ANH or ESB grips.

MPP2C.jpg

Interestingly, the threads on the outside are purely cosmetic, the endcap threads internally like the Graflex 2.0. The black center part is a separate and with some work (okay a fair amount of work) could maybe be removed. I think this means that a third party endcap like the one Khal does might even be easer since to add as it could set into that hole. Or it's possible I have no idea what I am talking about and it could destroy the cap.

MPP2D.jpg

Cool feature-- while the blade holder is obviously hollow, very end of it has the inset spring to emulate what the MPP has. I'm sure the right blade plug would complete the illusion.

One thing I can see that won't be fixable-- LOOKIT THE SIZE OF THAT B HOLE! :0

MPP2E.jpg

The quality of the shroud is actually great. It's thick-walled and the wrinkle paint is expertly done. I didn't get a pic of it, but the preview images showed a set alan screw holds it into place on the front, while the thumbscrew on the back is actually a blade retention screw. (I think, it's the size for it, but I'm not an electronic saber guy so don't go buying it for this feature and yell at me if I am wrong.)

I don't have an MPP to compare to-- but here is the shroud next to one of roygilsing made, (ignore the finish, I was trying some paint/weathering techniques). You can see the length from the step to the shortest part of the angle is slightly longer on Roy's. And, like I said, the MPP2.0 shroud is thick-- thicker than any of the 2-step Heiland shrouds I have laying around to feel up for comparison.

Moment of truth for me--

MPP2F.jpg

Roy's shroud fits just fine-- about the exact same level of snugness as the 2.0 shroud.

MPP2G.jpg

Blade holder removed, def not the same model as the Graflex. I tried putting in a Synchronar bulb socket and it was too thick-- but barely. I think some sanding and I can make it work-- it's the plastic end with the plugs, not the metal. Hard to tell-- but it looks like all the ports/plugs will line up-- which would be awesome. Might make the b hole look a little less whack.

MPP2H.jpg

2.0 bulb release assembly on the left, one of Roy's repo's on the right. Ignore the changes I made to work on a custom saber. Not a great comparison for you-- sorry! Roy's is narrower at the top.

MPP2I.jpg

Didn't get a pic for comparison, but the clamp does have a sleeve, and it's nearly identical to the sleeve from my Parks MPP clamp repro.

MPP2J.jpg

Again, apologies I have no MPP so this may be a useless comparison-- but the 2.0 clamp is on the bottom and an unfinished Parks clamp on top. You can see the angle change in the 2.0 clamp. Maybe Darth Saber can speak to if that's any good or not. Even after making the bible I'm still fuzzy on the MPP clamp variations.

Didn't get a pic, but the lever and sidebars are chrome plated. No black bars.

Also not pictures-- bubble strip is actually better than most of the repro ones. It doesn't have the shaved bubble, but it is six bubbles with any extra space on either end.

Grips are the same as the Graflex 2.0, as well as most of the hardware being torx screws save for the set alan screw and blade retention thumbscrew on the shroud.

Overall, I'm please with it. Would I have bought it knowing Roman was going to make a repro? Maybe not. But like the Graflex 2.0 it'll be a fun project to accurize, and a great piece to have given that MPPs are so rare in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't get them in at first either, ended up having to just remove the small metal clips from the inside of that small piece that pops out of the middle of the blade holder. Once those were out, I just bent the wires tightly on the inside. It's a bit messy, and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of room to secure them if electronics are also installed, but removing the clips does free up enough room to get them in.

Looking very good! My biggest question about the 2.0 is about the clamp. Is the ESB clamp generally agreed to be all black? If so, anyone plan to remove the switch and paint theirs? Maybe add a bulbous through-screw? Short of someone offering a replacement clamp that's all done, I am very curious to see how RPF'ers achieve this.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back