Solo: A Star Wars Story - Mimban Stormtrooper Discussion

Wow, I get to point this out again for the same movie lol.
Totally WW1 theme going on here,

... and I get to agree with you once again. The ammo pouches too look quite a bit like the throw-away type developed for the German stormtroopers during the Great War (no doubt where the US army got their inspiration for the pouches MoScout posted).

423c7269c0e59c1fbee1af58e399256d.jpg

Looks like regular stormtrooper armor, but a little more grungy looking. The only piece that's been modified is the helmet with that added blast shield.

I don't know what it is about blast shields, but they look great on Star Wars helmets.

I agree completely. One of my customs in progress...

08q1 - Blast shield, positioning test.jpg08q2 - Blast shield, positioning test.jpg

Positioning approximating where it will sit stowed and deployed once I finish the mounts. I've loved blast shields on Star Wars helmets since the original. :)

On topic, now that I've seen Solo, I am totally doing my own take on a Mimban non-Stormtrooper trooper. I love what Rogue One and Solo have added to the Imperial officer's wardrobe...

Are blast shields like this really useful? It seems pretty limiting to not be able to see at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Are blast shields like this really useful? It seems pretty limiting to not be able to see at all.

I have figured since sometime in the '80s that the vision systems on the helmets in-universe are a bit more complex than tinted plastic. The cutaway of the Stormtrooper helmet in the Visual Dictionary, when it was eventually published, made me happy because it reinforced that impression. The lenses on a Stormtrooper helmet are protecting sensors of some kind that feed into a display system.

This, actually, was why Boba's rangefinder never made sense to me. So, what, in the GFFA they haven't invented picture-in-picture? You need to have your external sensor system feed into an easily snagged sticky-outy thing that has to swing down into -- and block part of -- your field of view to see what it's telling you? Looks cool. But bad design.

So I figure there's still something displayed inside the helmet, behind the blast shield. It serves to protect the visual sensors from superbright (possibly atomic) flashes that might burn them out, or shrapnel that might physically damage them or the protective shields. The one I showed above for that Mando helmet will be servo-actuated, from a momentary switch in my glove. Defaults to "up". So, in actual use, it'd be, like... *fires proton missile* *blast shield drops down* *missile explodes* *blast shield returns to stowed* A momentary thing, where you'd likely turn away or shield your eyes with your hand, so you don't have to do either.

There remains the problem of how some of them would "actually" deploy. Like the ones on the Tantive IV troopers (still actively working to alter the perception of them as "Rebel Fleet Troopers", 'cause that's stupid). They built some with the smoked piece up on the forehead, and others with it down over the eyes. But there's no mechanism to make it move from one to the other. It's just presumed to through magic SW tech.

Then there are also the ones that likely don't move, and just serve as semi-decorative ablative overpieces, like the ones on the Stormtrooper garrison helmets (also erroneously known as "Imperial Navy Troopers"), Shore Troopers, AT-ACT Drivers, Stormtrooper Tankers, and Agent Kallus, as well as the Mimban Stormtroopers. I like both styles, and am working up a template. Unless some enterprising soul is already offering blast shields and I haven't found it yet. *lol*

Following up to my own post to clarify what I mean by template. It took me no time at all to get started on the helmet armor piece. The close shot from the Topps card set is quite helpful -- and infuriating. *lol* As already observed, it's a re-use of the Rogue One Stormtrooper helmet. Specifically the "low-brow" version, where the brow trim (green line) is on a line with the return edge at the top of the goggle openings (red line). The new armor plate has it's own brow trim (blue line), that seems thicker than the R1 brow trim, but the same height. But then there's a piece between (yellow line)...

blast shield.png

Given the sides of the new armor piece look flush with the brow trim at the sides, that extra piece can't be uniform in width all the way around -- it has to taper. The helmet's brow trim is about 4mm thick. The outer brow trim is roughly twice that. That middle piece works out to about 7mm at center-front. Then there are those two cutouts to either side, above the lenses. Parallax is hard to gauge precisely, and the near one is all-but-indiscernable, but I eyeballed it at just over an inch wide and a generous millimeter deep, with a 3/16" diameter post in the middle of it against the inner edge that projects slightly below the three pieces. I don't know what that piece is, whether it may be attached to the side ovals (there looks to be a straight line coming off the bottom of the visible one that disappears inside/under the armor piece), etc. One thing that became instantly apparent as I started examining it with an eye to re-creating it was that it's a lot more complex than just another slightly bigger piece that sticks onto the front of the helmet.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back