"Great" films that wear out...

View attachment 809730

You wouldn't get all "wound up" about it, but it's your avatar AND your signature?

Odd, to say the least...

I like parts and bits,Stormtroopers are something I think that is worthwhile to come out of SW and really if they ever make a film with just them and no rebels,no sith no nothing I'd watch it.

To me the original films are okay,not great but okay.

The prequels are the same,a bit more sloppy and you can skip the first film but still okay.

Seven is great,brought back the old marvel comics SW and is a fun ride same with Rouge one,somehow eight had the wheels fall off and have pretty much drove me away from it all but I still like the Stormtroopers :lol

I also like Boba Fett and think they could have done much more with him....

Not a movie but a TV show... Batman. I loved it as a kid in the 60's. Loved it as reruns in the 70's and 80's. Now I can't stand it, even for its cheese. It's on MeTV and I hurry to change the channel before the theme starts, which was one of my favorites.

Watching "Run Lola Run" with my Film Studies class today. I loved that movie in my 20's, but the last few years I've struggled to get through it without a lot of eye-rolling. Pseudo-intellectual late 90's techno spaz has aged about as well as milk (The original Matrix excepted, of course).

I have been watching 80's movies with my Kid- some hold up some don't but the list below.

HOLD's UP - AND she liked it:
Star Wars Original Trilogy
Back to the Future
Goonies
Princess Bride
Beetlejuice

Didn't hold up for me (But she liked it)
Little Monsters
Gremlins
Adventures in Baby sitting

Didn't hold up and she didn't like it.
Willow
Godzilla
Ninja Turtles
89 Batman

she does however LOVE 66' Batman TV show

I have been watching 80's movies with my Kid- some hold up some don't but the list below.

HOLD's UP - AND she liked it:
Star Wars Original Trilogy
Back to the Future
Goonies
Princess Bride
Beetlejuice

Didn't hold up for me (But she liked it)
Little Monsters
Gremlins
Adventures in Baby sitting

Didn't hold up and she didn't like it.
Willow
Godzilla
Ninja Turtles
89 Batman

she does however LOVE 66' Batman TV show
I was talking to a friend who recently saw the princess bride for the first time with his kids.

They all hated it. He couldn't tell me why but the entire film bothered them. They found it boring and unfunny.

Crazy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Caddyshack:
Agreed, Treadwell...but its classic quotes live on forever!

At least in my vernacular. :lol

The Wook

"How'd you like to make fourteen dollars...the hard way!"
I say that to my wife far too often. ;)
We recently watched Excalibur, as much as I love it my kid barely made it through the whole thing. Helen Mirren and the fighting were what kept her interested. Some of the acting is pretty over the top but easily overlooked when I was younger. I still love it but mostly for the nostalgia and seeing Neeson and Stewart together.

Caddyshack:

"How'd you like to make fourteen dollars...the hard way!"

I say that to my wife far too often. ;)

Lol...oh, I bet she just loves that!

We recently watched Excalibur, as much as I love it my kid barely made it through the whole thing. Helen Mirren and the fighting were what kept her interested. Some of the acting is pretty over the top but easily overlooked when I was younger. I still love it but mostly for the nostalgia and seeing Neeson and Stewart together.

Excalibur is not for everyone. I think one really needs to love Arthurian legend to fully appreciate it. It's Top-5 for me All-Time. The soundtrack--with lots of Wagner, and Orff--is absolutely epic! Also Top-5 all-time.

The Wook

I was talking to a friend who recently saw the princess bride for the first time with his kids.

They all hated it. He couldn't tell me why but the entire film bothered them. They found it boring and unfunny.

Crazy.

I mean if you are a Micheal Bay everything exploding all the time everywhere movie must....then yeah it might seem slow.

I've notice that with old Bond films as well with the younger generation -many complain they are boring

I mean if you are a Micheal Bay everything exploding all the time everywhere movie must....then yeah it might seem slow.

I've notice that with old Bond films as well with the younger generation -many complain they are boring

I grew up with the old Bond films and the only ones I can say I actually liked were the Timothy Dalton ones,but Craig beats even him for me.

The others were kinda fun even as a kid silly and somewhat boring.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I LOOOOOOOOVED that movie so much when I was a kid I watched it an insane number of times on VHS. I just can't get myself to watch it anymore.

I have a hard time with the Goonies.

It should be a perfect film. But every scene seems like a bunch of kids screaming over each other

Honestly, ANH is perfect. There is absolutely no fat whatsoever, and the pace is wonderfully slow for a constantly engaging action movie. And on top of being a wonderfully edited and scored space opera, it's a perfect fairy tale.

Absolutely! A couple years ago, I had introduced the films to my girlfriend who had never watched them before and knew next to nothing about them (she's a PhD student in literature, so I think she's knows a thing or two about story telling). She was enthralled by ANH and referred to it as "perfect simplicity". It's not deep with quite a basic premise of good guy vs. bad guy, but like you say, as a fairy tale, it's perfect with a huge additional dose of incredibly fun imagination and creativity. It has most definitely not worn out for me, and I doubt it ever will.

Two years ago I would have said that. But I watched them all with my kids recently. (machete order) and for the first time in my life, A New hope has replaced ESB as my favorite movie ever. (even as a little kid, I liked empire more)

Honestly, ANH is perfect. There is absolutely no fat whatsoever, and the pace is wonderfully slow for a constantly engaging action movie. And on top of being a wonderfully edited and scored space opera, it's a perfect fairy tale.

In 500 years, people will think of luke skywalker the same way they think of Cinderella or Peter Pan.
While age and the recent Disney SW films have more or less killed my enthusiasm for Star Wars. I do look forward to the day where if I have kids I can introduce them to Star Wars like you have and look at it through their eyes.

I have a hard time with the Goonies.

It should be a perfect film. But every scene seems like a bunch of kids screaming over each other

I thought that was one of the best things about the movie because that's really the way kids talk, all at the same time. They don't just wait for one person to finish their lines before the next one speaks. Great direction by Spielberg. Go find a room full of kids, it's just like that.

I thought that was one of the best things about the movie because that's really the way kids talk, all at the same time. They don't just wait for one person to finish their lines before the next one speaks. Great direction by Spielberg. Go find a room full of kids, it's just like that.

I totally agree. But to my 41 year old ears, it was a bit much.

While age and the recent Disney SW films have more or less killed my enthusiasm for Star Wars. I do look forward to the day where if I have kids I can introduce them to Star Wars like you have and look at it through their eyes.
Watch the video I put up on post #43

And then watch this video. I showed my kids the films in this order:
1. ANH (I spent a year on this one film, without letting them know that there were any others)
2. ESB
3. TPM
4. ATOTC
5. ROTS
5.ROTJ

The key to this is changing the sibling revelation from Jedi to Sith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Novv2nh0Q

E.T.
Forrest Gump
Watchmen
Platoon
Se7en
Hidden Figures (My wife made me watch it. It’s 100% predictable.)

E.T.
Forrest Gump
Watchmen
Platoon
Se7en
Hidden Figures (My wife made me watch it. It’s 100% predictable.)

watchmen has gotten better to me. (perhaps other things have gotten much, much worse)

And I loved Gump when it came out. As I've gotten older, I've been less tolerable towards it's neo-con message

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back