Spacebobs Power Droid Plans

That why I wanted to get the new numbers out there, because so many people are saying they are starting soon.
Now there is a choice to try to make the size you want.
I'm going to start one based on the sandcrawler Gonk, now I need to make accurate foot plans :)

no seriously i think we all appreciate it very much. you taking the time and releasing the updated measurements! you started a GONK wave!!! lol

Can't thank you enough for the plans.

I too am working on drawing up my plans.

Question: Do these drawings take into account material thickness? As I was drawing mine up, I started to wonder and then I started thinking about whether or not I want to finger joint the pieces or just butt joint them. I am probably over thinking it, but that's what we do here.

-Eric

The front and back screw to the sides, so the sides are not full length on the plans.
Then top and bottom fit inside the front and sides. Hope that makes sense :)
Also this assumes 12mm board thickness.

Last edited:
The front and back screw to the sides, so the sides are not full length on the plans.
Then top and bottom fit inside the front and sides. Hope that makes sense :)
Also this assumes 12mm board thickness.

That makes sense. Is that for the body only, or does that work for the feet as well?

-Eric

The feet on mine are solid oak to the dimensions given in the plans with a little support on the back.
Side pics show the support but it's up to you if you add it or not.
You can make them with whatever you can get, if you use ply then you will need to take that in to consideration .
They need to be as heavy as possible really :)

The feet on mine are solid oak to the dimensions given in the plans with a little support on the back.
Side pics show the support but it's up to you if you add it or not.
You can make them with whatever you can get, if you use ply then you will need to take that in to consideration .
They need to be as heavy as possible really :)

I was going to make them hollow. I could either make them hollow and fill them with something heavy or solid MDF could be nice and heavy.

-Eric

Very cool build! digging the weathered look.

Very tempted to build one myself, because winter in the UK is the perfect time for this sort of thing, and I'm sure plywood will love the rain.

Can I ask, the face part, with the 'eye' and other greebles, did you use a baking tray for that and attach a greebled board to the baking tray?

Just trying to work out how best to tackle that part.

Thanks.

Yes pandabarnes
The board is just hardboard (3mm fibre board), its screwed with tiny screws and glued I think to the inside of the baking tray.
It really helps it not look like a baking tray :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks spacebob, it def looks a lot less like a baking tray that way, all I need to do now is find suitable greebles.

I've also got the plywood now, so the Gonk has been added to a long list of works in progress!

I'll post some pics if I manage to cut it straight.

I hope your cutting goes well,
be sure to start a thread and I'd love you to post finished pics on here. It's one of the easiest 1:1 props you will ever build.
My Artoo took years to get around to "finishing", my battle droid took about 6 months of working in my tea/lunch breaks, my pit droid about 3 months of breaks and the Gonk took about 2 weeks of breaks to finish. Believe.
Come on people you have the plans, you don't have to steal them from the citadel tower. Just GONK :)

There are so many days when I curse ever knowing that the RPF exists. Mainly it's when I want to build EVERYTHING and then swiftly realize I have nowhere to put it.

I've been trying to get my GONK build off the ground since the middle of 2016, but just get sidetracked by other threads, other movies and more often than not, housework. LOL. Of course it doesn't change the fact that I have no where to put many of these things, but I do love a project and a guy's gotta have a hobby, right?

Cool, thanks @spacebob, it def looks a lot less like a baking tray that way, all I need to do now is find suitable greebles.

I just took apart an old printer for greebles for my own Gonk, and they're some of the best I've got. Between that and a massive computer screen, I should be pretty close to set for greebles. Thank goodness the hubby is on board for all builds Star Wars. ;)

I just took apart an old printer for greebles for my own Gonk, and they're some of the best I've got. Between that and a massive computer screen, I should be pretty close to set for greebles. Thank goodness the hubby is on board for all builds Star Wars. ;)

Good idea, I have an old inkjet laying around somewhere, might see what I can find in there.

I just grabbed these from some scrapped projectors, hopefully on of them will fit as an eye.

droideyes1.jpg

Do you have a build thread on the go CrossRhoda?

Nice! I love those projector lenses.

I just looked, and I guess I never started a thread for my Gonk. I'm also doing some backgrounds for food photography, but that's stalled until Amazon delivers some control buttons. ;)

Here's my charismatic little guy. I'm probably going to try for a dark blue color, then tag the back of him with a hasty rebel logo, like he's been stolen and repurposed by the alliance.

attachment.php

hey @CrossRhoda, looks great - love the greebles, especially the heat sync with the wires coming out.

mine is underway now, side and front panels are cut but haven't test fitted them, or cut the top and bottom, or the side inlays!

I was all about the four main panels, so much that I totally forgot it needs a top and bottom. lol.

it'll be a slow moving project I think, but I think once the panels are all cut, it'll come together quite fast.

now to find a baking tray that fits the bill.

I'll get a thread started soon...ish.

edit: I got impatient, my thread is up - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=273503&p=4191414#post4191414

Last edited:
Hi spacebob

My Gonk is progressing nicely but I have a few questions, hope that's cool.

Did you plane an angle on the edges of the base and roof sections? because of the angled sides, it's not quite 90 degrees, so I'm wondering how it holds together?

Also, did you route the groove into your midrail after fitting it and radiusing the corners to round them off, or are there seperate bits top and bottom to give that effect?

Aaaand finally, just curous what glue you used, I started with regular woodworking PVA type stuff but it doesn't seem too strong to me.

Thanks man.

Hello pandabarnes

I didn't plane an angle on the panels it was close enough with gripfill being a gap filling adhesive it did the rest.
i routed the mid rail after assembling it together but before screwing to the main body.

Hope that helps Spacebob

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back