AOTC Jedi Pilot's Headset

Darth Lars

Master Member
20020702_title.jpg

ep2-1a-18285.jpg

I'm thinking the boom/mike and earpiece must have been from a store-bought headset.
Has anyone identified which headset was used?

Edit: The correct donor headset has been identified as the Plantronics SR1. See further down for pics.

I've done a little bit of looking around on this.

Plantronics H101N

Xbox 360 Headset (Obviously this wasn't out when the movie was made, but the older Xbox had similar headsets)

Xbox Live Halo 2 Headset The ear part is wrong, but the boom looks close?

PS2 Headset

None are perfect, but I was mostly focusing on the boom mic, thinking the ear piece was seperate (its pretty generic looking) and that there might be some added stuff in there as well.

I can probably get some old broken Plantronics headsets at work, and that was what I was going to use for the boom. But I know how perfectionists some people are, so I'd like to see if we can find the real deal.

Oh.. Then it is likely that it is a Plantronics headset. :D

I have found many Plantronics headsets with what appears to be the correct middle part, but the boom is not correct on any of them.

PC versions:
Plantronics .Audio [40,45,50] seem to have the correct middle part, but the boom is different and the earcup seems does not have the cover and must have been painted.
There are also USB versions of the .Audio headsets, including the Plantronics DSP-100 which has noise-canceling electronics.
X-Box: Plantronics GameCom X10 is the same with a different connector.
Mobile: Plantronics M110, M114

I think the boom mic must be separate, with the ribbed part of the boom covering the joint.

Best pic I found, of an .Audio 50:
[attachmentid=11314]

I have got myself a Plantronics .Audio 50 and started conversion. <strike>This is the one, people.</strike> :D

The ear piece needs some conversion. It has six ridges to hold the cover, but these are not visible on any pic of a screen-used headset that I have seen. It also has four spokes that need to be added before painting. The cover is probably glued to the inside of the earpiece, but I'll be gluing on a flange for the cover to sit around instead.

The second half of the boom, except for the very tip, is all rubber with a brass strip inside. There is no plastic or metal tube inside that could be used. :(
So I suppose the front part of the boom is from a second donator headset. Now, how to find that one? It is not like you are allowed to disassemble headsets in the store ... :unsure

Thats the same type I got (except mine is an Xbox version, so its green insted of white)

Yeah, that boom is a pain. You know there is supposed to be foam over it, you just can't tell what it looks like with the foam.

I'm interested to see what you do. If I didn't have 10,000 other projects going right now, I would be getting toatally into this.

Ouch. I have found an earlier model that has a (more) accurate boom.
The Plantronics SR1. I assume that the .Audio 50 is the successor/replacement to this one.
The headband and the upper part of the boom are slightly different on the .Audio 50, but the middle part looks the same.
[attachmentid=11800]

Edit: I did not find the SR1 in local stores, and the recent eBay sellers in the US did not want to ship to Europe. But then I won a lot of used/returned SR1 and M114s from a German seller for dirt cheap ... so I guess I'll be making a few extras. :D

I received a couple of Plantronics SR1:s and M114:s in the mail today. The Plantronics SR1 has the correct boom.

Here is a quick pic of the SR1, the M114 and my Work-In-Progress based on a .Audio 50. Sorry for the bad pic (it is dark over here in Sweden).
SR1_M114_Audio50wip.jpg

The upper boom on the .Audio is longer and thicker than on the other headsets, so you would have to cut and file it to be more correct. The M114's boom is sleeker and shorter, so you would have to instead sculpt onto it to give it more bulk. The detail where the boom meets the middle part is slightly different on all of them. (I am resculpting this detail)
I tested to make the ribbed part with standard ribbon cable, but it was not wide enough with the correct number of ribs. I had counted eight ribs on the original props from both AOTC and ROTS.

The SR1 and M114 have identical middle parts and headbands. The .Audio have a slightly different headband so the part where the headband attaches is slightly different, but I have not found any other differences between the models on this part.

The earcup is also only slightly different on the .Audio 50 from the SR1, but nothing major. The .Audio earcup has holes (hidden) for ventilation and a few ridges for holding on the foam covering better. I found it easiest to remove the ridges with a sharp knife:
cut.jpg

The earcup on the M114 has an identical plastic part as the SR1 but the cover is a faux leather cushion and not foam. However, I don't think it looks too different to the screen-used headset when it is on.

I will also be converting the SR1s and M114s, and I am taking pictures as I go to make a tutorial.

Btw. I am not destroying any electronics on my own headset, because I want to listen to mp3:s while "trooping" as Jedi. B)

Edit:

From studying ROTS screencaps in detail I have come up with the following:
* The ROTS version is not only painted bronze/gold. The boom is clearly resin cast, bent less than the one in AOTC.
I noticed a goof which indicates this: When Obi-Wan is attacked by buzz droids, the tension of his boom slackens and it starts dangling. The boom on a real headset can not move this far, because there are stops in the joint that prevents it to (to avoid tensioning the wire inside).
From here on, he wears either a boom with a tensioned or dangling boom in different shots.
I also noticed Anakin's and Obi-Wans earcups being rotated several degrees between shots, meaning that it is likely that it was also attached differently than on a real headset - a real ear cup can not rotate more than a degree or two.

* The vent holes and tiny knobs on the ear cup are visible, again matching those on the Plantronics SR1.

* The ROTS version has a silver "brick" with rounded edges, where as the edges in AOTC are sharp.

* The forehead/backhead bands are not very evenly cut. The holes have different lengths.

* Width of the brass bands: approx 15 mm.

* Dimensions of the "brick": 19×25 mm (3/4"×1")

* The ribbed section on the boom is 14 mm (just above 1/2") wide. 8 ribs also in ROTS. A standard ribbon cable does not match, because 8 ribs on one are only 10 mm wide.

I revised the measurements for the "brick" with the hinges on.

Call me lazy if you will, but I think I'll outsource building as I want ten of them and I don't have access to a shop. I think that is too much work for just a hacksaw, a dremel and a set of files.
So, I made a blueprint. This is for the AOTC version. The ROTS version is almost the same but with rounded edges.
brick.png

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Lars @ Feb 15 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]1419786[/snapback]</div>
I revised the measurements for the "brick" with the hinges on.

Call me lazy if you will, but I think I'll outsource building as I want ten of them and I don't have access to a shop. I think that is too much work for just a hacksaw, a dremel and a set of files.
So, I made a blueprint. This is for the AOTC version. The ROTS version is almost the same but with rounded edges.
brick.png

[/b]

Will you be making any extras for sale to board members?

Dan
DDStokes@aol.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Anakin Starkiller @ Feb 16 2007, 04:50 AM) [snapback]1419970[/snapback]</div>
Will you be making any extras for sale to board members?[/b]
Jedi costumers in the Rebel Legion in Europe get priority. I don't think it is likely that there would be any left for you, sorry, but I'll put you on the list anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Lars @ Feb 16 2007, 04:54 AM) [snapback]1420021[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Anakin Starkiller @ Feb 16 2007, 04:50 AM) [snapback]1419970[/snapback]
Will you be making any extras for sale to board members?[/b]
Jedi costumers in the Rebel Legion in Europe get priority. I don't think it is likely that there would be any left for you, sorry, but I'll put you on the list anyway.
[/b][/quote]

Darth lars - I'm almost embaressed about mentioning 'accuracy' now seeing the work thats going into this.
If you can pull these off AND we can work these on our 'trooper' coms, we're gonna have some awesome pieces of kit.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers.

Jon

Re: AOTC Jedi Pilot's Headset

It never got to be a project.. Nah well.

I got around to paint the converted headset and here is how it looks. Instead of making the headband out of metal, I am trying styrene.
painted.jpg

threadrevive.jpg

I know it's been ages, and I don't know how long it's been since you even thought about this thing, Darth Lars... I've recently resumed working on mine. Your research and the blueprint you made for the "brick" helped immensely, so I'm coming back to your thread again for this... I'm curious what you used for the top band and for the mount that holds the headset onto the brick. Found parts or scratch-built?

--Jonah

Attachments

• threadrevive.jpg
    threadrevive.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 74
  • threadrevive.jpg
    threadrevive.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 46
  • threadrevive.jpg
    threadrevive.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 58
  • threadrevive.jpg
    threadrevive.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 55
  • threadrevive.jpg
    threadrevive.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:

The top: a gold head/hair band from a cheap jewellery/accessory store.
Mount between headset and brick: scratch-built. Brass bar, brass bracket.

I completed only one - for a girl in Denmark who had the best Anakin costume in the Nordic countries back in 2010 or so... I seem to have lost any picture I have had of it.

I might be over a decade too late to the party, and I couldn't find anything else on this, but can it be so that the headband stems from an old Sennheiser headset? I don't know how far back they got produced. I'm thinking of something like this:
2969578.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back