Black Series Darth Vader reveal helmet coming...? Hasbrocon

Nice mods! I have no choice but to replace my lenses. One of mine got a scratch and got cloudy when I used Novus 1 2 3. Now i know I can't just unscrew them, I may just cut them out. My new better quality smoked ones arrive Saturday. I really like the metal snaps and the expanders. I may st least do the snaps. I had a blast painting mine.

I'll be putting my complete mod work steps on the mod thread when this is further along. But here's an update after waiting a long while for parts to come in. I got the small and large stainless steel dental expanders from China via Ebay (20 pcs) for a total of $50. That's by far the most expensive part of the mods. It kills me to spend $50 on these things for a $100 helmet. But other parts came cheaply so I win and lose some. Working on the back neck piece first, I tried removing the gold paint with paint thinner. It worked okay but the safer bet was to just use a black paint pen. So I ended up doing that to cover up all the gold paint on the original expanders. Then, I was worried about what type of glue to use, putting stainless steel parts on plastic. I started with a basic hot melt glue gun and was very pleased. It works extremely well, quickly dries, and has a certain ability to pry off the the parts and do over if there's a problem. But it holds the parts on really well so I went that route. The result is not as great as a high end replica, but I think having real steel parts instead of painted plastic looks better.

Really nice work with mods. Do you have a numerical size for the dental expanders or a link? There seems to be many different size on eBay

For any Aussies waiting on these to come out, Myer at Chermside, Qld had 1 in stock at $199.95. Zing isn’t due to stock them until July and at the same price, so if you’re chasing one, it’s a good place to look.

Except at the Chermside store.

I bought that one.

Damn! I was planning on adding some red window film to my lenses to give them a bit of a red tint, but I wasn't expecting the lens piece to look like that!!! If it was just a matter of unscrewing things to get it out then I'm happy with that but you say some of the parts are glued? That's a PITA, Which bits are glued out of interest?

For the eye lenses, I ordered some flatter black ones to get more of an ROS look. I thought taking out the original ones would be easy. WRONG! Do not attempt to replace the original lenses unless you would like to completely disassemble this piece. You may end up breaking it. I thought it was held together with a few screws, but there's also a number of glued plastic pieces that will almost break when taking this apart. The eye lenses are all one big plastic piece buried under all the inside face panels. I guess Hasbro did not want these things popping out. Anyhow, I took the whole thing apart and now await the replacement lenses to arrive.View attachment 814535

Rubies Supreme Dome left...Hasbro Standard Dome right:

32581382gf.jpg

Really nice work with mods. Do you have a numerical size for the dental expanders or a link? There seems to be many different size on eBay

The small dental expanders are what they call 6mm size and the larger ones are apparently 11mm or "standard" size. If you were just a millimeter larger or smaller, I don't think it makes much difference. It appears you need about 6 of the small ones and 6 of the large ones. If you want to also do the inside of the mask, there appear to be several more small ones needed in there. I'd get a 10-pack of each size. Ebay has them but they ship from China. Not cheap. You could also get 3D printed ones but then that's adding plastic pieces vs. actual metal pieces. The 3D print ones I've seen cost almost as much as the real ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252603573864

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362152388464

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly the Rubies dome is an improvement. It makes the whole thing look larger. Thanks for the very nice pictures!

- - - Updated - - -

Inside the mask, it is the side panels that are glued in. Taking the screws out alone will not remove the side panels. One has to get in with a tool and break the glue, which was very tough on my mask. Then the center panel comes out, then lastly the eye lenses come out as one large "goggle". They are not individual lenses. :cry

6 small dental expanders from ebay, 6mm, : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

6 large dental expanders from ebay, 11mm: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Kit-Pro...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 pair ROS tusks from Vaderpainter on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 pair ROS black flat lenses on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darth-Vade...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

small black suction cups - I will use a pair of these on the inside of the mask at the temples, along with some wire, from Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-Smal...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

a bag of old hard drive heads and parts for the inside of the mask, Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-26-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Apoxi Putty, color black, from Amazon

Various nickle plated snaps from the local fabric store

...those are the majority of items I purchased for the modding with the most expensive being those darn little dental expanders.

After seeing this photo im not so sure a more accurate dome is a fix all solution. The larger dome just makes the problem of the short neck a bigger problem. It looks short stubby with a fat large face above it.

Here is the BS helmet with the Rubies dome, but a longer neck photoshopped on for more comparison. Perhaps some of the talented folks here could sculpt/apoxy/3D print a longer neck for the BS vader

Extended neck.jpg

After seeing this photo im not so sure a more accurate dome is a fix all solution. The larger dome just makes the problem of the short neck a bigger problem. It looks short stubby with a fat large face above it.

I know what you mean.:unsure

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the BS helmet with the Rubies dome, but a longer neck photoshopped on for more comparison. Perhaps some of the talented folks here could sculpt/apoxy/3D print a longer neck for the BS vader

View attachment 814702

Yes the longer neck makes a big improvement.

View attachment 814702

Now if the helmet looked like that or close to it I would be all over it. People think Im harsh on it because it not the standards of a lineage helmet. No, that is far off and a dumb thing to assume. I just think their final out come is butt ugly and with a couple MINOR changes I would buy it.

Now if the helmet looked like that or close to it I would be all over it. People think Im harsh on it because it not the standards of a lineage helmet. No, that is far off and a dumb thing to assume. I just think their final out come is butt ugly and with a couple MINOR changes I would buy it.

But again you also seem to be missing the point that this is made for mass consumption and in order to keep the price point to where it's at, trade offs do have to be made.

Longer neck = more material, bigger dome = more material. Both = more weight, greater dimensions = higher packaging and shipping costs.

And yet again, 99.995% of the populous who this helmet it targeted to won't know the difference or, let's face it, care.

As far as I can tell... it's currently sold out on Amazon and at Walmart online...

I think to hide the big magnets a sticker would be nice.With the glossy black area it would look thinner on the first look.

32591936dv.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back