Help with painting metallic gold over silver on resin?

BlueSaber

So I'm practicing resin casting with a Star Trek TNG commbadge. I'm in the experiment phase right now and trying a lot of different things/combinations. But what I'm stuck with is when I spray metallic gold over an aluminum/silver coat. It just seems to roll off the way water rolls off hydrophobic coatings. Any tips? Do I have to wait a lot longer for the silver coat to dry? Spray the silver coat with black primer? Sand it?

The silver paints are sticking just fine to the resin. Not sure - maybe the gold will stick to the resin too. So would it be a problem with the gold over the silver?

Last edited:
Tried spraying one that had dried overnight and also got soaked in soapy water to get rid of oils. Did the same thing. How did they do it on the show?

It sounds like you are mixing two different kinds of paint. Can you describe the brands and colors you have tried? In addition, a primer is always recommended before any color coats when working with resin.

Hmm, I'm at a loss then. I've never seen Krylon do that with itself. What are the specific part numbers on the paint?

Are you maybe applying it in too heavy of a coat? Try doing two to three light coats. Your first coat will not achieve full coverage, and keep the can nozzle at least 8-12 inches back from the piece. If that doesn't work, please post some photos of how the gold looks when it beads up and maybe that will help us diagnose the issue.

Hmm, I'm at a loss then. I've never seen Krylon do that with itself. What are the specific part numbers on the paint?

Are you maybe applying it in too heavy of a coat? Try doing two to three light coats. Your first coat will not achieve full coverage, and keep the can nozzle at least 8-12 inches back from the piece. If that doesn't work, please post some photos of how the gold looks when it beads up and maybe that will help us diagnose the issue.

I feel like it's entirely possible it's an issue with my technique. Maybe weather or oil on from my hands or something? It seems like the first layer is going on well regardless of color but it's the second coat that has issues. I'm going to experiment today with different situations. I washed 8 or so resin pieces and let them dry overnight too.

Should I be applying primer OVER the silver layer?

Also funnily - the bright gold is 1701. The Dull Aluminum is 1403 if memory serves.

Just a thought but have you considered cold casting it with brass powder then buffing it to a shine? It would eliminate the need for painting and give you a metallic finish that wont scratch off.

Just a thought but have you considered cold casting it with brass powder then buffing it to a shine? It would eliminate the need for painting and give you a metallic finish that wont scratch off.

Not exactly sure what that it is but since I’m in this to learn how to make props I’ll definitely research it! Trying to do this particular item the same way they did for authenticity

Not exactly sure what that it is but since I’m in this to learn how to make props I’ll definitely research it! Trying to do this particular item the same way they did for authenticity

Its another way to get a metallic finish on your castings. It pretty much involves dusting the mold down with the metallic powder, then mixing an equal amount of metal powder into the resin then buffing with steel wool when the casting is cured. Check out Smooth-On or any other video on cold casting. You'll find its not that difficult a process. But there is something to be said for trying to do it the same way the prop makers did it.

Collektor is speaking of the casting technique called "cold cast"

Not sure how your badge replica is, but I'm assuming it's a single piece? If your prop was a 2 piece (brass/gold oval backing and the silver emblem separate), it'd make things easier for you to do cold casting, as you will really have to choose one color or the other with a single piece badge cast.

D61093D3-0084-4259-AB11-06FCF92F5C8C.jpgD61093D3-0084-4259-AB11-06FCF92F5C8C.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back