Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade

Any updates on this?

Tell you what, I have a vintage Heiland Synchronar flash handle around here somewhere.
I'm going to test my theory by getting myself an old golf driver off ebay and make a 'Vader duelling stunt' with it.

EDIT: Just searched for 'replacement golf shaft" on ebay and got a Forgan (world's oldest manufacturer of golf clubs apparently) 46 inch carbon shaft, brand new, for £12 with free postage. I thought it would have been steel back in the 70's when the movies were made but I have checked the history and carbon shafts were introduced in 1973.

Looks like I'm going to have some swishy-swooshy fun out in the garden with this. Like Ewan McGreggor I will make my own saber sounds... vrrrmmmmmmmm... vrrrmmmmmmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any updates on this?

Patience leeloo88, I only ordered my golf-club shaft on Tuesday.
Well it arrived this morning and it's amazing. It weighs almost nothing (under two ounces according to the spec sheet) and when you tap the end on the ground it 'rings' like metal. It's super stiff with almost no flex. As you can see from the pictures below I'm gluing a piece of threaded rod inside the thick end so I can then simply add some captive nuts to the saber handle and screw the new 'dueling blade' into it. Then if the blade breaks it can be unscrewed and a new one inserted which I exactly what I think they did back in the day. The easiest and cheapest way is usually the way things are done in movie-making, if it looks OK on screen.

2017-06-23 10.47.21.jpg2017-06-23 10.47.29.jpg2017-06-23 10.47.51.jpg2017-06-23 10.49.36.jpg2017-06-23 10.49.57.jpg

2017-06-23 10.47.21.jpg

2017-06-23 10.47.29.jpg

2017-06-23 10.47.51.jpg

2017-06-23 10.49.36.jpg

2017-06-23 10.49.57.jpg

Patience leeloo88, I only ordered my golf-club shaft on Tuesday.
Well it arrived this morning and it's amazing. It weighs almost nothing (under two ounces according to the spec sheet) and when you tap the end on the ground it 'rings' like metal. It's super stiff with almost no flex. As you can see from the pictures below I'm gluing a piece of threaded rod inside the thick end so I can then simply add some captive nuts to the saber handle and screw the new 'dueling blade' into it. Then if the blade breaks it can be unscrewed and a new one inserted which I exactly what I think they did back in the day. The easiest and cheapest way is usually the way things are done in movie-making, if it looks OK on screen.

View attachment 738238View attachment 738239View attachment 738240View attachment 738241View attachment 738242

that looks awesome! :thumbsup

Blimey you people are impatient! I usually do proppy stuff just on weekends so my builds tend to take months rather than days guys. Rest assured I will post when there's something to add. D.

EDIT: OK, for all the impatient people, I did a bit more this morning while I waited in for a delivery.

These old flash handles all have the same cup-fitting in the end which holds a plastic insert/contact for the flashbulb. When you unscrew the bulb-release button all this drops out the front so you simply discard the plastic centre and you are left with an anodised steel cup with a half-inch hole in it's base. I previously epoxied a length of M10 threaded rod inside my carbon blade and the exposed end of this was fed through the hole in the base of the cup and I put some nuts on the back to hold it tight. Washers on both sides, of course, to ease it back off and keep from damaging the cup. Then the cup is simply re-inserted into the end of the handle, the external bulb-release button screw holds the cup in place and the shroud slips over that. Sorted!

Just like they would have back in the day - simple hardware strore components and the original flash body to produce a simple duelling practice / stunt set-up. Reflective tape will be added to the blade on this one at some point as well as T-track and a replica clamp. Enjoy;

2-Blade (7).jpg2-Blade (8).jpg2-Blade (10).jpg

2-Blade (11).jpg2-Blade (14).jpg2-Blade (13).jpg

2-Blade (7).jpg

2-Blade (8).jpg

2-Blade (10).jpg

2-Blade (11).jpg

2-Blade (14).jpg

2-Blade (13).jpg

Hey @userd1402 ! What's the business end look like? Hollow? Or solid? Did you pick up any reflective tape for it yet?

The whole shaft is hollow, from 18mm thick end to 7mm thin end.
I've been thinking about this and I'm not going to slavishly do what they did back in the '70's just because it's accurate.
I'm going to lightly sand my blade and colour it with highly reflective modern PAINT, the kind used to make stuff glow in your headlights at night.

Anyway, since I was just trying to prove a point about how straight-forward it is to use these components I think job done. We now return you to your usual programming...

Blimey you people are impatient! I usually do proppy stuff just on weekends so my builds tend to take months rather than days guys. Rest assured I will post when there's something to add. D.

EDIT: OK, for all the impatient people, I did a bit more this morning while I waited in for a delivery.

These old flash handles all have the same cup-fitting in the end which holds a plastic insert/contact for the flashbulb. When you unscrew the bulb-release button all this drops out the front so you simply discard the plastic centre and you are left with an anodised steel cup with a half-inch hole in it's base. I previously epoxied a length of M10 threaded rod inside my carbon blade and the exposed end of this was fed through the hole in the base of the cup and I put some nuts on the back to hold it tight. Washers on both sides, of course, to ease it back off and keep from damaging the cup. Then the cup is simply re-inserted into the end of the handle, the external bulb-release button screw holds the cup in place and the shroud slips over that. Sorted!

Just like they would have back in the day - simple hardware strore components and the original flash body to produce a simple duelling practice / stunt set-up. Reflective tape will be added to the blade on this one at some point as well as T-track and a replica clamp. Enjoy;

View attachment 741728View attachment 741729View attachment 741730

View attachment 741731View attachment 741732View attachment 741737

That is freak'n awesome!!! Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the talk on tank antennae - is this the infamous Rancho Obi Wan lightsaber? with the supposed tank antenna?
ranchoobiwan.jpg

Oh no another legit Vader saber? COME ON

I don't think it is. Either this is a copy, or Steve's saber doesn't actually have an MPP clamp or anything. I think all I recognize is the resin greeblie beneath the emitter, and that showed up a LOT

But that wouldn’t be rigged to duel would it?
I wouldn't think so. It doesn't have any allen bolts, no clamp, etc. so this tank antenna thing he says is questionable to me. it does match the white ish color we see bts but thats all..

Well, it looks to be based off the ANH Vader Stunt/Barbican but a lot of the details are a bit...off. I don't know the origin of this but if it were a real deal thing, I'd think it'd be a lot more banged up if it was used. Maybe this was an unused back-up?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back