Generic ROGUE ONE Rebel Trooper - Find/Modify/Build Thread

Decided to re-mod my Thompson mag pouch charges, figured this one is on a broad range of troopers so I'd post over here first.

a little closer in look and less weight too. Here's where I started:

2 cans of hairspray for the tops, kept the pvc, a couple magnets, four 1/2" washers(two each) and a couple pieces of cut marker, then finally a screw on top.
View attachment 727322

Some black paint/rub-n-buff/steel wool, and heres the final product next to a screen grab:
View attachment 727336

A little closer in look and again, less weight to carry. All for $6 :thumbsup

Looks good! The top of the hairspray bottle was a great fit. It has to weight a LOT less than the cast metal bits before.

Long time, no post! So here is the update.

I have been working on the mold for the scope. It has been interesting...... My mold came out fine. My first pour, not so much. I had misaligned the mold and there was a leak. As in, ALL the resin leaked out!!!! It also left a weird, half cured resin residue inside the mold. I cleaned up all the resin, fixed the mold and then poured another slush cast of cheap resin to clean out the residue. It worked and the mold was finally ready for a real cast.

View attachment 725009

Sorry no pictures of the spilled resin mess, I was way too busy trying to keep it for going everywhere to grab my phone.

So here is my first real cast, straight out of the mold!

View attachment 725008

Also a few shots of it paired up with the blaster.

View attachment 725006View attachment 725007

Now to clean it all up and finish the painting!

Great work on the scope! Will you be doing a run of these?

Cool! I suspected there would be some. I just had not seen any. Did you snag any photos?

In other news, I am declaring the helmet (mostly) done! I might do a bit more weathering and some silver dry brush but the main construction and paint is done. If I get really bored I might try one of the unit stencils later but I have not decided which one I like best.

View attachment 723500View attachment 723501View attachment 723502

I cheated on the "Death Sticks" and used adjustable shelf pins. They are a nice chrome metal and are maybe just a tad short but a package of them was only $2.99 at the hardware store so that is a win!

View attachment 723499
I love how you did the fabric weathering. Any hints on how you made it so relasistic? My topper s still super clean.

I love how you did the fabric weathering. Any hints on how you made it so relasistic? My topper s still super clean.

Thanks! I used a small brush and Model Masters Black Detail Wash. I used the "dry-brushing" technique of wiping off 90% of the paint before lightly brushing into the seams and edges. It takes some time, but by building up layers slowly, it has a more natural effect.

Just finished modifying my 60's vintage goggles with Scariff Rebel accurate leather attachment tabs and mil-spec coyote brown elastic. I also modded my Mr. Hemmings Workshop hat with more accurate leather chin strap leather and mil-spec blackened snaps and buckle. IMG_4966.JPGIMG_4964.JPGIMG_4965.JPG

Man, those look good! The leather detail on the googles looks perfect. Mind if I ask where you get the goggle strap from?

I just received my old sport/ski/motor goggles the other day. They're pretty close but not 100%

Any plans to weather the hat? My Mr. Hemmings is so nice, it's hard to bring myself to beat it.

Thanks man, glad you like it. I used 1" wide military issue coyote brown elastic for the strap. I bought a yard on Ebay for a few bucks. I made the leather tabs from scratch.
I can't bring myself to weather the hat! $175 and I already re-did the chin strap. I think I'll just let it age naturally.

I hear you on the the hat weathering, TheMechanic hahah!

I took and old sanding sponge to mine for about 5 seconds. I was cringing the entire time before I stopped lol. Just couldn't do it.
as for the strap (completely missed your post) I found some braided elastic I'm my junk box which I airbrushed to color and weathered. Save me some $ and looks good and worn-in after sanding down.

Also, has anyone identified the what goes in the boot gaiters' pouches? Been looking for somthing a bit more accurate with a 1" OD

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you on the the hat weathering, @TheMechanic hahah!

Also, has anyone identified the what goes in the boot gaiters' pouches? Been looking for somthing a bit more accurate with a 1" OD

Weathering!!! Do it!! The only good Rebel is a DIRTY Rebel! Ha, Ha!!!

I don't know if I have ever seen a really good image of the boot greeblies. Battlefront has them looking like a rounded mushroom top with a bit sticking out the bottom. In most scenes they are moving or too dark. I need to scour the screen grab sites for more info. on them. Did they every have that boot style on one of the costume displays? I mostly see Cassians boot or Baze or Jyn.

Weathering!!! Do it!! The only good Rebel is a DIRTY Rebel! Ha, Ha!!!

I don't know if I have ever seen a really good image of the boot greeblies. Battlefront has them looking like a rounded mushroom top with a bit sticking out the bottom. In most scenes they are moving or too dark. I need to scour the screen grab sites for more info. on them. Did they every have that boot style on one of the costume displays? I mostly see Cassians boot or Baze or Jyn.

Yea that's all I ever see too. I may use like something like whats in Hans jacket in TFA or the Poes boot flares in TFA.

im going to do the same and start searching the screen caps.

Hahah, and after I wrote that my last post about not weathering my hat, I looked at it and got to weathering! Just some here and there with the Tamiya weathering kits.

IMG_4967.JPGIMG_4968.JPG

Just a a little bit but I think I want to do more

Last edited:
Best images I have of what's in the boots
IMG_4346.JPGAnd not even that great of detail

Attachments

• IMG_4337.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 242
Ant idea how they got those belt buckles to work on a British PLCE belt?

I made are one from a buckle from Tandy Leather and some metal hole plugs from the hardware store; total cost was about $4

Just took off the PLCE buckles and attached mine. Rather simple. Check out my thread for some pics

IMG_5045.JPG

I do do plan to cut the right side of the belt (nylon folded stitch) so that it's even with the left side

As much as I need. The belt is complete, I just wrapped it around the buckles inside bar, and then it works as normal belt would.

IMG_5046.JPGIMG_5047.JPG

While wearing, the buckle lays pretty flat and flush with the rest of the belt

I did read on the Rebel Legion forum that someone was doing a run of the buckles that looked much more accurate but I could never track down the thread or member

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back