The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - FINISHED

Hey, mate love the work. I'm hoping to make a real to scale steel version of this armour, the armour shown in the films was awesome. But the link you shared back in 2013 doesn't seem to work. Could you maybe make the file public again, or could you email it to me. If you want I can keep you in the loop of it once I get round to it. I'm in the middle of building some props for a small B-class Zelda film. Great job mate

Hey, mate love the work. I'm hoping to make a real to scale steel version of this armour, the armour shown in the films was awesome. But the link you shared back in 2013 doesn't seem to work. Could you maybe make the file public again, or could you email it to me. If you want I can keep you in the loop of it once I get round to it. I'm in the middle of building some props for a small B-class Zelda film. Great job mate

Thanks! That sounds awesome! I'd looove a metal version of the helm. Unfortunately my pep file won't do you any good really. It was super quick and sloppy and only helped me block out the scale of the final piece. I ended up eyeballing the whole thing.

So no news on my armour. I went and saw TBOFA and loved it of course, but they didn't have a proper midnight release so the hassle of cosplaying wasn't worth it if I didn't know there would be others there in costume.

I did however fall in love with Dain Ironfoot, Billy Connoly is fantastic and the design and execution of the character (even though/especially because, he was mostly, if not entirely, a 3D generated character) are perfect and I can't stop myself from making something from this guy.

Right now I'm just planning on the helmet, I don't have the time, energy or space in my apartment for an entire new suit, but I do have some space for another helmet. This baby has some fantastic details in it that I want to be sure I recreate as best I can (I flubbed my way through the previous one) Weta released an awesome teaser video for their behind the scenes work on the movie, so I grabbed some screenshots of an early 3D model, a fantastic physical master model and I think an Iron Dwarf helm which is the base of his more elaborate one. I figure Weta will release some more featurettes leading up to the Bluray release, which I'll then be able to grab lots of shots from the film and extras.

This is another long term project, would be nice if I could get it done for Fan Expo Vancouver in April, but I doubt it.

Dain.jpg

DainHelm1.jpg
DainHelm2.jpg

DainHelm3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mate, I guess I don't really need the file, I can just scan this post and see the individual parts and work from that, just found a steel cap to start the whole thing off with, there's gonna be plenty of welding and engraving on this, once I get round to it. I'll keep you in the loop and definitely say a massive thanks once I'm done

Dain! Possibly the best part of the movie, lol. I kind of want to cosplay him but OMG it will be so much work! Great reference images though, thanks. I will definitely be saving those for the future.

Heh well I'm not sure. I've never made one as a commission before so I'm not sure about the time it would take. But I think maybe $500 would be a safe bet for a full custom hand made and painted piece.

For not to much more, though, I could get a metal Gimli's helmet off of ebay or somewhere else (I've looked) So would you drop the price to maybe $400?

For not to much more, though, I could get a metal Gimli's helmet off of ebay or somewhere else (I've looked) So would you drop the price to maybe $400?

As of right now I don't really have the time to put towards a collation, and really I'd end up charging based on the time it took, $500 was an estimate.

I think its better that you pay for the Gimli helmet, because then you get a cheaper mass produced product and not a Handmade, One Of A Kind item that takes time to make, and that might even have better and accurate details than the Ebay helmet.

GOOD-FAST-CHEAP.jpg

Hi, i'm going to make this armor for myself, and i wondered where you bought the foam? especially the the stuff you have used for the detailing.

I got my big sheets at home depot and Canadian tire for around $10 per pack of 4 sheets. The thin foam is from Michael's, which is a craft store with a great selection UT terrible prices, but you can usualy find big sheets of it for like 25¢

I've been on break from the costume since I finished (90%) of the Helmet and forgot to get back to this and post it. I hope one day to also have Scott Kurtz wear my helmet or one of the Dwarves from The Hobbit. Helm2737.JPGHelm2740.JPG

Zace that's awesome! I love your details by the brim of the helmet, did you air brush those with a stencil? I ended up giving up on them because I couldn't get the detail small enough with foam and dint have an air brush or laser cutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom was stencil because all those individually would be insane. The top was vinyl I cut, glued and then plasti-dip on top of I like that much better due to the raised look of it. The front brim is same as yours with foam pieces but soon I hope to add the weave patter on the back of the brim like the top. I have a set of clothes for the dwarf costume which takes sooooooooo much sewing so now I am working on the armor. I will have pics with my profile.

I finally got around to the back trim weave and the mask. With only doing this when I don't have any school to study for this is turning into a long hobby. But working on putting a fan in the helm, with the beard, hair and full coverage it gets REALLY hot. I have a problem doing the small weave that us suppose to be along the sides of the mo-hawk part and the bottom brim I had to do with stencil. Cutting something that looks as clean as the bigger weave patterns is just not practical and I can not think of an easy way to do it. The weave patterns on the hat brim and very top are vinyl cut outs so I can get the texture look I want.

Thank you Gibbtall for sharing your project and helping guide and motivate me to get my own going.

back print 2.jpgback print.jpgIMG_2768.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back