“Who plays board games?” Jumanji Video Game Cartridge

The14thDr

Sr Member
I went to see the new Jumanji today and it was nothing short of brilliant. One prop that really stood out to me was the cartridge for the Jumanji video game. With so many people replicating the board from the original movie, I thought this would make a refreshing change.

Unfortunately, the trailers (currently the only source of footage/images from the film) don’t show much of the cartridge, so these are the only screencaps I could get - and as you can see they don’t give the best views of the prop.
435a6316c6b49594e0c7531713351a9a.jpg

719a6de27e8c8bc53458cc28b5a4e4db.jpg

80c1be4f6b7d41797631cd9edce04300.jpg

Here are a few shots of the prop I got. From Nick Jonas' Instagram and from the Trailer.
jumanji2.jpgJUAMNJI 3.pngJUMANJI 1 (2).pngJUMANJI 2 (2).png

And here are some mockups I had done in Sketchup before seeing that there was no top label. I had put the JUMANJI text on top assuming that it would be there. Just need to modify it sometime soon, and make it thinner.

Jumanji Cart 4.pngJumanji Cart 5.pngJumanji Cart 6.png

Those images are brilliant; thank you for posting them!

Your SketchUp render looks great as well - now that we have more images available I’m thinking of creating a model and having this 3D printed.

Here’s where I’m at with the cartridge so far. There are still a couple of extra details that need to be added, then I can start adjusting the model to make it easier for 3D printing.
46f3d8f13156c0a0e7fb56fa05ed6f88.jpg

I made a few finishing touches to the model this morning.

Front:
1823ec0776c71bad451a894ec3d3a2be.jpg

Back:
761f3971de8e8d1ece8c7cb509d6f724.jpg

I also split the model in two horizontally to (hopefully) make it easier to print.
1d2a913d22695c89b1cb74c289563a85.jpg

Very nice! Would be a cool to add a false chip inside, to make it more authentic.
That’s a great idea! Although the chip would probably have to be a separate part that you glue into place afterwards. Otherwise it could introduce more problems whilst 3D printing if I try to make it all as one piece.
From the first image you posted, the chip just looks like a plain white rectangle inside the cartridge. Unless there are some other details that I’m missing, I can easily add this to the model tomorrow.

Going to be a nice piece on my movie shelf!
And on mine too! :D I can’t wait to get this printed so I can see how it looks/feels in real life.

Thanks to a suggestion from JumanjiFan112, today I modelled a simple chip for the inside of the game cartridge.
5e082d835e488696f178f49c6f8828a4.jpg

As I mentioned before, this is a separate piece that can (hopefully) just be slotted into place - with maybe a little glue.
d9a56d66be7a474db4086d5cee2ab7e8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to see this film with no expectation whatsoever. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

But the original jumanji board game wasn’t a great replica, and the new console wasn’t really worthy.

i think personally I would have preferred a much darker reboot.

But the original jumanji board game wasn’t a great replica,

Yeah my brother tries to argue the fact that because they used a replica in the new movie, it makes the replica canon, and I said "Hell no it doesnt"

The replica was a bad choice on the prop department. They paid no attention to detail, as the front plate has an enormous mold crease down the middle, Van Pelt looks all wonky, and the instructions inside are flipped in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
The hinges were wrong the wrong way around and the border carvings on the insides weren’t right either.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for double posting but why was Tom Hanks son in it? He looked nothing like the kid and was just a little weird.

that said it was a fun movie. I expected it to be terrible.

The hinges were wrong the wrong way around and the border carvings on the insides weren’t right either.

Yeah, it proved my point that they bought a markpoon board, replaced the front plate with their own, and tried to sell it as the real thing. But us true fans can always spot a fake :D

I would really like to know, though, where in the hell during the process did Van Pelt become so muffed up on the front? Like, really. Everything else on the front is damn near perfect but he looks like he gained 60 lbs and put his hat on backwards.

I'd love the files!
No worries! I’m a little reluctant to make the files public as I’ve had trouble in the past with people stealing my work and trying to sell it as their own.

If you PM me with your email address, however, I’ll be more than happy to send you the files (the same goes for anyone else who is interested.)

Saw the film today and loved it.

I'd like to help you out, but you seem to have things well in hand.

That being said, I went through some 4K trailers on YouTube and grabbed a screencap of the cartridge that seems to show some screws on the back side.

-MJ

Attachments

• 1a.png
    1a.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 354
That’s awesome, thank you for posting that @mike J! (And lucky too, I was going to send this off to be printed tomorrow - but now I see a couple of adjustments I need to make to the model.)

I count 4 screws in total - two on either side of the recess and one above the other. Does anyone else see this?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back