Luke's ROTJ Lightsaber

Peagis

So I want to build myself a ROTJ Luke Skywalker lightsaber and I was looking for help as I've never built a lightsaber before, and I really don't know where to start. I've looked at the MR lightsabers and while really nice I want to build it so that the blade will detach and be able to dual with it.

check out The Custom Saber Shop and fx-sabers.com there you shall find everything you need. You can build a decent looking Luke ROTJ using a few MHS parts and and one of their control boxes. Drop me a line if you need anything else.

That's what I need, thanks! Now I gotta figure out what parts will make a Luke ROTJ. I'm assuming that I can build it hollow and then add the electronics and blade later right?

There was a guy here years ago (I believe it was playschool200) who make a ROTJ saber out of found parts. The saber pretty damn accurate. don't know if he posted a WIP thread but it might worth a search.

A ROTJ will not be the easiest sabre for battle,because of the narrow section near emitter.
As a biginner you can build a Luke ANH or ESB,the parts are easier to find and to use,beacause it's a flahgun with lots of space inside for electronics.
You can find a blade adaptator at thecustomsabershop,then you just have to put blade,grips,bubble strip,and electronics inside.
For me,the most difficult lightsabers will be luke ROTJ,and Obi Wan EpIII and EPIV,both because of narrow section.

Hey, thanks for the shout out! I did make a scratch-built Luke ROTJ a few years back out of stuff from the hardware store as a sort of exercise. But it was the shared stunt version, not the hero. There was another guy who did a hardware version of the Luke ROTJ hero and I can't recall his board name, but it was pretty awesome.

My Luke was made from washers and aluminum pipe mostly. It would be highly impractical for dueling. You can see it in this photo along with a couple of my other scratch-built sabers. These are 90% aluminum pipe, washers, and PVC. I have no machining abilities, so everything was hand cut and polished using a dremel, hacksaw, and needle files. I look at these things now and marvel at the patience I had back then. I could never do something like that now. The fin on the Dooku was hand cut from 1/4" aluminum sheeting.

32_sabers.jpg

Holy crap, Mr. Nagata, any more specifics on exactly how you scratch built those? Especially your Luke ROTJ and Obi Wan Models above? I've tried and can't seem to find parts even close...

Hey, thanks for the shout out! I did make a scratch-built Luke ROTJ a few years back out of stuff from the hardware store as a sort of exercise. But it was the shared stunt version, not the hero. There was another guy who did a hardware version of the Luke ROTJ hero and I can't recall his board name, but it was pretty awesome.

My Luke was made from washers and aluminum pipe mostly. It would be highly impractical for dueling. You can see it in this photo along with a couple of my other scratch-built sabers. These are 90% aluminum pipe, washers, and PVC. I have no machining abilities, so everything was hand cut and polished using a dremel, hacksaw, and needle files. I look at these things now and marvel at the patience I had back then. I could never do something like that now. The fin on the Dooku was hand cut from 1/4" aluminum sheeting.

http://www.ryannagata.com/files/gimgs/32_sabers.jpg

hello there so i know im late to this thread but could you share how you made that grenade section. Im trying a hardware luke ROTJ saber and that is the one part that is giving me trouble. Thanks!

That looks great! A really nice build. Do you have any information on how you built it (in particular the neck/emitter)?
The neck was made out of 1/2 inch PVC, or you could use a 3/4 inch metal rod or wooden dowel. I would heavily recommend using a 3/4 inch wood dowel or metal rod. Because the 1/2 pvc required a lot of sanding to get it down the right diameter
For the emitter I used (Arranged from smallest piece to largest) 3/4 inch copper coupler, 1 inch PVC, 1 inch PVC coupler, and a steel washer that's 2 inches in diameter.
1) I cut a 1 inch long piece of the 1-inch PVC pipe
2) then cut a 3/8 inch long piece of the 1 inch coupler and slid it over the piece cut in the previous step and glued them together
3) I glued the 2 inch washer on top of the piece glued in the previous step
4) glued the 3/4 inch copper coupler in the bottom of the emitter

It assembled pretty easily and looks pretty good
8603d5ca3212d29ddc4c47214ef478ae.jpg
1c328269cc2c323976e85be989760678.jpg

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

I made a hardware ver 2 back in 06. I with I just bought the pommel and clamp at this point since I think it would look a bit better with them. But the whole thing is made from various washers and metal parts on a threaded rod.
IMG_0002.JPG
5DPjX9l.jpg

Thanks guys, the amount of steel in this actually makes it the heaviest saber I have held before. I only really made it out of the challenge, someone I think on Dewback Wing was stating that a hardware Luke ROTJ saber cannot be made, since there are no sinktubes involved. And that an attempt would be wildly inaccurate or a fragile sculpture. This one was not really one of my favorites but I wanted to make the attempt to make a hardware version just because apparently it cannot be done.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back