Solo: A Star Wars Story

To be determined, to be fair.
I know I'll be doing my best to go in with an open mind - as I hope all of us will.

It will be difficult to not let the idea that many of us feel he was the wrong actor for the gig not prejudice what we'll be seeing on the big screen come the 41st anniversary of the original Star Wars release. I don't have a lot of hope for this - but, I will cross my fingers and have a faint glimmer of hope in this cold, dark heart of mine.

I know I'll be doing my best to go in with an open mind - as I hope all of us will.

It will be difficult to not let the idea that many of us feel he was the wrong actor for the gig not prejudice what we'll be seeing on the big screen come the 41st anniversary of the original Star Wars release. I don't have a lot of hope for this - but, I will cross my fingers and have a faint glimmer of hope in this cold, dark heart of mine.
Agreed. I always knew that no matter who they picked for the role, I would be dissatisfied. Harrison Ford is an idol to me, and seeing as we're both from the Chicago area, a hometown hero to boot! I grew up on Harrison Ford movies like SW and Indiana Jones, so I always knew that anybody they picked to fill those Lake Michigan sized shoes would have to work extra hard to win me over.

Now, I also like Ron Howard. I've seen most of his movies and have liked them all, and knowing that he's effectively made this movie 80% his own has let me dissuade some of me fears. The plus is that Howard and Ford have known each other for a long time, so if there's anybody I trust to direct a Han Solo movie it's Ron Howard. However, this movie has had very Kathleen Kennedy-esque problems from the beginning, which reminds me of the fiasco she turned Jurassic Park /// into. It was without a doubt one of the most disappointing movies of my childhood, and I place a lot of blame in Kennedy for letting the Joe Johnston proceed with shooting after he threw out the script 5 weeks before production.

I'm willing to give the movie a chance, but it has a very big hill of stigma for me to get over. I also have zero current anticipation for it, which is the first for a SW movie for me. I'm hoping a trailer will put more fire into my heart. All I know is since I'm not truly sure what to think of this movie, that I hope I'll be willing to go into it with an open mind.

If a trailer is launched I don’t even think I’m going to watch it, try to go into this film 100% blind
That's just how the guy who directed TLJ did it he must never have watched Star Wars to turn out that rubbish.
I fear that this is just going to be the same, Disney being lazy and making money out of what will soon become sadly old rope.

That's just how the guy who directed TLJ did it he must never have watched Star Wars to turn out that rubbish.
I fear that this is just going to be the same, Disney being lazy and making money out of what will soon become sadly old rope.
I can't disagree more. I've seen it three times now and I can't wait to see TLJ again (and again)... I'm fortunate enough to have seen Star Wars back in May 1977 (twice) and every Star Wars film since then (all on opening day since at least RotJ - thanks Mom & Dad for letting me skip school to see it).

If Disney was being lazy they would not have made some of the difficult decisions they have. It would be easy to market some of the older characters rather than do what they've done with them. I give LFL and Disney lots of credit for giving Rian creative freedom, even if I might not have agreed with every move.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the TLJ thread but bears repeating. I walk into any SW film with only one expectation, to have fun. In the case of this film I’m not interested in how well AE can mimick Harrison Ford, I’m looking forward to seeing a story about a character named Han Solo. If AE can capture the qualities of the character I don’t give a toss how tall he is. And if the story is interesting and exciting then my fun requirement is likely to be met. To me being a “fan” of something means you love it warts and all. I’m not interested in hate watching SW.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Ehrenreich is the best choice for this role, I AM saying Inbooger would have made this movie a laughing stock.

Oh yeah?!?! Well keep checking back to this thread, because in a day or two I'll have a witty a blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!

I swear every time I think I’m done with you, you pull me back in. I’m like a The Wook masochist. Happy New Year, mate. Here’s to another year of infuriating each other. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My feeling about the Solo movie aren't bad. Actually I kinda liked Rogue One. Sure it had a lot of flaws, but the style, the overall execution and different aproaches on the rebellion worked for me.

I don't think it can be worse than TLJ. Besides the unbelievable bad script, the poor directing TLJ wanted me to feel bad for eating meat and having a penis. I like strong leads, regardless of Gender, but after RO and the first two parts of the ST, especially TLJ I'm looking forward to a way less political movie in a galaxy so far away our earthly problems should not matter with an actor who get's the part of a young Han Solo done. There's a nice origin behind with his early career and how he met Chewie. So I hope they don't mess up the script, because there's enough material for a good story.

I swear every time I think I’m done with you, you pull me back in. I’m like a @The Wook masochist. Happy New Year, mate. Here’s to another year of infuriating each other. :)

thealternativefactorhd807.jpg

:cheers

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back