Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Colour me ‘ Stupidly Stuck ‘ behind rose coloured glasses , but in my aged head Star Wars isn’t Star Wars without GL , even if he had been relegated to a minor role of ‘ consultant ‘ on future projects after selling his hard won franchise . I’m wishing he hadn’t .

Without Disney Star Wars as a film franchise was dead. George had no plans for new films. He created the treatments for the sequel trilogy to entice Disney to buy. Disney has delivered two films that I think are terrific and my 4 year old son is now a new fan growing up with them. I was there in theaters in ‘77 and I am very thankful Disney saved this franchise from the long road to obscurity it was on.

Without Disney Star Wars as a film franchise was dead. George had no plans for new films. He created the treatments for the sequel trilogy to entice Disney to buy. Disney has delivered two films that I think are terrific and my 4 year old son is now a new fan growing up with them. I was there in theaters in ‘77 and I am very thankful Disney saved this franchise from the long road to obscurity it was on.

+1

At least SW is back in discussion, thanks to Disney

Whats funny is, my kids are older now.. Grew up on the OT and the pre.

My younger nieces and nephews, too young to grasp the OT...intruduced to SW by the TFA and they like it, however...... Their costumes are Vadar, Yoda and Obi wan... even a Windu in there....lol

Really enjoyed it.... but a few things got me but nothing to spoil it.

Fyn was better in this than TFA for me but too many earthisms, Just a couple that grated were Chrome Dome and Cops....Cops?....why not security?

Some of the humour seemed disjointed and misplaced but most of it was fun.

And what the hell? .... what the hell was Snoke all about? The phrase "your over confidence is your weakness" springs to mind. Rubbish death.

But overall... very enjoyable. nice to see Yoda as a puppet again rather than CGI.

Bryancd ,
I don’t know the in’s and out’s of the deal with Disney , nor should I ( it’s none of my business ) . I too have enjoyed the subsequent films - TFA and Rogue One to varying degrees .
My lament is that , the creator of the series seems to have been discarded ( for whatever reason/ s ) if what you’ve posted is true .
That , plus the fact ( as others have stated ) the seemingly unexpected , opportunistic way the OT characters have been handled / treated .
I really don’t have an opinion regarding Disney , I guess my feeling of melancholy lies at the feet of those responsible - the filmmakers ... and the stories they’re telling .

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really, once they ditched his ST concept ideas he walked.

Well from what i heard he was told something that made him sale Star Wars but when he gave them an outline where he had in mind. Kathleen and Disney changed there mind and made Lucas no longer care about what they did movie wise thus he called it a Divorce. While he did say he Liked Rogue One he likely isnt going too trash the movies just comment on that its not what he would do cause in Lucas mind its always about The Skywalkers and now the only Skywalker is the one who killed Han Solo.

Well from what i heard he was told something that made him sale Star Wars but when he gave them an outline where he had in mind. Kathleen and Disney changed there mind and made Lucas no longer care about what they did movie wise thus he called it a Divorce. While he did say he Liked Rogue One he likely isnt going too trash the movies just comment on that its not what he would do cause in Lucas mind its always about The Skywalkers and now the only Skywalker is the one who killed Han Solo.

That’s right.

Rey is a Skywalker

Just saying

@Bryancd ,
I don’t know the in’s and out’s of the deal with Disney , nor should I ( it’s none of my business ) . I too have enjoyed the subsequent films - TFA and Rogue One to varying degrees .
My lament is that , the creator of the series seems to have been discarded ( for whatever reason/ s ) if what you’ve posted is true .
That , plus the fact ( as others have stated ) the seemingly unexpected , opportunistic way the OT characters have been handled / treated .
I really don’t have an opinion regarding Disney , I guess my feeling of melancholy lies at the feet of those responsible - the filmmakers ... and the stories they’re telling .

When Disney first bought the property it was announced that George Lucas would still be involved as a consultant or whatever the official term is. You can see interviews on Youtube of Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy being interviewed, where she refers to him as the "keeper of the flame". Later on, there was apparently some disagreement between Lucas and the folk at Lucasfilm regarding the direction that TFA was taking. Basically, they split up over the creative differences. There is an hour long interview on Youtube of Lucas by Charlie Rose. Lucas analogized the situation as a "break-up" or "divorce". I don't really remember which term he used exactly. He states in the interview that he wanted to be more bold and push the story in new directions, Lucasfilm/Disney wanted to play it safe. Therein was the crux of the disagreement.

I agree with you, it is sad that Lucas isn't involved anymore. But, if he wanted to pursue some artistic vision, he shouldn't have sold the property.

I know the whole point of this film is life goes on, ends and beginnings.
But I feel like Star Wars died today.

The film worked for me and I thought it was good, it just seems like everyone I care about is dying.
Real people, made up people, good people.
Its my age I suppose.
"We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving you things and begins taking them away."

I did like it, much more than TFA, more suspense in the first 15 mins than in the whole star killer base assault.

but this is my whole problem with the new trilogy... Mark Harrison and Carrie (were) all alive, well and acting.
and not one person within Disney (I'm looking at you JJ) wanted to make even one film with them in it.

What A Waste.

And now it's to late for that to ever happen.

i like Rey Kylo and Finn and Poe but to waste the big three like that was just insanity.

Also It does seem such a waste that there's a new trilogy and Luke doesn't even leave the island.

Sorry I do like it even though I'm moaning.

Seems that Disney would have been better off making a movie out of KOTOR.

And let the Skywalker family, remain in the Lucas' fantasy tales and legends.

Also It does seem such a waste that there's a new trilogy and Luke doesn't even leave the island.

Sorry I do like it even though I'm moaning.

I agree, however.

This story is not about Luke or Leia Skywalker, they got their time to shine 40 years ago.

The story is about the next generation kids. Rey and Ben Skywalker.

Edit: We lucky we even still have the Falcon

Wow!
The Star Wars film to put me off Star Wars!
I can't believe that JJ's mashup felt like a truly better film.
This was a fan film calamity of such epic proportions.
I was completely lost from Luke's first scene onwards.
Terrible Peter Jackson style cgi.
A legacy trashing interpretation of Luke - I didn't mind the hermit story but so badly written.
Chaotic story lines.
Some good emotional pay offs but also too many wrong ones.
The tone was off for me.

I'll post what I liked in a bit once I've calmed down!

My biggest issues with the Sequel Trilogy so far is it made the OT basically pointless, the victory at the end of Jedi might as well not have happened. 30 years later and it's the same situation with different names. The original characters are misused and I personally just don't give a damn about the new ones, they're just not interesting. I loved Rogue One but after seeing Episode 8 I think it was a complete fluke, Disney has killed Star Wars for me. I'm not complaining tho I still have 1-6 and R1 but after how much I disliked part 8 I'm done the new films Don't exist for me.

Chicagovader I totally get what you are saying and I truly understand how so many people feel this way but....... lots of people don't like the prequels yet you say you still have 1-6 so you like the prequels yes?

At this point we just need to lower our cultural expectations and enjoy the good bits, and the good bits are different for everybody.

I find good bits in all the films, animated clone wars, cgi clone wars, rebels, even the holiday special had a good cartoon.

My favourite was Empire and looks like it will always be at this rate.

Did anyone else like the kid with the broom at the end. In the "old days" there were lots of Jedi and force sensitive kids around and I thought this was a nice nod to that :)

@Chicagovader I totally get what you are saying and I truly understand how so many people feel this way but....... lots of people don't like the prequels yet you say you still have 1-6 so you like the prequels yes?

At this point we just need to lower our cultural expectations and enjoy the good bits, and the good bits are different for everybody.

I find good bits in all the films, animated clone wars, cgi clone wars, rebels, even the holiday special had a good cartoon.

My favourite was Empire and looks like it will always be at this rate.

Did anyone else like the kid with the broom at the end. In the "old days" there were lots of Jedi and force sensitive kids around and I thought this was a nice nod to that :)

The kid with the broom was great...as I said earlier, I hope they pick this story up going fwd. At least I hope so...and hope is a key word in Star Wars as it is in real life. Now the resistance is down to one shipload of people in an almost 100 year old vessel. From there on only hope is left...;-)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back