Fantastic Beasts 2 - Dumbledore’s Wand?

The14thDr

Sr Member
I’ve just seen this on the official Fantastic Beasts Instagram page:
559a6075ca8b1792618e30fb65b0dfba.jpg

The one on the left must be Grindelwald’s (at this point he would have had the Elder Wand) and I presume the wand on the right is Dumbledore’s.

The two actually look quite similar I terms of shape, but I can’t tell how long Dumbledore’s is as the photo cuts off the end of the wand.

So, who’s going to be the first to attempt a replica? [emoji6]

EDIT: is it just me who thinks the Elder Wand looks black in this photo?

That’s great, thanks.

Part of me thinks this is slightly shorter than the Elder Wand (perhaps 14.5”?)

Happy to be proven wrong, of course. [emoji4]

I like the design but it’s weird that his own wand resembles the Elder Wand so much. Maybe it’s supposed to be the Elder Wand and it just looks different because different production designers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the design but it’s weird that his own wand resembles the Elder Wand so much. Maybe it’s supposed to be the Elder Wand and it just looks different because different production designers?
Could be. Although I doubt the differences would be quite so obvious if that was the case. (But that could explain why this Elder Wand is a different colour to the previous prop.)

Having said this, I do agree that the resemblance is too much to be a coincidence. I suppose the only way we’ll know for sure is when the movie comes out (or more information is released in the run-up.)

Last edited:
The first teaser for the sequel was posted today; a shot of all the main characters stood together - including the young Dumbledore holding his wand!
2e5cca4deaebcee49d6ab765e3bdb316.jpg

It’s far too small to make out any details, but if nothing else it does prove that the wand we saw before was indeed Dumbledore’s.
353e82281f83b6a536b9ffdad121fc9d.jpg

It's Dumbledore's for sure. Not sold on the idea of just how similar it is the Elder Wand, a wand which few knew of existing. It smacks of the concept artists and designers trying to make it intentionally a cheap-looking rip-off.

I finished my replica today. For this wand I’m using a piece of 15mm thick dowel (I’ve estimated the length to be just shorter than the Elder Wand - around 14.5”)

I don’t have access to a lathe, so I had to carve the entire thing by hand - what you see is the product of around 4 1/2 hours’ work split over two days.
e284d2e7051fef5ef55a2e2c98dadfc6.jpg

Obviously there are some imperfections, but nothing that can’t be disguised by a coat of black paint. [emoji6]
5a5219adbb59d465e0f89c0037539ece.jpg

I couldn’t make out what those symbols are on the base of the wand, so for now I painted this section a pale gold with a rough approximation of those symbols drawn on with darker gold (I can always revisit this once more references are available.)

For the thick ring at the very base of the wand, I used a length of 1/4” dowel to attach a flat clay ball. I left this to set for 48 hours then painted it a mottled brown/black colour.

Finally, I coated the entire wand in matte finish Mod Podge to seal the paint.
4a616e83583e1a277ccf51d20051310a.jpeg

I think the two wands may be intentionally similar because of the fact that Dumbledore and Grindewald were supposedly similar in many ways, and that was why Dumbledore was so attracted to and influenced by Grindewald initially. Anyhow, It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Rowling herself has directed the wand be styled in the same vein as the Grindewald's Elder wand.

Nice job on the wand replica 14thDr!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may be onto something with that theory. There are just too many similarities for it to be a coincidence or a blunder on the prop makers’ parts.

I’m pretty proud of how this one turned out if I do say so myself, overall it took around 6 hours split across 4 days, and as far as I know it’s one of the first (if not the first) replicas in the entire world! :D

Obviously it was the filmmakers intention to have them look similar, but it doesn't make sense. One is a fabled wand which no one knew what it looked like, and the other a wand fashioned by a wand maker in Britain.

Obviously it was the filmmakers intention to have them look similar, but it doesn't make sense. One is a fabled wand which no one knew what it looked like, and the other a wand fashioned by a wand maker in Britain.

Didn't Ollivander tell Harry, "The wand chooses the wizard..." ? Like chooses like, if you know what I mean?

Didn't Ollivander tell Harry, "The wand chooses the wizard..." ? Like chooses like, if you know what I mean?

I said the same thing.

And this to a certain degree is born out in Harry's wand. It is the compliment of Voldemort's wand because there is a part of Voldemort in Harry. Like finds like.

maybe.. the wand maker who had the Elder wand made a wand similar to it.. to throw people off the trail of the real one.. im sure other people were looking for it other then Dumbledore and Grindelwald

For a novice fan, are the Nobel Collection wands decent replicas?

for the price I'm not complaining, but if they're inaccuracies all over the place, I could probably make my own.

Great work on the wand I'll be working on this costume, so happily following!
Thanks! I’m sure once more reference material surfaces the imperfections in my wand will become more noticeable, but for the moment I’m very happy with it - even more so considering how unique it is, given that I haven’t seen any other replicas being made so far. [emoji3] I’d love to see some photos once you start working on your costume.

For a novice fan, are the Nobel Collection wands decent replicas?

for the price I'm not complaining, but if they're inaccuracies all over the place, I could probably make my own.
For a novice fan, there is certainly nothing wrong with the Noble Collection wands. They generally are very high quality replicas, and IIRC many of them were made from the same moulds as the movie props - or at least that’s what I remember hearing anyway, I could very well be mistaken.

I only own one of Noble’s replicas - the Elder Wand seen in my photo above - and it really does look stunning. Although I don’t think it could take much handling without breaking; I’m not sure whether they have metal cores or are resin all the way through, but I’m certainly less comfortable swinging my Noble wand around than I am my wooden replicas. [emoji3] I hope some of this rambling helps.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back