The Dark Tower (Post-release)

seen the movie and i think it is not that bad. quite enjoyed it to be honest. never read the books so nothing to compare but the movie was good.

never read the books so nothing to compare but the movie was good.

As a standalone movie I could see how people 'could' get into it. The biggest disservice the film does is letting people who have never read the books think it's ANYTHING like the books. I'm actually re-reading the series again and this film just compounds the disappointment of what 'could have been' and 'should have been'. I think if you went and read the books you would end up hating the movie.

I gave up on comparing books to movies a long time ago actualy. Or anything based on true events: based in true story, names and events are changed ...

I now just go and enjoy my evening seeing a movie.

From what I have seen everybody that liked the film had not read the books, those who DID read the books it was the scariest King film ever, and not in the way it was intended

I hope they just let it die now... NO continuing with the TV series.

Now, just gotta figure how at age 41, I can somehow get big enough in Hollywood that me and my writing partner can get a crack at this down the line.

After the movie we grabbed eats and discussed everything that was wrong and what they COULD have done.

They could have made that first book amazing... just dumb decisions all around.

I would even keep Idris... and I thought the kid who played Jake was great...

But the story they were in?

What a failure bringing that series to life.

It was meh. It felt like they a typical Hollywood movie that just went through the motions.

The fast reloading by thumbing the rounds into the cylinder was cool, but the mid-air reload was dumb.

I read the book a long time ago... not sure i even finished it. If I did, it was the second book that I gave up on because, like someone else said, it was all over the place.

I always found Kings books overrate and boring anyway. Short stories were good, but I always preferred Koontz to King.

One thing...
They refer to "The Shine". I don't know if it was referred to as such in the books but I always felt like King made all these references that had the potential to connect his entire universe but never really took them anyway. How cool would it have been to have a scene where Danny Torrence (from The Shining) is referenced or better yet have him as the seer instead of Arra?

It was meh. It felt like they a typical Hollywood movie that just went through the motions.

The fast reloading by thumbing the rounds into the cylinder was cool, but the mid-air reload was dumb.

I read the book a long time ago... not sure i even finished it. If I did, it was the second book that I gave up on because, like someone else said, it was all over the place.

I always found Kings books overrate and boring anyway. Short stories were good, but I always preferred Koontz to King.

One thing...
They refer to "The Shine". I don't know if it was referred to as such in the books but I always felt like King made all these references that had the potential to connect his entire universe but never really took them anyway. How cool would it have been to have a scene where Danny Torrence (from The Shining) is referenced or better yet have him as the seer instead of Arra?

"The Shine" or "the Touch" is very important in the series, and it's absolutely chock-a-block with references and characters from other books, though it's very subtle until book 3 or 4 (in four, they actually briefly visit the world of the Stand, post super-flu outbreak, for example).

Just watched this the other day. There was some cool action and all, but it just felt like they built it up, then, its over before you can blink, leaving it empty feeling.

I watched it the other day. Not great, but not bad. I've seen better and horrible Stephen King adaptations throughout my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was sitting down with 4 other fillm makers, 2 who were animators, one a story editor, and the other my writing partner....and all big Dark Tower fans.

As true Dark Tower fans we plotted out how we would do it as a series. We didn't argue... we were pretty much all on the same page.

I only say this because we as 5 fans came up with an amazing way of telling the story that was true to the actual books, and would probably be excepted by most Dark Tower fans... I mean we all were on the same page the whole time - and that rarely happens.

And yet we get our first Dark Tower movie and it's this non starter, uninteresting take.

So bummed that we finally got to see Roland, and Jake, and it was so completely missing the point. I've already forgotten almost all of it.

Last edited:
Ive never read any of the books...so I had zero expectations. I liked it (free on a plane). I knew the majority here didnt like it so I had low expectations. The first scene was awesome and I kept expecting for it to fall off a cliff. But it never did. It held my thoughts and entertained me. With all that said, I like this world enough to read the series. The Disney does Stephen King comment was accurate. The kid was a little to beiberish.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back